• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

AMD or Nvidia

Sodapopfox69

so just out of curiousity since I never hear people talking about this, but do you run AMD or Nvidia graphics in your personal rig , and why?

AceQuorthon

International Man Of Mystery
AMD, both GPU and CPU. I just love my wallet too much to pay for overpriced tat.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I run a nvidia GTX 1070, when the prices are moderate again I want to upgrade. But it might take a while... I bought it when it was pretty fresh, and it was perfectly in my budget at that time had to save up for 3 to 4 months to finally afford it. The reason why I bought it: It was a good card for a good price. It still holds pretty well but the days of high settings are over. And you????

As far as GPU goes I stick to Nvidia, and the only reason I do is because their NVENC encoder is so much better and has better support than HEVC. It helps a lot with running streams, and in particular streamlabs does still not have support for HEVC.

Though I am not a big fan of Nvidia otherwise, I would've rather had an AMD GPU if it wasn't for what I mentioned. Both companies just wants my money in the end, but I can't help to see Nvidia as a little bit more scummy than AMD.

Pomorek

Hyena-Addicted Antelope
Nvidia, simply because it has a consistent edge over AMD for my 3D graphics purposes. Their CUDA technology works wonders for rendering stuff quickly. AMD was bit late with proper providing for this kind of things. It is catching up pretty well with their OpenCL - but lately Nvidia released a brand new technology called OptiX, and this sets them ahead of AMD again quite significantly.

Unfortunately, with the current GPU price insanity, this new thing is not available for me. So I need to hope that my old trusted GTX 1060 can hold on for a year or two more... At least I took a model with biggest three-slots cooling system I could find, guess that can help with longevity in the face of lengthy 100% loads. It doesn't overheat for sure.

Kyrick

AMD, both GPU and CPU. I just love my wallet too much to pay for overpriced tat.
This.

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading from an FX-8350 to a Ryzen 5 3600 architecture. Mobo, CPU and RAM cost around £300-350 total.
I've only ever had problems with NVidia

Currently (for the last 7 years) I use a Radeon RX 560. Still gets the job done, but it is starting to show its age :(
I'll have to browse on eBay for a GPU if I upgrade. This shortage is ridiculous.

Pygmepatl

~Cactus Fruit Loving Skunk~
If I had to build a rig or get a new laptop in the future, I would go all AMD, because it behaves much better with Linux than Nvidia and also because they release their own open source drivers.

i was planning on getting a rtx 2070 ti even though its less performance but at least i thought i was going to at least get a new graphics card but sadly as usual those scalpers bought them all....probably for same with amds coming this month xD

Pomorek

Hyena-Addicted Antelope
If I had to build a rig or get a new laptop in the future, I would go all AMD, because it behaves much better with Linux than Nvidia and also because they release their own open source drivers.
I don't know, on my PC the KDE Neon just works with Nvidia GPU, no question asked. But this week I was installing Linux on a laptop with Ryzen 4500U with integrated Radeon. Neon didn't want to get out of the safe mode, Mint crapped out at boot, Kubuntu was complaining before eventually managed to get it working. Doesn't seem like a better behavior than Nvidia.

But, with all that said, the AMD CPUs seem to be great, looks like they really managed to beat Intel. If I had to build a new PC these days, I would (again, with my specific 3D needs) focus it around a Threadripper. With some basic el cheapo GPU, just to drive the viewports.

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat
I had bad experiences with AMD's Drivers with some games. So I brought Nvidias gpus and never looked back.

I am thinking about switching from intel to amd's ryzen cpus since its really good for gaming.