• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Against The Grain: Furs Who Break The Stereotypes

Giorgio Gabriel

You Will Be Godlike.
Assuming that you've had a high enough I.Q. to read the thread title and not end up with your eyes glazing over, allow me to begin.

There are certain trends you have no doubt noticed in the fandom - trends which can immediately identify the species of one's fursona. Sometimes it's not even the way a fursona acts, but rather the way said species in drawn. As bluntly as possible, I will address them.

Foxes are sexfiends who can never get enough cock and tend towards loose sexual morals. Chances are, the animal taking it up the rear from someone else is a skinny fox, often with a silly expression on his face.
They are the backbone of the fandom and chances are if someone knows a furry it is highly probably that it is a fox. They have little interest in anything aside from the next yiff. Usually gay.

Dragons are ridiculously dramatic to the point of being hilariously overblown and replete with new-age psychology buzzwords such as Chi, mental entergy, 'magick' and all that fun stuff.
Loves high fantasy and sword-and-sorcery and such. They take everything SUPER SERIOUS and attempt to claim spiritual connection to real live dragons that only they can see.
Are usually Otherkin and highly delusional. They like vore, hyper, and enjoy macro. Their sexual appetite is bottomless, rivaling foxes.
Often they are goth and/or rather GRIMDARK, and if they wear clothes it's usually BELTAN ZIPPAR* type clothes with more buckles, belts, straps, and zips than a Final Fantasy video game. Inclined towards gayness but more often than not they are hermaphrodites.

Wolves are almost always GRIMDARK and loners who are mystical and super speshul in some way, whether it be because of magic, technology, or whatever. Can do no wrong and are always hailed as being paragons of good - which allows for lots of angst with their badboy ways, which wolves crave. They enjoy the BELTAN ZIPPER fashion as well, with an overt love of blood and wanton violence to up their bad-assery.
Usually can be found with foxes attempting to relieve their ANGST by pushing shit up said vulpine's ass so far that both eventually forget what they were wangsting over(they are usually gay if this did not imply it heavily enough). They are usually demons or gods or angels or such.

Not all furries are like this, I'm well aware...and so I'd like to hear from those who have original characters - maybe species that aren't the norm and are widely known.
These are just a few stereotypes, and I could go on for pages and pages about the stereotypes for just these three in detail, let alone of the others(such as horses being incredibly virile, to the tune of being able to fill a gallon container).
Maybe you're a fox who's big, muscular, and stands up for himself? Or you're a wolf with a pleasant attitude and a carefree, bon-vivant personality. If your fursona doesn't adhere to the burgeoning expectancies of the community, then please share the ways you're above the masses here.

*BELTAN ZIPPAR: Clothes with an excess of belts, straps, zippers, and such.

Like so:

419pxbeltanzippergd2.png

Last edited:

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
No fursona here either - just an overworked and coffee-deprived human.

Project_X

Hmm...I'm not "Otherkin" and I'm a dragon. I'm rarely overdramatic. I hate magic and think it's petty. I'm NEVER super serious. I'm nowhere near Goth. My sexual appetite is shallow(One person will for a long time). I'm definantly NOT a herm. ^^;

I guess I mostly go against the grain. =)

Oh yeah. I definantly and skeptical to vore and I don't like hyper or macro....

Last edited:

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
I smell a drama storm coming. Most furries will claim immunity to a stereotype, due to some tiny difference within their character reference. But I will say that there are many people who have unoriginal, boring characters. This sort of thing is indeed rife in the fandumb. People wish to fit in I suppose, and the more odd the character, the better, at least here. But the problem is, somebody already thought of that, so there ends being just a shade of difference between many characters, so the only thing to distinguish between them is a personality. Which, if I many say, many furries lack. Although the forums has a few decent, interesting people. That said, my species is not widely known, so I can't help ya there, but eventually I might get around to posting in the Persona Forum, where this sort of stuff should go. One of these days...

Last edited:

Vesuro

~Such a Rush~
I think this thread is going to be a drama magnet

Fake Edit - AzurePhoenix your fursona is uber, can I get a link to the original image?

Azure

I think this thread is going to be a drama magnet

Fake Edit - AzurePhoenix your fursona is uber, can I get a link to the original image?
It's on FA sadly. But when it becomes available, I'll post it up. Wait a minute, searching, searching. FOUND. Moonstalker is a GOD, and I drew much of my inspiration for my char from this pic. Here ya go. And no, I didn't draw it, Moonstalker did. I have some crappy doodles though.
http://i36.tinypic.com/1gt7p1.jpg

Last edited:

Giorgio Gabriel

You Will Be Godlike.
I smell a drama storm coming. Most furries will claim immunity to a stereotype, due to some tiny difference within their character reference. But I will say that there are many people who have unoriginal, boring characters. This sort of thing is indeed rife in the fandumb. People wish to fit in I suppose, and the more odd the character, the better, at least here. But the problem is, somebody already thought of that, so there ends being just a shade of difference between many characters, so the only thing to distinguish between them is a personality. Which, if I many say, many furries lack. Although the forums has a few decent, interesting people. That said, my species is not widely known, so I can't help ya there, but eventually I might get around to posting in the Persona Forum, where this sort of stuff should go. One of these days...

