• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Flatline

Professional Lurker
Seriously, no thread for this masterpiece yet? I am disappoint.

Anyone played it? I constantly want to make love to Frictional Games since I played Penumbra Overture and dear God, this game is so fucking awesome.

Scariest game ever, suck it up Dead Space.

BTW, it's 50% off on Steam right now if anyone wants to buy it. (You know you want to.)

Last edited:

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
And all their games so far have been windows and os x
brb checking it out

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
I bought it not too long after it released. I've been picking it up and playing an hour or so at a time and god damn is it atmospheric. However, it went from atmospheric and creepy to fucking horrifying once I got to a certain part that I will not post due to the half assed spoiler tags this forum seems to have :V

Schwimmwagen

Best game out there if you wanna scare yourself. Everyone who is reading this, get it. Also, get Penumbra Overture and Black Plague. It's by the same people, and these people are the masters of horror.

garoose

I preordered the game and had it the moment it came out, but I still haven't beat it.... I'm too terrified to play it half the time xD. Even though it is a relatively short game I think I just finally got to the half way point.

I highly recommend the game though, very well done with an interesting and immersive story, and a shit-your-pants atmosphere.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
I tried it, it's boring as Hell. Nothing ever happens except random epilepsy, paranoia and schizophrenic attacks. The dude's a psycho. /game

Scariest game ever? My fucking ass, I've yet to find a game that actually makes me shiver.

Furlop

This was a great game. I'd throw it up there with Silent Hill 1, Fatal Frame 1+2, Dark Fall 1 and Scratches. It's one of those atmospheric scary games (which, IMO are the best kind). Therefor you can't put this up next to a game like Dead Space. Dead Space only relied on jump surprises and halfway through the game, I was hoping for more monsters to pop out because it was fun just to line them in half. It stopped becoming scary.
Amnesia, on the other hand, might be one of the scariest games I've played simply because you can't actually kill things and there's always a sense of danger and unknown about. If you let yourself get sucked into the game, you will be creeping around in the dark at a snails pace with your lantern out, peeking around corners and fearing every little noise you hear in the shadows.

Superscooter143

QualityGamer
I felt sad inside when I have the Steam maxiumum of 150 friends and found out that only one tried the demo.

Their games are known somewhat, the problem is with people either just pirating it or NOT getting it at all. Ever since the new stupid generation of CoD people, it seems as if people won't buy a good campaign mode only game, or a relatively scary one, for this matter.

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
Yeah Amnesia is scary as fuck, in that sort of understated lovecraftian way where you will go for stretches of time without seeing a monster, only to have the fear and tension and anxiety mount in your chest until it's a fucking relief to actually stumble upon one of the godless abominations featured in this unholy game.

So yeah, support these bastards.

Kesteh

Twenty
Bought the indie bundle. Fell in love with Penumbra Overture, preordered Amnesia.
Indie bundle recently gave me a key to put into steam.
My whole collection is immortalized.

Flatline

Professional Lurker
How..how dare you!
*passes out*

I had to say it because I'm tired of people telling me the same "Dead Space is the scariest game ever" shit whenever I told them about Amnesia. No, it's not. It's a TPS, and YOU HAVE WEAPONS. A horror game where you have weapons is a lot less scary. That's why Penumbra Black Plague is scarier than Overture. I love the Silent Hill games for example, but they never really scared me. They are more disturbing/creepy than scary.

I tried it, it's boring as Hell. Nothing ever happens except random epilepsy, paranoia and schizophrenic attacks. The dude's a psycho. /game

Scariest game ever? My fucking ass, I've yet to find a game that actually makes me shiver.

I guess you didn't play the game for too long then.
If you did then congratulations, you are the first person I've seen who wasn't scared by this game.

Schwimmwagen

The game plays out like this:

> Walk around dark corridoors for ages

> An odd prescence in the room, hide in a closet whilst bricking it

> Get into a nice, calming well-lit atrium

> See a torso on the floor.

> ._.

Flatline

Professional Lurker
Heh, I remembar that... It wasn't the worst part at all, but it was a great WTF moment for sure.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
I guess you didn't play the game for too long then.
If you did then congratulations, you are the first person I've seen who wasn't scared by this game.

I've actually completed it; kept playing thinking something'd happen.

Nope, just walking in the dark, hearing annoying noises & stuff, bumping into freaks that couldn't hurt you in real life because geez, they don't even have jaws anymore. Once in a while, bright white flashes that kills your eyes when your character has a flashback. At the beginning, the pepto bismol on the floor & the strawberry jam on the walls made me laugh. Later in the game, when you find all these butchered corpses, why does everybody say it's gross & scary as fuck? Watch a horror movie, go outside or something. I bet death scares these people, pathetic.

RedFoxTwo

Sarcastic Lurker

Nope, just walking in the dark, hearing annoying noises & stuff, bumping into freaks that couldn't hurt you in real life because geez, they don't even have jaws anymore. Once in a while, bright white flashes that kills your eyes when your character has a flashback. At the beginning, the pepto bismol on the floor & the strawberry jam on the walls made me laugh. Later in the game, when you find all these butchered corpses, why does everybody say it's gross & scary as fuck? Watch a horror movie, go outside or something. I bet death scares these people, pathetic.

Your pathetic attempt at self importance is not conducive to the appreciation of this game. This thread exists so people can voice their compliments and appreciation for a great indie title. If you feel so strongly on the matter - I'm sure Frictional Games would be only to happy to accept some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to improve the atmosphere of their software.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
It's pretty much my Game of the Year. Very few games can get me fully immersed in the experience like games by Frictional. I'm also very happy to hear that they're developing their next game already, and the new game engine to allow some fully lit outdoor scenes. Wonder where they'll go with that....

Mentova

You clearly did not play it with the right mindset. The entire point of the game wasn't to "win", it's to immerse yourself in the world and story. The game even blatantly tells you that when you start. If you go in going GEE WHEN DOES THIS SHIT PICK UP AND GO "BOO!" DAMNIT! Then you'd hate it. If you go into it and immerse yourself in what's going on, then you'll probably enjoy it.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
You clearly did not play it with the right mindset. The entire point of the game wasn't to "win", it's to immerse yourself in the world and story. The game even blatantly tells you that when you start. If you go in going GEE WHEN DOES THIS SHIT PICK UP AND GO "BOO!" DAMNIT! Then you'd hate it. If you go into it and immerse yourself in what's going on, then you'll probably enjoy it.

Yeah, there's a certain mindset to play these games. I think the few who hated it went in thinking it'll be an enhanced DOOM3 or something.

Mentova

Yeah, there's a certain mindset to play these games. I think the few who hated it went in thinking it'll be an enhanced DOOM3 or something.
It wouldn't surprise me. It seems like most of the people who complain about it being terrible went in thinking of it like Doom 3 or Resident Evil 4 or something. They game is supposed to be played more like an interactive movie and less like, well, a game.

Flatline

Professional Lurker
freaks that couldn't hurt you in real life because geez, they don't even have jaws anymore

Probably that's why they don't BITE you. Also, none of the video game monsters could hurt anyone IRL because they don't exist.

At the beginning, the pepto bismol on the floor & the strawberry jam on the walls made me laugh.

Poor you, that is really the most annoying and game breaking thing ever.

Watch a horror movie

Horror movies are boring.

I bet death scares these people, pathetic.

That was the stupidest line I've seen in a long time.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART

Go back to Doom 3, kid

Skittle

Banned
Banned
I LOOOOOVE horror games based on setting (like Fatal Frame).
I just played the demo for a little bit and eeee!