• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Adopt Opinions

Chomby

Fart in the Wind
DISCLAIMER: This is not a rant on everyone who doesn't like and/or aren't into adopts. This is only about people who make comments similar to the ones I used as examples when the situation didn't call for them.

You thought this would be your typical discussion about adopts/adopt artists when clicking on this thread, didn't you? Well it's not.

This is about people who don't care for adopts. Yes, I can see where you are coming from. I have read the same arguments repeatedly. They are absolutely valid opinions and I have no issue with them for the most part.

The problem lies in how some of you cannot keep your opinions to yourselves sometimes. I can't count how many times I've shared an adopt and said how happy I was to get it, only to be brought down with remarks like "Adopts are stupid," "Why don't you just create your own character for free," "You must lack creativity then," and "You're just wasting your money."

Really, I have explained many times why I both design and adopt characters. I'm tired of explaining it. I'm tired of having to justify what I do with my own money. What I do with it is not hurting you at all. Why do you need to degrade someone's spending choices?

Please, if you don't care for adopts, please don't belittle what people spent their money on directly and please don't tell people what to do with their money. It's insulting.

Again, your opinions are valid and I respect your views on this, but please don't shove them down people's throats. It doesn't cost you anything to let someone else be happy with something you're not personally into. Please keep your thoughts to yourselves sometimes.

Sincerely,
Someone who adopts characters who could really be given a break.

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
I have but one thing to say: I don't really adopt characters. Don't care for the concept as a whole.

Chomby

Fart in the Wind

Rassah

I see no problem with how people choose to spend their own money, no matter what it is, but I also see no problem of just copying a species or a character style and adding your own designs to it without paying for the "adopt" part ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cowboi

DM me your favorite dinosaur
DISCLAIMER: This is not a rant on everyone who doesn't like and/or aren't into adopts. This is only about people who make comments similar to the ones I used as examples when the situation didn't call for them.

You thought this would be your typical discussion about adopts/adopt artists when clicking on this thread, didn't you? Well it's not.

This is about people who don't care for adopts. Yes, I can see where you are coming from. I have read the same arguments repeatedly. They are absolutely valid opinions and I have no issue with them for the most part.

The problem lies in how some of you cannot keep your opinions to yourselves sometimes. I can't count how many times I've shared an adopt and said how happy I was to get it, only to be brought down with remarks like "Adopts are stupid," "Why don't you just create your own character for free," "You must lack creativity then," and "You're just wasting your money."

Really, I have explained many times why I both design and adopt characters. I'm tired of explaining it. I'm tired of having to justify what I do with my own money. What I do with it is not hurting you at all. Why do you need to degrade someone's spending choices?

Please, if you don't care for adopts, please don't belittle what people spent their money on directly and please don't tell people what to do with their money. It's insulting.

Again, your opinions are valid and I respect your views on this, but please don't shove them down people's throats. It doesn't cost you anything to let someone else be happy with something you're not personally into. Please keep your thoughts to yourselves sometimes.

Sincerely,
Someone who adopts characters who could really be given a break.
OK, I’ve seen adopts all over the place, and I’m just curious. What exactly are they? I’ve never been able to understand - does an artist just design a character/species and then someone “adopts” (purchases) it? Do they purchase the piece? The rights to the character? How does it work?
Also I have no care what people spend their money on, you keep rocking what you like to do! :)

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I've adopted a few, but I have almost never used them, since in my story I prefer to do my own spin of things and they're mostly just side characters compared to my main cast.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
OK, I’ve seen adopts all over the place, and I’m just curious. What exactly are they? I’ve never been able to understand - does an artist just design a character/species and then someone “adopts” (purchases) it? Do they purchase the piece? The rights to the character? How does it work?

They are basically a character created by an artist who then proceeds to sell said character to someone else. I think basically when one purchases an adopt, they basically pay for all the rights to that character. So they can commission art of that character, develop them and use them elsewhere in different places. The piece is normally just a bonus.