Well, it's easy to base a furry character on your favorite vidya gaem or anime character or such, and then claim it to be ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL on your FA profile.

Consequently, this leads to a lot of furry character ending up looking mostly the same, since there are many people who've probably ripped off the same concept and/or have very little imagination to break outside of the norm.

Sure, you can be as original as you like and still have a carbon copy somewhere, but if you've really put thought into your character and made him or her three-dimensional rather than throwing some WANGST and GRIMDARK together along with a helping of Belts and Zipper for clothes, then calling it a day. Blatantly unoriginal characters clog the fandom like toilet paper in the u-bend, I will agree with you there - but you don't have to be super speshul to be unique. You just have to have a little originality.

Is any of this coherent? I'm sleepless and trying to keep myself awake with coke and rum, it's not working well.

Kitsuneluke

the one that bites
3 of my characters are but they are not 'over sexed' or gay, in fact the only ones who are lessibans is Thea my kitsune charater and Jasmin my yellow throated marten, even they couldnt be considered Sex crazed

Azure

Well, it's easy to base a furry character on your favorite vidya gaem or anime character or such, and then claim it to be ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL on your FA profile.

Consequently, this leads to a lot of furry character ending up looking mostly the same, since there are many people who've probably ripped off the same concept and/or have very little imagination to break outside of the norm.

Sure, you can be as original as you like and still have a carbon copy somewhere, but if you've really put thought into your character and made him or her three-dimensional rather than throwing some WANGST and GRIMDARK together along with a helping of Belts and Zipper for clothes, then calling it a day. Blatantly unoriginal characters clog the fandom like toilet paper in the u-bend, I will agree with you there - but you don't have to be super speshul to be unique. You just have to have a little originality.

Is any of this coherent? I'm sleepless and trying to keep myself awake with coke and rum, it's not working well.
It's pretty coherent to me. Although I'm not sure what WANGST is, or the belts and zippers. And yeah, you don't have to look different to be different. I for one am a happy little fella, but you're right, lots of furs do embrace the rather macabre. I suppose it just depends on your exposure to them. There are many original things, but sometimes they can get buried under the clones.

Grimfang

It's coherent.. GRIMFANG will bite your cock off once you fall asleep though for calling him out on this. This is gonna be some nightmare on elm street shit.

Giorgio Gabriel

You Will Be Godlike.
All the more reason to get my drinky drink on, then.

For whoever was wondering, WANGST = smoldering with generic rage, crawling in your skin, wounds that cannot heal, black parade, etc. Beltan Zipper...well, this picture explains it best.

419pxbeltanzippergd2.png

beltan

Last edited:

Giorgio Gabriel

You Will Be Godlike.
Reptiles that aren't dragons(lizard, raptors, and such)aren't as widespread but many of the tropes that apply to wolves apply to reptiles - heavy goth/industrialist look with chains, belts, zippers and such, an inclination towards drama and a feeling of "us vs. them" since they are a minority amongst the furs. They do their best to stand out even if it goes to the point of whoring one's self out like a five dollar prostitute to every single artist solely to build up their name, or attaching themselves to popular Dragons in high places. All in all, reptiles are a rather boring set and don't stand out much, so I didn't bother nitpicking at them.o

It's a shame, really. In their zeal to stand out from the crowd reptiles ended up falling in to the black pit of mediocrity along with 78% of the furry fandom. Many of them are actually nice people, too...

Last edited:

makmakmob

I do believe someone has already done this. Funny thing is the stereotypes are different in this one.
EDIT: I take that back; the fox stereotype is the same.
I definitely have to agree with your belts and zippers thing, but I'm not sure I would use those words.

Last edited:

Gutierrez

Draconic Laconic
Does originality really matter all that much? I admit the rabid defense of something that's more or less a found object can be annoying, but it kinda gives the fandom a pop art feel. If the kids want to copy Marilyn Monroe over and over, just changing the colors here and there, let them. I think asserting your uniqueness as defensively is just as annoying. Love what you made/found/copied. If you're copied, hope for credit, but dig the flattery.

makmakmob

I think (I could be wrong) the wind up is people claiming that they created something they clearly didn't. If for instance, they said 'I like [idea] so I quickly came up with this guy' I'd be fine, but it's 'I had [idea], is mine, do not steal' and then I see it on some anime vid on youtube.

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
I think I'd fit the otter trope well... silly, playful and whatnot. Generally at least. Now I don't always go by as an otter so I guess the point is moot.

As for reptiles other than dragons - so far I've met only a handful, but from what I've seen of them I'd actually describe them as discreet. As a snake buddy of mine aptly and amusingly put it, "We snakes are like snakes in the grass".

The only other non-dragon reptile species I've seen would be a raptor - namely, Shark. And even though Shark does stand out from posting all the time and being a highly skilled artist, he doesn't seem to be *trying* to stand out at all so I guess my point stands about discreetness.

Although I'm not sure what WANGST is

Wangst is what happened to every Final Fantasy main character since FF7.