• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Admin Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Steganography", the ability to hide text messages (or even entire computer files) within an image, including JPEG images, without visibly altering the image. Look it up.

Last edited:

vappykid5

Un-Official Cherry Bomb Maker
So is he/she gone yet? And what pin needle did PriestRevan's ass stomped on tonight? o.o;;

ShelbyDingo

Resident Chimaeric Dingo
S'ok. The dude was dumb enough to use his actual ISP -vs- a proxy in both this incident and the one involving ebonyleopard. We've got more than enough logs to send his ISP.

Good riddance.
This was just an exercise in futility, thanks to the armpit of the internets.

Also, this is why we never can have nice things--kids, /b/-tards and trolls from every corner of the digital universe.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!

Pi

"Steganography", the ability to hide hidden messages (or even entire files) within an image file, including JPEG images, without visibly altering the image. Look it up.

bzzt wrong try again

steg'ing a virus into an image is not going to mean that the computer looks at it and magically knows there's an executable in there.

Learn how to computer security, thanks

JamestheDoc

Furry Artist
S'ok. The dude was dumb enough to use his actual ISP -vs- a proxy in both this incident and the one involving ebonyleopard. We've got more than enough logs to send his ISP.

Drag, I'm just curious, I don't know much about computer and internet security. How exactly is his ISP number used, do you send it to authorities? Somehow make it impossible for him to visit the site?

oniontrain

Horror Generator
Protip: to execute something hidden in a jpg you have to both know its there and rename the jpg appropriately.

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid
The internet is stupid enough as it. Fuck if I'm reading some dicktard's epeen poetry showing off his only triumph in life.

True, but it is wildly popular

ShelbyDingo

Resident Chimaeric Dingo
In the end, it was just someone bored enough to attack the wrong place. Srsly, though. This has to be the dumbest shit I've ever seen, to be honest. I mean, I've seen sites hacked--but nothing as large as FurAffinity. Ugh.. I'm just glad it's over ...

..isn't it?

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
So when's the site coming back :l

edit: Also, I've still never heard of Nylak. She sounds like some sort of slut given the sexual/aggressive nature of the comments that mention her.

An image can be modified in such a way that it can cause a buffer overflow in specifically-targeted programs, thus allowing arbitrary code to be executed.

WMF exploit. Look it up. The possibility also exists with other image formats. Just because they haven't been used yet doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, nothing prevents someone from renaming an infected WMF file to have a JPG extension.

Ok, enough of this foolishness. We'll just leave it at this factual post. Nothing more to say.

Last edited:

Tamarik

Yay kittay bewbs!
Drag, I'm just curious, I don't know much about computer and internet security. How exactly is his ISP number used, do you send it to authorities? Somehow make it impossible for him to visit the site?

They'll send the logs to the user's ISP, who will check those to see if the user has violated their Terms of Service. Almost unilaterally, using an ISP's services to attack or otherwise "hack" a site is forbidden in a ToS agreement.

From there, it's up to FA and/or the ISP to decide if they want to press criminal charges. Usually, though, things end at the ISP cutting off service...

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid

ryonekochan

you don't actually know what you're talking about but okay

It's common practice on the -chans to turn .rar files into .jpg files to make them easier to upload and harder to detect for those that aren't in the know. It's actually a neat little process. So yes, you can hide shizz in jpegs. Accessing it is a different matter, yes, but the storage can be done.

Tamarik

Yay kittay bewbs!
An image can be modified in such a way that it can cause a buffer overflow in specifically-targeted programs, thus allowing arbitrary code to be executed.

WMF exploit. Look it up.

That's the fault of the poorly coded program, not the jpg, though. Just like a lot of Windows 95/98/XP pains can be traced back to emu10k.sys (screw you, Creative).

Correlation is not necessarily causation.

Pi

WMF exploit. Look it up. The possibility also exists with other image formats. Just because they haven't been used yet doesn't mean they don't exist.

Ok, enough of this foolishness. We'll just leave it at this factual post. Nothing more to say.

If there were seriously that serious of a vulnerability it would either have been discovered by now or put on a banking website, not some dumb furry page. Some common fucking sense. Look it up. As I said, learn how to computer security, not steve-gibson fearmongering bullshit.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
You can hide just about anything in a jpeg file if you know what you're doing. Or any file for that matter.

Even programs, yes. But those programs can not run if your computer treats them as data. All computers treat JPEGs as either image files with data and no code or as unknown files with unknown data and no code.

Either way, no code, no virus and no worky.

one of my old computers was taken out by a jpeg.

One of your old computers was either taken out by an exploit for which a patch was long since published by your OS vendor, by the crappiest image viewer ever (one so bad it makes Microsoft look good), or by a simple "this-is-a-picture-honest!.jpg...........exe.vbs.scr.bat" trick.

Fiz

shut up bitch
You can hide just about anything in a jpeg file if you know what you're doing. Or any file for that matter. one of my old computers was taken out by a jpeg.

What the fuck are you talking about.

I've seen people hide .zips & .rars as a .jpg extension but you had to go and change the file extension to .zip or .rar to even run it. So possibly, yes, you could hide anything that would trip off a virus (.exe most likely), but you'd have to change the file extension to even run it.

So, whatever fucked up shit you got from a .jpeg wasn't a .jpeg. Looks like you downloaded ohMURR.jpg.bin

Status
Not open for further replies.