I have to admit the whole idea of getting an adopt is still a little bit weird for me. That might just be my own overactive brain churning out characters like no tomorrow, even though I can kinda understand why someone wants to get an adopt (I've nearly been tempted into getting adopts a couple of times mainly for looking awesome and just striking a cord with me). It's not something that bothers me though, it's people's own choice at the end of the day. On the flipside, I'm curious on why someone would go through the effort to create a unique character only to sell it later? It's just something I am curious on myself.

Last edited:

cowboi

DM me your favorite dinosaur
They are basically a character created by an artist who then proceeds to sell said character to someone else.I think basically when one purchases an adopt, they basically pay for all the rights to that character. So they can commission art of that character, develop them and use them elsewhere in different places. The piece normally is just a bonus.

I have to admit the whole idea of getting an adopt is still a little bit weird for me. That might just be my own overactive brain churning out characters like no tomorrow, even though I can kinda understand why someone wants to get an adopt (I've nearly been tempted into getting adopts a couple of times mainly for looking awesome and just striking a cord with me). It's not something that bothers me though, it's people's own choice at the end of the day. On the flipside, I'm curious on why someone would go through the effort to create a unique character only to sell it later? It's just something I am curious on myself.
Thanks for the explanation! That makes a lot more sense now lol
I could see making adoptables now. I like to draw character designs, but usually it’s just exercises for different types of poses or outfits etc., so I could see wanting to make a little bit of side cash there.

just.chillin

Hey there's no harm in it. I personally think it's cool since it shows your support for an artist that you have respect for, it's your money after all like you said.

pingpong99

Never understood people that are really dedicated to hating on the concept. Value is relative, if there's a market for it there's a value in it, even if some people don't get why.
It's also a really cool/fun way for artists to go nuts on practicing character designs and making money doing it. Some people like to diversify so they get to do work that isn't *purely* commission-related.. Not to sound like I'm clutching my pearls or anything, but making money as an artist is difficult enough as is and I can't help but feel like this sentiment only serves to harm artists trying to make a living. Maybe that sounds dramatic, idunno!!
People outside of art/furry circles already have a hard time understanding why people would even spend money on regular commissions, so I don't see why spending money on an interesting character design should be such a leap.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Ah, I am back from hiatus after the site went down for a while last year. I saw this post and couldn't resist replying. Good to see you, Chomby.

I'm laughing that this is even a point of contention. And I agree with the “if someone wants to spend their money on something, what does it matter to you?” sentiment.

I cannot even wrap my head around the thinking here... The people who are against adopts, I wonder if they've ever purchased digital currency on an app game that may or may not even exist in a few years' time? When you point the finger at someone, there are some fingers pointing back at yourself. Don't get me wrong, I shudder to think of the money I have invested in video game subscriptions and digital skins/mounts/toys. That's how I choose to spend my discretionary income. I soothe myself by saying “it supports the game / is entertainment for me.”

And that's what you do when you buy from an artist. The people who are against adopts, do you own a painting? Why not just get a canvas and paint your own watering can filled with flowers? Maybe it's not that easy. Or maybe you like the way that watering can looks.

As an artist myself, I really enjoy other artists' art. And maybe I can appreciate that another artist came up with a unique style / creature that I would not have thought of. Instead of just copying their style, even if I were that talented, maybe I want to give the artist credit for such a unique idea by purchasing their piece.

In a world where people can and do buy a Tweet, why is it weird for someone to purchase the rights (and art) to a character?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Ah, I am back from hiatus after the site went down for a while last year. I saw this post and couldn't resist replying. Good to see you, Chomby.

I'm laughing that this is even a point of contention. And I agree with the “if someone wants to spend their money on something, what does it matter to you?” sentiment.

I cannot even wrap my head around the thinking here... The people who are against adopts, I wonder if they've ever purchased digital currency on an app game that may or may not even exist in a few years' time? When you point the finger at someone, there are some fingers pointing back at yourself. Don't get me wrong, I shudder to think of the money I have invested in video game subscriptions and digital skins/mounts/toys. That's how I choose to spend my discretionary income. I soothe myself by saying “it supports the game / is entertainment for me.”

