• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ads still visible with FA+

Shiveneve

Maybe I'm just blind but I can't find an option to turn off ads with FA+. As near as I can tell I still see the same number of ads as before?

luffy

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Member
FA+ removes third-party ads. These are ads from external providers like Google. It does not remove community-hosted ads from artists who pay FA directly.

RestrainedRaptor

Well-Known Nuisance
If people are paying an ad-free experience, they should at least have the option to toggle community ads too if they wish.

luffy

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Member
If people are paying an ad-free experience, they should at least have the option to toggle community ads too if they wish.
That's the thing, they aren't. They're paying for exactly what is described on our FA+ page: removal of third-party ads.

RestrainedRaptor

Well-Known Nuisance
That's the thing, they aren't. They're paying for exactly what is described on our FA+ page: removal of third-party ads.
Yeah, I know. I said they should be given the option, if they're paying $5 a month to remove other ads. I'm sure a lot of users don't care about the first/third-party distinction. Additionally, if first-party ads are not being seen by people who are paying not to see them, then those ad impressions go to someone else who's more likely to engage, so it's a win-win.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Then what's the point? People can just use AdBlock and uBlock Origin instead.

People might not want to see adverts for Bosch or Walmart, but still be interested in seeing artists advertise for commissions.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Then what's the point? People can just use AdBlock and uBlock Origin instead.
This, pretty much.
People might not want to see adverts for Bosch or Walmart, but still be interested in seeing artists advertise for commissions.
And this.

Two equally good points but you get what you pay for and at least FA is upfront on what you get.

quoting_mungo

Additionally, if first-party ads are not being seen by people who are paying not to see them, then those ad impressions go to someone else who's more likely to engage, so it's a win-win.
Except FA ads don’t have an impression cap. They’re literally just paid per month. So there isn’t a “budget” of impressions to worry about.

RestrainedRaptor

Well-Known Nuisance
Except FA ads don’t have an impression cap. They’re literally just paid per month. So there isn’t a “budget” of impressions to worry about.
Ah. There I was assuming FA had some level of sophistication for impression/click tracking as part of the service advertisers pay for. My bad!

quoting_mungo

Ah. There I was assuming FA had some level of sophistication for impression/click tracking as part of the service advertisers pay for. My bad!
Getting statistics for how many times your ads were served? Sure. But you seemed to be suggesting the advertiser would somehow be losing out when impressions go to people who would rather not see the ad. That just doesn’t follow when impressions are purely a statistic rather than a limited resource (as in many ad networks have advertisers buy ads per so many impressions rather than just by time frame).

At absolute worst it makes the clickthrough rate look a little worse. Emphasis on “little.”

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Your bad indeed.

We do, in fact, provide that. However, what we don't do is provide impression-based advertising. Our prices are designed to be fair and open to the community as a whole so anybody can access them. We openly and knowingly undersell them. A Kaiju package costs $75 and provides around 5-6 million impressions per month on average. If you were paying impressions-based advertising on any standard advertising platform that would be an ad spend of $1 to 1.5K for the same ad campaign. Maybe more.

All of our ads provide detailed statistics on impressions and click through rates as standard practices sent out to users on a weekly basis.

RestrainedRaptor

Well-Known Nuisance
Okay, but people paying for FA+ should still have the option to not see the ads. As the OP said.

RestrainedRaptor

Well-Known Nuisance
A related issue I saw in a recent journal:

uyFkkb2.png