• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Adobe Alternatives

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Any art based software that people use the most. These are alternatives I imagine would help.
Which art program? Photoshop? Illustrator? Dreamweaver...?

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Basically Photoshop and Illustrator and some of their video related software.
Well, Krita is good for digital art (photoshop and illustrator). It even has some vector capabilities.

I have to get back to you on video editors.

Alison Savros

Deceased
Well, Krita is good for digital art (photoshop and illustrator). It even has some vector capabilities.

I have to get back to you on video editors.
There's quite a few out there I found. I thought I'd mention them on the list. This was mostly for if it helped others who were planning on boycotting Adobe. It seems to be happening with a lot of frustrated former customers.

Alison Savros

Deceased
I don't really think its worth boycotting. We have options now~
True. I just thought it would help for those who do make that decision. Maybe boycotting it is going a bit overboard but at the same time they did pay to use the old software. I know I can't always afford a subscription based service myself sometimes.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Jevlin

3D Character Artist
e8fe99c7f34b82739e8640824cec584eb6d81d5d.png

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I use GIMP and SAI myself after the adobe shenanigans made it so I couldn’t have Illustrator anymore. And to be fair the other things like InDesign has good (or better) Microsoft office counterparts. Publisher is my friend. Excel is my friend. Word basically is my wife.

*ahem* as for video editing, there’s a lot of good freeware out there. Lots of good lists if you start asking what the YouTubers use.

A

Arvid

For Art then:
  • Gimp
  • Paint.net
  • FireAlpaca
  • Krita
For Video:
  • Shotcut
  • Sony Vegas
  • IMovie
Now, while I myself don't use Adobe Products, it will most likely be hard to get used to a different Workflow and Interface when you switch Programs.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I didn't hear of any changes to Adobe; could you outline what they are? Do they affect things like Adobe reader?
Adobe is being sued by Dolby over some royalty shenanigans stemming from Creative Cloud. Before CC, Dolby was paid (as per contract) according to the number of physical disks sold. With CC, there are no physical disks--just subscriptions to download-ware. Problem: Adobe was paying per subscription...which (unlike physical disks) can have multiple applications with Dolby tech within. As far as Dolby is concerned, this enabled Adobe to skip out on a heaping pile of payments.

Effect on end users? Older versions of CC (with Dolby tech) are no longer available for download. Newer versions may not work on older computers that were just fine with the older CC software. Adobe insinuates that (without naming names) that Dolby might also come after end users continuing to use the older CC applications.

Oh, and if you can run the latest version, don't worry--the price of your subscription is going up.

---PCJ

Italo Fox

Is Affinity any good? Like how well does it stand against Adobe?

I use my work license for Adobe so I'm in no pickle or anything, but it's good to scout ahead for options. I'm for one not a fan of supporting companies that have monopolistic behaviors.

Jevlin

3D Character Artist
Is Affinity any good? Like how well does it stand against Adobe?
I can't speak from experience, unfortunately, but Affinity Photo is known as the biggest competitor of Photoshop and the people I talked with think it's a great alternative - some think It's better than Photoshop. I doubt that one, though, but it definitely seems like it's worth a try. If I'm correct, you can try it for 10 days for free, if you'd like to.
store.serif.com: Affinity Store