And that's what you do when you buy from an artist. The people who are against adopts, do you own a painting? Why not just get a canvas and paint your own watering can filled with flowers? Maybe it's not that easy. Or maybe you like the way that watering can looks.

As an artist myself, I really enjoy other artists' art. And maybe I can appreciate that another artist came up with a unique style / creature that I would not have thought of. Instead of just copying their style, even if I were that talented, maybe I want to give the artist credit for such a unique idea by purchasing their piece.

In a world where people can and do buy a Tweet, why is it weird for someone to purchase the rights (and art) to a character?

Um, some of us do make our own art. So it's not like we can't. That's the folly of an artist, to presume they cannot be made elsewhere. I for one don't see the point of purchasing a "style", I care more about said character than how fancy it is. I can draw Scylla over there <-, but I cannot draw hands. So I find people who can draw her with better hands as I gradually improve. I don't care about how fancy a picture is, merely that I spread her concept around. Then again, I've worked with a lot of artists, some even less talented than myself. I'm fine with working with people, but a lot of artists out there have very inflated egos and I normally adopt a character because I think they could fit in my story, only to shove them aside and work on my own characters because well, I know how my characters act and think. To me adopts is a funny thing the younger folk do. I've tried to sell some characters but then I realize that it's like taking a piece of myself away from myself. Very rarely would anyone actually take my character and use them for a mainline story. So I'm like "fuck it I'll just do art trades and commissions instead."

Also, fuck Twitter and the tweet buying system.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Um, some of us do make our own art. So it's not like we can't. That's the folly of an artist, to presume they cannot be made elsewhere. I for one don't see the point of purchasing a "style", I care more about said character than how fancy it is. I can draw Scylla over there <-, but I cannot draw hands. So I find people who can draw her with better hands as I gradually improve. I don't care about how fancy a picture is, merely that I spread her concept around. Then again, I've worked with a lot of artists, some even less talented than myself. I'm fine with working with people, but a lot of artists out there have very inflated egos and I normally adopt a character because I think they could fit in my story, only to shove them aside and work on my own characters because well, I know how my characters act and think. To me adopts is a funny thing the younger folk do. I've tried to sell some characters but then I realize that it's like taking a piece of myself away from myself. Very rarely would anyone actually take my character and use them for a mainline story. So I'm like "fuck it I'll just do art trades and commissions instead."

Also, fuck Twitter and the tweet buying system.
Well, like I said, I am artist too. And I've made all my own art. I can understand what you are saying about not wanting to buy something based solely on style. I feel if someone see an art piece that is some cool amalgamation of a character that they would never dream up, maybe they'd want to purchase it to have for themselves.

My point was that I'm pretty sure everyone, in some form, has spent money on something that someone else would find frivolous. So why judge others for it?

That being said, I'm still trying to understand about buying Tweets. I don't get that one.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Well, like I said, I am artist too. And I've made all my own art. I can understand what you are saying about not wanting to buy something based solely on style. I feel if someone see an art piece that is some cool amalgamation of a character that they would never dream up, maybe they'd want to purchase it to have for themselves.

My point was that I'm pretty sure everyone, in some form, has spent money on something that someone else would find frivolous. So why judge others for it?

That being said, I'm still trying to understand about buying Tweets. I don't get that one.

Maybe, but the thing is that I try to create a medium, or have characters have a standardized design that can be universally seen to that character. (Like say, you wouldn't see Batman in rainbow color for example.) Thus, getting a detail about how they are in a meta written level is more important to me. Then again, I have met a lot of artists with shiny and fancy art, and yet piss poor mentalities and attitudes so I am very wary of people who go out there to make everything all...hollow.

I don't, but then again I find paying more money for an adopt than a codex from Age of Sigmar or Warhammer 40,000 completely ridiculous. But, I'm savvy with my finances. Most adopts I've yet to use in my own stories and are just extras.

Has something to do with a lot of famous people constantly bitching about politics on Twitter....like Ken Penders...