• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Almond Milk

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
A small discussion keeps popping up over in the games about Almond Milk and it seemed interesting enough to bring it over here.

What are your opinions on it? Have you ever tried it?

Personally, I love it. I have some trouble digesting a lot of dairy. I grew up with an actual allergy to it and some minor intolerance developed when I started having issues with my gallbladder. I think it tastes much better and lasts much longer than soy, makes baked goods taste better than cow milk, and I will drink a whole carton of chocolate almond milk without noticing. I love it mixed with coconut milk and I just feel better when I have a lot of it compared to regular.

Don’t get me wrong. Cow milk is also yummy. It makes better gravies and rues and anything savory. But mmmm I love me some almond milk.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I don't care for it. For some reason whenever I go looking for vanilla milk I can only ever find it as a flavor of almond milk and it just tastes really bland imo.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Almond milk is too sweet tasting for my preference.

Cow milk ftw. goat milk isn't bad either.

386.gif

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Yuck! OK, nothing personal against almond milk lovers, but my thoughts on it:

OK, for one thing, it's very, very watery and bland, and has almost no nutritional value. It takes an enormous amount of water to grow almonds in the already parched areas of CA where many are grown, and does not seem like a very efficient use of almonds/water.

I think there is as much protein in eating 5 or 6 single almonds as in a glass of almond milk. So, for me, as I am pretty broke, it is a silly thing to buy because it's like spending $4 for a food product that doesn't have much to it. I'd rather just drink tap water, and eat a few almonds.

Now, if you were trying to lose weight, or lactose intolerant, or just like it, well, that's fine! But to me, it doesn't meet the criteria of value for money, nor taste.

I do, however, have a huge fondness for goat's milk...yum, yum, yum.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Yuck! OK, nothing personal against almond milk lovers, but my thoughts on it:

OK, for one thing, it's very, very watery and bland, and has almost no nutritional value. It takes an enormous amount of water to grow almonds in the already parched areas of CA where many are grown, and does not seem like a very efficient use of almonds/water.

I think there is as much protein in eating 5 or 6 single almonds as in a glass of almond milk. So, for me, as I am pretty broke, it is a silly thing to buy because it's like spending $4 for a food product that doesn't have much to it. I'd rather just drink tap water, and eat a few almonds.

Now, if you were trying to lose weight, or lactose intolerant, or just like it, well, that's fine! But to me, it doesn't meet the criteria of value for money, nor taste.

I do, however, have a huge fondness for goat's milk...yum, yum, yum.
Fascinating I have never had goat milk before! I have only had cow milk,and I have tried almond milk before. I did not realized the nut based milk uses so much resources.

I

Infrarednexus

I was never fond of almond milk or soy milk. I've grown up on dairy milk my entire life, and when I tasted almond milk, it just didn't feel right.

Simo

Fascinating I have never had goat milk before! I have only had cow milk,and I have tried almond milk before. I did not realized the nut based milk uses so much resources.

All in all, it uses less water than cow's milk, but still, a pretty hefty amount. So it is more environmentally friendly, though, with only 1.0 to 1.5 g of protein per cup, it's hard to measure, exactly, if one were to look at how much water it takes to produce x amount of protein. (A cup of 2% milk has about 8g/protein)

I'm by no means against it; especially for weight loss, lactose intolerance, or, if you simply like it.

But if you're on a budget, I have found that it wasn't a very cheap/efficient way to involve proteins in my diet.

Last edited:

malibu

I'm not a huge fan of milk substitutes since they do a very poor job of replacing dairy. I'd prefer it if they marketed it as its own thing, like a nut based drink, and not a milk replacement. I feel like it would be a lot more honest and less people would be opposed to it, since the main argument against it from people who drink milk is that it's plain and nothing like dairy.

I have a milk allergy, so I just ignore milk relates stuff instead of hoping to replace it. The world is full of awesome beverages and food, so I have no interest in trying to recreate the magic of dairy.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I can chuck down regular milk by the glassfuls, almond milk - maybe 3 to 4 sips, before I begin to gag. Soy milk is even nastier to me. ☺

Casey Fluffbat

E. Fuscus from the discount section
I can chuck down regular milk by the glassfuls, almond milk - maybe 3 to 4 sips, before I begin to gag. Soy milk is even nastier to me. ☺
I've been trying to avoid soy, but it's in so many damn products, I can't get away from it! It's a plague I tell you!

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I've been trying to avoid soy, but it's in so many damn products, I can't get away from it! It's a plague I tell you!
Right...soy is really gross and goes bad so fast. So slimy.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I've got no problems with soy, itself - as I eat mayonnaise my the spoonfuls, almost daily.. it's just the milk I find gross, (taste wise). ☺

Simo

*gags at the idea of soy milk* :p

Though I don't mind tofu; after all it was Beast Boy's favorite food, on Teen Titans. I wonder if he also drank soy milk...hmmm....

D

Deleted member 82554

I'm all for the almond milk. You can even make an ok rice pudding with the vanilla flavour.

Lexiand

Werewolf

AppleButt

Almond milk is the only milk I’ll drink!

I love it. It’s sweeter, and just.....not gross.

It’s a rather unpopular opinion, but to me regular milk is gross. And regular milk hurts my stomach so.

There is no need to drink titty water past your infancy stage.