• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Adding long hair?

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I plan on working on my first fursuit...if/when I ever have spare money to get the materials. So in the meantime I’m living off tutorials and practicing my stitching. It’s going to be a long term project and my family is pitching in to help as they love supporting my art projects. Materials make great presents.

However...the character I want to make a suit of has really long hair. On their head. I have found great techniques for short, puffy hair...and have been told don’t use wigs. Not sure how to make this happen.

I used to do a lot of doll edits and toy edits so I was thinking about sewing it in similarly to a doll, or plugging and gluing underneath so it’s sturdy. Since I haven’t actually made a suit before I wasn’t sure if this would actually work. It’s going to be time consuming as hell but I am so familiar with it I know I can do it. Get it to lay right and be thick as I want it. (I used to punch extra holes to make it thicker on my dolls)

I just don’t know if that’s a good idea or not. Or if anyone has an idea on how to make a suit with a lot of long head hair...

Fursuitsandmore1022

A Sorta Experienced Fursuit Maker (•̀ᵜ•́)
You absolutely can use wigs, as long as they are good quality and not human hair!
I actually have never used wigs, but I have seen them be used really well!
Heres a example of a wig being used:
You could also use hair wefts/extensions and glue those on the head.

Attachments

• zAMmfna.jpg
    zAMmfna.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 119

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
You can use a wig, one made of good quality synthetic hair. Actually you end up using two (or three) because you end up cutting/splicing to get the wig to fit the fursuit head. I've used wigs to make a mane, feathering and tail for The Old Warhorse, 5 of them, IRRC.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
You absolutely can use wigs, as long as they are good quality and not human hair!
I actually have never used wigs, but I have seen them be used really well!
Heres a example of a wig being used:
You could also use hair wefts/extensions and glue those on the head.
You can use a wig, one made of good quality synthetic hair. Actually you end up using two (or three) because you end up cutting/splicing to get the wig to fit the fursuit head. I've used wigs to make a mane, feathering and tail for The Old Warhorse, 5 of them, IRRC.
Alrighty. Glad to hear about people who have done it before for sure. I'm having a lot of trouble finding ways to do it online other than a whole lot of "no wig!!" but maybe they mean don't just slap a wig on and pretend you're solid.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
This thread is relevant to my interests. Anything more tuan a short hair floof is a challenge...why did I havr to be so fabulous? x)

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
This was posted in another thread I found and I think would be helpful. Would like some more opinions or ideas if anyone knows a good technique.

I hope this helps, but I remembered seeing this tutorial on the Fursuit-Tutorials tumblr and found it again: www.furaffinity.net: Removable Fursuit Wig Tutorial by MordrudesMonsters

And here's something that would be a little more advanced:

I don't know too much about this kind of thing personally, but I"m always looking up tutorials and stuff for ideas, so with any luck it'll come in handy for someone else ^^

JinxiFox

Insanity can be such a beautiful thing.

JinxiFox

Insanity can be such a beautiful thing.