• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

AMD vs Nvidia

katalistik

Chocolate scientist
I am willing to buy a new graphic card but I am not sure which is better.Nvidia GeForce Gtx 1050 or AMD Radeon RX 460?Maybe you guys have a better experience in technology and gaming than mine.My old graphic card can't withstand most of the games. Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 82554

A few years ago I would've said Nvidia by a landslide, but where AMD is at now it's hard to come to a decision. The four things Nvidia has on their side is better VR support, Stereoscopic 3D, OpenGL and much longer driver support. This is good because you'll end up with a better bang for buck GPU long term.

AMD, on the other hand are more cost effective (but not long term because of shorter driver support), their driver optimization is now on par with Nvidia (if not better), and their Vulkan API is breaking new ground and may very well become the new standard in the future. This is good because it means that Linux users can finally get better driver support whereas Nvidia were thrashing AMD with Linux drivers by about 50% in terms of performance only a few years ago.

I would say, if you're going to get a GTX 1050, fork out fot the Ti version. Much more performance and better overclocking.

And FYI, learn to use the multiquote function unless you want to run into post restrictions...

katalistik

Chocolate scientist
A few years ago I would've said Nvidia by a landslide, but where AMD is at now it's hard to come to a decision. The four things Nvidia has on their side is better VR support, Stereoscopic 3D, OpenGL and much longer driver support. This is good because you'll end up with a better bang for buck GPU long term.

AMD, on the other hand are more cost effective (but not long term because of shorter driver support), their driver optimization is now on par with Nvidia (if not better), and their Vulkan API is breaking new ground and may very well become the new standard in the future. This is good because it means that Linux users can finally get better driver support whereas Nvidia were thrashing AMD with Linux drivers by about 50% in terms of performance only a few years ago.

I would say, if you're going to get a GTX 1050, fork out fot the Ti version. Much more performance and better overclocking.

And FYI, learn to use the multiquote function unless you want to run into post restrictions...

First,I want to thank you sir.I must say that Nividia will always be one of the greatest inc. that will always satisfy their customers.
Second,what's a "multiquote function"?Sorry if I ask dumb questions but I'm kinda new.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
AMD. Everything I have is from AMD and it's all working like a charm.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I would have gone AMD too if Blender had better performance on rendering with that instead of Nvidia.
AMD in terms of performance is a bit lower than Nvidia. If you run heavy shit you can notice a difference. Like for instance, a lot of mobo's aren't programmed to fully utilize the AMD FX-8350's 8 cores for instance, practically making 4 of them useless.

If shit were made to not reduce AMD performance they'd have a bigger market share. There were lawsuits on this shit because shit were designed to reduce AMD performance, atleast on an OS-level. Not sure if it were on a hardware-level as well.

jacobk

you cant really compare the two performance wise as most amd gpus are not up to par with nvidia. amd gpus are generally considered budget cards and therefore are not really comparable to nvidia.

you as a consumer need to focus on;
what os are you going to use
what performace do you need
how much are you willing to pay for that performance or close to it

if you are using linux most amd cards are out of the question condering the fact that xorg no longer supports flgrx and it has been labeled old, only the 4xx cards play nice with the newer driver

alot of amd gpus are capable of running alot of games at reasonable framerate

nvidia has better performance and quality and this isnt a bias, its fact-price reflects.

i would personally recommend the nvidia card if your budget allows it