• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Am I a furry?

pythagrias

I’ve been struggling with this for a while. Creating an account on this forum seemed to be the only way to find out.

I have severe social anxiety that prevents me from being myself and showing any interests in public and even at home by myself with no one around. I have suppressed a lot of my feelings and interests since childhood to the point where everything seems dull. I remember when I was a kid when I would watch movies/tv with any kind of animal characters that I would start to feel a “weird” emotion. Sometimes such a strong emotion that I couldn’t watch it anymore. I felt sort of a sense of embarrassment mixed with something else. I used to think I was “scared” of them, but I’m not sure anymore. A more recent occurrence, In junior year of highschool I had to watch Zootopia for Spanish class and I couldn’t even look at the screen. I found out about furries at a pretty young age and knew about the hatred of this group of people. I think that’s when I tried to suppress some of those feelings because of social pressure. Whenever someone mentions furries in public I start to get really bad anxiety. I have always wanted to be an animator, if that says anything. Do I have a furry phobia or am I in denial?

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
I’ve been struggling with this for a while. Creating an account on this forum seemed to be the only way to find out.

I have severe social anxiety that prevents me from being myself and showing any interests in public and even at home by myself with no one around. I have suppressed a lot of my feelings and interests since childhood to the point where everything seems dull. I remember when I was a kid when I would watch movies/tv with any kind of animal characters that I would start to feel a “weird” emotion. Sometimes such a strong emotion that I couldn’t watch it anymore. I felt sort of a sense of embarrassment mixed with something else. I used to think I was “scared” of them, but I’m not sure anymore. A more recent occurrence, In junior year of highschool I had to watch Zootopia for Spanish class and I couldn’t even look at the screen. I found out about furries at a pretty young age and knew about the hatred of this group of people. I think that’s when I tried to suppress some of those feelings because of social pressure. Whenever someone mentions furries in public I start to get really bad anxiety. I have always wanted to be an animator, if that says anything. Do I have a furry phobia or am I in denial?
Hard to say friend. Are you repulsed by the anthro animals you see or just uncertain about them?

Otherwise I shall just say take your time here in the forums and see how it is :)

We are very friendly and understanding for the most part.

There is a documentary about the fandom around somewhere that was recently released. It will probably give you a better insight into the whole furry enigma. ;)

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Sounds like you might be overthinking things! The fandom is fairly inclusive, regardless to your level of commitment. For some it's just the appreciation of anthro/animal characters. For others it involves fursuits and going to conventions.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with finding out the opposite. I think it's possible you might be a little embarrassed considering the rep furries usually have, but it usually ends up being one of those things where you have to decide 'am I going to do what makes others happy or am I going to do what makes me happy?' scenarios. Take your time though, and keep exploring until you're satisfied.

Oh. Another thing to consider is, do you have this same reaction with real animals? Only asking because there are some 'feral furries' so... that might help shed some light.

pythagrias

I wouldn’t say I am repulsed by them, I am uncertain about them for sure. I hope I haven’t offended anyone in any way. I will explore a little bit. I am trying to understand my feelings a little more.

Skittles

I wouldn’t say I am repulsed by them, I am uncertain about them for sure. I hope I haven’t offended anyone in any way. I will explore a little bit. I am trying to understand my feelings a little more.
Haven't offended anyone friend ^w^ Just go with the flow~

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
For me, that's just natural. Whether it's right or false. It's just a matter of what you focus on. It can be furry, it can be nationality, or whatever that certain people show hate towards. Nothing is wrong but those people who try to friendzone or something, and it may make you anxious maybe in a fear of being isolated/witchhunted or whatever.

By the way, being a furry doesn't mean you have to fight against the hates and/or do something people think furries must do (like yiff and stuff, it's an option but not a duty, and the rest outcome is yours. Do it if you're cool with that, no if not. Simple.) Being a furry, is that you are showing everyone your care towards this fictional race. And I don't see any point of fighting over furries versus non furs... It's just that, haters gonna hate, furries do what they do, but haters make uninformed people to follow them via sharing fake or exaggerated/overrated rumors.

