• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Adventure RP's?

Brandi_Heartpaw

Hello everyone! Kinda new to forums, but I've been around. So. I've been thinking. I've always wanted to do adventure/combat oriented RP's. But one of my biggest concerns, which keeps me from doing a lot, are god-modding, or in a cooperative setting, how do we know what happens? Who keeps one from being in the spotlight? And who adds some surprises? And so I thought of Dungeons and Dragons. What if there was an adventure RP, which was overseen by a narrator (Dungeon Master) that lays out the scene. Maybe throws in a few surprises, but mostly just weaves a world around the RP. They best ones would be the Role Players that love detail.
So my question to you:

1. Do you think it's a good or bad idea?

2. Any Ideas for improvements?

3. Any people interested in experimenting with it?

Revision: Check out my FA Journal! There is a raffle associated with this post, so make sure to check it out and follow
the instructions!

Last edited:

TigerBeacon

Internet Hate Machine
Hello everyone! Kinda new to forums, but I've been around. So. I've been thinking. I've always wanted to do adventure/combat oriented RP's. But one of my biggest concerns, which keeps me from doing a lot, are god-modding, or in a cooperative setting, how do we know what happens? Who keeps one from being in the spotlight? And who adds some surprises? And so I thought of Dungeons and Dragons. What if there was an adventure RP, which was overseen by a narrator (Dungeon Master) that lays out the scene. Maybe throws in a few surprises, but mostly just weaves a world around the RP. They best ones would be the Role Players that love detail.
So my question to you:

What you described was exactly how my old Pokemon RPG operated. It was a forum-based RPG and essentially like any other in most ways except that it relied very heavily on moderator support for progression. A person would make their thread and moderators would be the ones to set up encounters and moderate battles. While it worked pretty well, overtime the moderators pretty much were burning out with how work-heavy it was. We couldn't just promote more moderators due to the exact god-modding and butt-licking people did for one another when moderating their encounters and items, so the system was overhauled to be more independent on mods so people were doing their own stories and were judged for their writing when it was done. It was a tossup on whether it was successful- it eased up on the reliability of the mods but lost that random surprise factor that came with it.

Anyway, forum RPGs aren't uncommon (assuming you were referring to those. People do it different ways). RPG Directory is a good resource to look for ideas, as well as a hub for finding different RPG boards just to check how they operate.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
So my question to you:

This is pretty much what I'm doing right now elsewhere. I have it set in Cyrodiil. I haven't been running it very long though, only like 5 days. It's horrific. Well, not that bad. I'm running it like somewhere between RPs and D&D. It's not thaaaat bad, but I just worry that it'll die, because it's difficult to get people to move along sometimes, when I accidentally end up putting them in situations without giving them much to go on on how to play the situation. I think it could work, but it's just not easy to do, I feel like.

I'm also shite at RPing so there's that holding me back too.

How I did mine was I got people to choose their race, an in-game class (chosen from lists of player and NPC classes on uesp), and personality. Their class has a list of all their skills that they should try and play with, and personality to play their character as.

I haven't seen an actual interactive scene through to the end yet though, so I don't know how well that'll work out. I've pushed three people into a bar fight, and another guy is intimidating some princely looking dude on the road to Cheydinhal (he hasn't got back to me on what he actually wants to do here though, so I might end up just having the princely looking dude run off scared, just to hurry up the story, what little of that there is.

I've only done one actual chance-based action so far, and that was rolling a D20 to see if the NPC starting the bar fight lands a punch or not. A roll of 1-5, the NPC passes, a roll of 6-20, he doesn't. Lower standards than actual D&D, but since I haven't come up with a system to decide skill modifiers (which I should probably just do), I make it a bit easier for the actual players to win. But, I can't say how well it works just yet, since none of the people playing have got back to me with any chance actions yet. It might not work at all. It's definitely a lot easier done in real life with a group. RPing it on a forum where it moves slowly and you can't easily prod people is kind of frustrating.

As long as the people you're playing it with are willing to take it with some level of seriousness, then it can be fun. Most important thing to do to avoid people being ridiculous is to actually make them play characters that have limitations, so they don't do ridiculous stuff. And you can always say "You tried to put the pumpkin up your bum but it didn't work. The guards start yelling at you, and ask if you'd rather go to jail or pay the fine for decent exposure and improper use of a pumpkin." and then let the player decide what they do. If they say "Hit the guard on the head and run away" then roll a D20 or something to decide if they successfully escape, or if the guard grabs them and drags them off to jail, and takes all of their items, and also their pumpkin.

Find willing participants, build a decent character building framework, and get a starting point for the characters (I let the people decide for themselves, but you can have it that they're all together from the start). They give you their own characters' intentions, actions, etc., and you give them feedback, moving the characters and building the world around them. Change up the rules as you go along as you see fit. Easiest to find out what works by just playing it, you can always improve it as you go along. Just make sure you and the players are enjoying themselves most of all.

I don't know how many people you'd find here willing to participate. But I don't know. There are usually people who want to give this sort of thing a try. If people come in purely taking the piss, just tell them that you refuse their character sheet. Have some standards for what you'll allow. Of course, you can allow silliness. Like I would personally allow my players to write "I suck cocks" on the head of a fallen foe.

Anyway though, that's all my thoughts.

Brandi_Heartpaw

@Hateful Bitch
Very well said. I like your ideas. Perhaps you would even be willing to participate in said experiment?
@TigerBeacon
Thanks for the link! It seems very useful.
@Toshabi, Hewge, and Smelge
-Fireballs rain from the sky- You are all on fire. XP

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I have the epic Spaulders of Disease Immunity. :V

Sorry, you have to be level 90 and have 3 red gems and a feldgrau utility gem to equip.
You also need 30 more strength.

Kosdu

You could easily do something like this with test files and badly drawn maps for the game. I have done it, dreamed up systems and worlds, just never got to finishing. I still based it on a D20 system.

However, use Skype and not the forums, much better idea.