• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Advice needed - how do you grow a following?

A

AylinCutiepie

Im really lost in this kind of stuff ^^" and idk if there's a particular thing I'm missing out on? I interact with other people like comment and stuff, and do trades and requests and what not. On Twitter I participate in art shares and have made some mutuals. But is there anything else? I know it can take a lot of time to build a trust with you following but what can you do to build it?

BadRoy

Snake awakens
Im really lost in this kind of stuff ^^" and idk if there's a particular thing I'm missing out on? I interact with other people like comment and stuff, and do trades and requests and what not. On Twitter I participate in art shares and have made some mutuals. But is there anything else? I know it can take a lot of time to build a trust with you following but what can you do to build it?
Those are all good steps to take, but like you said it just takes time. If your artwork is good and people begin to recognize you your following ought to naturally grow over time. Hopefully you don't get too preoccupied with popularity at the expense of your artz.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
If you have a sizeable portfolio, you could take out an ad on FA to draw users to your page. It's worked for a few artists I know.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
The best advice is to keep your work on brand.

Look at TT and IG pages with a following, they one thing they have in common that style is pretty consistent.
This is good advice. People generally seem to like consistency.
They want to know they can expect one sort of thing from you, regularly, and of a certain quality.

Judge Spear

Pawsz said it.
A following comes from consistency and being good at a niche. Don't force what you're into. If there's a schtick you like, get really really good at it and be really frequent about it. People like passion and if your work shows passion, people will be inspired by it and support you if it even remotely aligns with their own sensibilities. You have no idea how many I'm Not a Furry But's follow or at least appreciate my content because I give a shit.

Learn peak hours of the sites you upload to and be mindful of ways sites today suppress content. For example, Twitter WILL suppress images with captions that have an @. People will outright just not see it in their feed.

Fluxbender

If you have a sizeable portfolio, you could take out an ad on FA to draw users to your page. It's worked for a few artists I know.
I was looking at this today and it seems like you have to have a website first to buy an advertisement spot, or am I wrong? Can you just link your FA/DA/yadda-yadda page instead? It's going to be a little while before I can have a site up and running.

vickers

I was looking at this today and it seems like you have to have a website first to buy an advertisement spot, or am I wrong? Can you just link your FA/DA/yadda-yadda page instead? It's going to be a little while before I can have a site up and running.
A lot of people just link their FA page, so it shouldn't be a problem

Waltherp28

Like others have said it's all about consistency. My biggest spikes in following have always been when I become obsessed with one specific thing and ONLY draw that. Specificity, consistency, and passion I think are the main 3... A little luck is great too

Hlavco

From what I've seen, unless you're so talented or distinctive that your work goes viral early on, a major factor is just... posting a lot of stuff. Everything you upload to FA gets a few seconds of screentime on the front page, and that often leads to a couple favorites or, if you're lucky, a new follower. You just gotta build that snowball up.

My artistic profile has kinda developed in slow-motion because I only bother to upload something once a month or so, but it's finally getting to where my pictures get some decent feedback most of the time.

Tails_155

Bun bun bun
A bit of luck is in it, too. I don't really have a FA following, nor a consistent one on dA, but I do get a couple hundred views on dA on average, which is something. Share stuff on other SM if you feel comfortable with it (where applicable. Don't post art in a group that doesn't have an art channel, etc. unless there are exceptions.)

Fluxbender

a major factor is just... posting a lot of stuff. Everything you upload to FA gets a few seconds of screentime on the front page, and that often leads to a couple favorites or, if you're lucky, a new follower.
I have noticed this and can confirm that it works, but in order for it to be most effective you have to know the 'prime time' to upload. No idea what that is for DA or FA, but I can say with confidence that it's not after 6 or 7 PM EST on weekdays.

Share stuff on other SM
What is 'SM'?

Tails_155

Bun bun bun
I have noticed this and can confirm that it works, but in order for it to be most effective you have to know the 'prime time' to upload. No idea what that is for DA or FA, but I can say with confidence that it's not after 6 or 7 PM EST on weekdays.

What is 'SM'?
Social Media

kidchameleon

Obsessed With Shapes & Colours
pretty much all of my friends who have big followings on Twitter got there because they were retweeted by significantly bigger accounts for art they made while a specific meme-y trend was big. I think for any kind of "quick" growth beyond the organic steady growth supplied by just sticking at it and posting regularly, you've really just got to luck out - stick to your niche, but keep an eye on trends/memes and when they fit with your brand "cash in" on them. sometimes all it takes is that one popular post to give your social media presence a big boost, and as long as you've got the work to back yourself up the wider audience you'll reach with a popular post should translate into a decent number of people sticking around

Inafox

I cannot see your art. If you're afraid to show it, may be you are fighting your own inconfidence.
If you want followers you have to be confident, it shows in your presentation.
People will become confident in you if your art feels confident.