Nah... There's absolutely no reason for you to be anxious, hate or run from furries. You know, every fandom and organizations have weirdos, furries are one of them too, which is natural. Just don't hang around with weirdos and you'll just do fine with furries, promise.

pythagrias

Sounds like you might be overthinking things! The fandom is fairly inclusive, regardless to your level of commitment. For some it's just the appreciation of anthro/animal characters. For others it involves fursuits and going to conventions.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with finding out the opposite. I think it's possible you might be a little embarrassed considering the rep furries usually have, but it usually ends up being one of those things where you have to decide 'am I going to do what makes others happy or am I going to do what makes me happy?' scenarios. Take your time though, and keep exploring until you're satisfied.

Oh. Another thing to consider is, do you have this same reaction with real animals? Only asking because there are some 'feral furries' so... that might help shed some light.

Thank you! I really appreciate the support!

I do not have the same reaction with real animals. I do love animals though.

Skittles

Thank you! I really appreciate the support!

I do not have the same reaction with real animals. I do love animals though.
Then it might be you are a furry~ But do not fear! This is not a bad thing. :D As I said, just browse around, chat with folks. :3

pythagrias

For me, that's just natural. Whether it's right or false. It's just a matter of what you focus on. It can be furry, it can be nationality, or whatever that certain people show hate towards. Nothing is wrong but those people who try to friendzone or something, and it may make you anxious maybe in a fear of being isolated/witchhunted or whatever.

By the way, being a furry doesn't mean you have to fight against the hates and/or do something people think furries must do (like yiff and stuff, it's an option but not a duty, and the rest outcome is yours. Do it if you're cool with that, no if not. Simple.) Being a furry, is that you are showing everyone your care towards this fictional race. And I don't see any point of fighting over furries versus non furs... It's just that, haters gonna hate, furries do what they do, but haters make uninformed people to follow them via sharing fake or exaggerated/overrated rumors.

Nah... There's absolutely no reason for you to be anxious, hate or run from furries. You know, every fandom and organizations have weirdos, furries are one of them too, which is natural. Just don't hang around with weirdos and you'll just do fine with furries, promise.

Thank you! This makes me a little less anxious. I really appreciate the support and understanding. I will try to figure this out

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
Thank you! This makes me a little less anxious. I really appreciate the support and understanding. I will try to figure this out

There has to be some weirdos in the community too, but fear not! You'll find warm-hearted people easier than other places, as long as my experience serves right.

Good luck whether you find a spot here or depart away. Just keep in mind that furries overall aren't that bad as rumors say(rarely, weirdos are like rumors though), cheers!

FooFoo4230

From my limited experience, everyone here is perfectly willing to help out/share stories/just be goofy.

I had a similar experience at one point, I would get embarrassed when somebody mentioned furries, because there seemed to be so much dislike towards them, and I thought they were pretty OK. (This was back in 2018) It’s most likely nowhere near what you experienced, but I get how you would feel embarrassed. Luckily, in 2020, there seems to be much fewer problems with dislike!

I would say to just look around at your own pace, and interact whenever you feel comfortable. There are going to be weird people (who I luckily haven’t met yet), but there are more fun/kind people here than weird people!

Don’t worry about causing offense. Most people here are polite enough to not yell at you about it. If you mention somewhere in your “signature”, the thing that appears at the bottom of your comments, something about wanting to learn more about the community, and still being a newbie, people are far less likely to get mad at you! :p

Trevorbluesquirrel

I assume you don't get the same anxiety with media of human characters!?

I wonder if SFW anthro art would give you the same reaction!?

It could be that years of denial have finally surfaced, after being ignored for so long!

Sounds like some exploration and knowledge could be beneficial!

Gemi42

Trash Connoisseur
Hello, Pythagrias! I hope that you are doing well and welcome to the forums!

I understand that you feel anxious about furries n' anthro characters, I can really relate with that feeling myself.
As someone who wanted to become an animator as well as an artist, I found that most of my art that I did like was usually anthro related. And I felt really anxious about my art because of the hate that I had seen
others express about the furry fandom. How the word 'Furry' was often said like it was an awful thing to be.
Then after a while, I thought I'd give it a chance and now I'm here.

Expressing and understanding your feelings is a pretty hard and complicated thing sometimes,
Never the less, I do hope you enjoy your time here!

sshado

Artemis the Satanist
Awww, welcome to the community! That's so cool that you're trying to expand your boundaries and get outside of your comfort zone.

If it makes you feel better, there were a LOT of things that I felt repulsed/weird about when I was younger but for me it was because I had internalized the bad reputation / hate people feel toward it. Once I learned to accept and do things just because they make me happy then it became a lot easier for me.

It's okay if you find out you don't like furries. You're still welcome to hang out with us. This community is super sweet and a good place to meet friends. ❤

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Chill out. Only you can answer this question. The furry curse might not be a choice, but it's up to you to embrace it or seek redemption in any other hobby you may like

pythagrias

I assume you don't get the same anxiety with media of human characters!?

I wonder if SFW anthro art would give you the same reaction!?

It could be that years of denial have finally surfaced, after being ignored for so long!

Sounds like some exploration and knowledge could be beneficial!

I'm gonna do a deep dive haha. Let's go

pythagrias

Hello, Pythagrias! I hope that you are doing well and welcome to the forums!

I understand that you feel anxious about furries n' anthro characters, I can really relate with that feeling myself.
As someone who wanted to become an animator as well as an artist, I found that most of my art that I did like was usually anthro related. And I felt really anxious about my art because of the hate that I had seen
others express about the furry fandom. How the word 'Furry' was often said like it was an awful thing to be.
Then after a while, I thought I'd give it a chance and now I'm here.

Expressing and understanding your feelings is a pretty hard and complicated thing sometimes,
Never the less, I do hope you enjoy your time here!

After doing some deep thinking/remembering , yes, that is a problem for me too. I dabble in animation sometimes and always would add very minor animal characteristics to human characters like eyes, teeth, mouth etc. but would quickly erase it in embarrassment. This is almost exactly how I feel. I am beginning to realize that I pretty much am a furry, just was so anxious about it that I was blinded.

Also, do you think you could link me to some of your animation work?

pythagrias

Awww, welcome to the community! That's so cool that you're trying to expand your boundaries and get outside of your comfort zone.

If it makes you feel better, there were a LOT of things that I felt repulsed/weird about when I was younger but for me it was because I had internalized the bad reputation / hate people feel toward it. Once I learned to accept and do things just because they make me happy then it became a lot easier for me.

It's okay if you find out you don't like furries. You're still welcome to hang out with us. This community is super sweet and a good place to meet friends. ❤

Yes, that's the key. Doing things that make you happy, and I am not doing any of that in any interests because of my severe social anxiety. This is a big step for me because I have been incredibly depressed for a while and had to reevaluate who I really was and what I really like. This community has been super nice and supportive. I love talking with all of you!

pythagrias

From my limited experience, everyone here is perfectly willing to help out/share stories/just be goofy.

I had a similar experience at one point, I would get embarrassed when somebody mentioned furries, because there seemed to be so much dislike towards them, and I thought they were pretty OK. (This was back in 2018) It’s most likely nowhere near what you experienced, but I get how you would feel embarrassed. Luckily, in 2020, there seems to be much fewer problems with dislike!

I would say to just look around at your own pace, and interact whenever you feel comfortable. There are going to be weird people (who I luckily haven’t met yet), but there are more fun/kind people here than weird people!

Don’t worry about causing offense. Most people here are polite enough to not yell at you about it. If you mention somewhere in your “signature”, the thing that appears at the bottom of your comments, something about wanting to learn more about the community, and still being a newbie, people are far less likely to get mad at you! :p

Thanks! I heard about furries when I was like 9 years old, so like 2009. I think this was the exact time that I started to feel anxious instead of the other strong emotion I got when I was younger (if that makes any sense). I have been struggling with this for a while and bottled all of it up. I think this is why I have had such bad reactions.

Every interaction has been positive so far! I will add some sort of newbie and informational tag

Gemi42

Trash Connoisseur
After doing some deep thinking/remembering , yes, that is a problem for me too. I dabble in animation sometimes and always would add very minor animal characteristics to human characters like eyes, teeth, mouth etc. but would quickly erase it in embarrassment. This is almost exactly how I feel. I am beginning to realize that I pretty much am a furry, just was so anxious about it that I was blinded.

Also, do you think you could link me to some of your animation work?
I'm happy that the feelin' resonates with you. It was kind of a shock to me as well when I figured it out too! When I first connected the dots and realized that I was a furry, I just kinda sat there and thought to myself 'omg that makes so much more sense now!' So, I was kinda dumbfounded for a moment honestly!

As for when it comes to my animation work, I'm still in the middle of my course right now so I don't really have anything up and ready just yet. But, I will happily stay in touch and show off some stuff when I finally do!
I'm taking a 3D Animation course, right now. But I do plan on developing my 2D Animation skills for some fun!