• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
You must be kidding.

no man he's serious
Thanks to the great boon of internet shock photos, action/horror movies, FPSs, "deep" thinking, and a whole lot of unwarranted self-importance, Ibuuyk is on a higher mental plane regarding death than us mere peons.

I downloaded the demo, and was informed specifically that it's unlike any other game I've ever played before. And this holds true - Problem is, it's not terribly ... anything. The having-to-forcefully-do-everything is very off-putting, and sucks me out of the game immediately as I have to swing my mouse across my entire tiny mousepad to open a freaking wardrobe door. I might need to play it with more than one person to get any thrill out of it, but I just kinda felt like I was stumbling around a very, very long basement/cellar with the same items placed randomly around - Giving me absolutely no sense of where I was, where I have been, or where I was going. With some doors being propped open already, some slammed closed, and such, I ended up walking in what I guess was a circle for 5 minutes before I tried to stop imitating Nascar, and make a damn right turn...Into another black room, when my lantern went out, and my psychosis meds wore off.

I'm actually a pretty big horror fan, not the gorey kind, but what the type this game (and my friends) promised. I was pretty sad at how it turned out, and I might download the demo again, but if I somehow find enjoyment or any sort of thrill that would justify purchasing it, I would have to wait until it's 50% off again, because I firmly believe in not buying games anymore.

Last edited:

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
Well I love me some horror games. time to see if I can't beg the girlfriend to get it on her computer! sounds promising!

Superscooter143

QualityGamer
I downloaded the demo, and was informed specifically that it's unlike any other game I've ever played before. And this holds true - Problem is, it's not terribly ... anything. The having-to-forcefully-do-everything is very off-putting, and sucks me out of the game immediately as I have to swing my mouse across my entire tiny mousepad to open a freaking wardrobe door. I ended up walking in what I guess was a circle for 5 minutes before I tried to stop imitating Nascar, and make a damn right turn...

One. Raise your mouse sensitivity, wow.

And two: if you were walking around in circles for five minutes in the demo, what game where you playing? Really?

Kesteh

Twenty
The mechanic of "grabbing" and "pulling" stuff is part of the immersion. If you have to move your mouse too much (which is about an inch), then increase your damn sensitivity. Just a nice nudge of my mouse does the job--no overkill swings or anything.
If it were like any other FPS where you literally interact with what is on your crosshair with a simple button tap then it would just be a generic horror game with a concept you are familiar with.
Take the Source engine. Look at that valve and hold E. Press E while near that button or lever.
Now take the HPL engine. Look at that valve, grab it, and turn it. See that lever? Go pull it. That button is jammed, go put a part back in or pull that piece of wood out of the machinery.

Amnesia is scary in the sense that you have no security (weapons). You also need light and darkness while also not needing them. They are both helpful and hurtful. You can't fight monsters, but you can temporarily stun them (not smart). You can't look at them either as you'll give yourself away and be attacked.

Last edited:

Flatline

Professional Lurker
I downloaded the demo, and was informed specifically that it's unlike any other game I've ever played before. And this holds true - Problem is, it's not terribly ... anything. The having-to-forcefully-do-everything is very off-putting, and sucks me out of the game immediately as I have to swing my mouse across my entire tiny mousepad to open a freaking wardrobe door. I might need to play it with more than one person to get any thrill out of it, but I just kinda felt like I was stumbling around a very, very long basement/cellar with the same items placed randomly around - Giving me absolutely no sense of where I was, where I have been, or where I was going. With some doors being propped open already, some slammed closed, and such, I ended up walking in what I guess was a circle for 5 minutes before I tried to stop imitating Nascar, and make a damn right turn...Into another black room, when my lantern went out, and my psychosis meds wore off.

I'm actually a pretty big horror fan, not the gorey kind, but what the type this game (and my friends) promised. I was pretty sad at how it turned out, and I might download the demo again, but if I somehow find enjoyment or any sort of thrill that would justify purchasing it, I would have to wait until it's 50% off again, because I firmly believe in not buying games anymore.

There are very few places like that in the full game, I only got lost about twice.
And you should really raise the mouse sensitivity if opening doors is a problem, it really shouldn't be.

Jude

U1 S7 P106
I watched my friend beat it. Maybe its just me, but I have a hard time legitimately getting scared by anything that's not real.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
I watched my friend beat it. Maybe its just me, but I have a hard time legitimately getting scared by anything that's not real.

Inb4 you get trolled because this game's supposed to scare the living shit outta you. Wimps like to gang against non-wimps.

Aden

Inb4 you get trolled because this game's supposed to scare the living shit outta you. Wimps like to gang against non-wimps.

I didn't know the inability to immerse yourself into a videogame meant that you're not a wimp
noted

\60% chance we're all getting trolled hard

Superscooter143

QualityGamer
I got it today directly from Frictional Game's site and played it for about two hours.

It's scaring the living hell out of me and I played at one in the afternoon with lights on.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
Amnesia is another good example of games being an art. It's purpose is to elicit emotional reaction.

People saying they didn't care for it probably went in with an expectation of it being just another video game to beat. It's more akin to an experience than a video game. Those claiming it wasn't scary or bored, I'm almost honestly sorry for you. Unable to simply enjoy a well crafted experience.

Xenke

Amnesia is another good example of games being an art. It's purpose is to elicit emotional reaction.

People saying they didn't care for it probably went in with an expectation of it being just another video game to beat. It's more akin to an experience than a video game. Those claiming it wasn't scary or bored, I'm almost honestly sorry for you. Unable to simply enjoy a well crafted experience.

Art isn't something you interact with, it's something to be viewed.

If they were trying to make art, they would have made a movie, but they decided to call it a game, and in my book they failed at it.

It has a good horror concept, I'll give them that, but the mechanics are terrible.

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
I just finished it. Holy hell what a ride. It was pretty damn creepy for the most part but the monsters stopped being very scary once you found out how they work; unless they found you of course. That didn't stop the atmosphere and various scripted moments from being creepy. However, I was disappointed with all the endings save for one. Overall, it was an amazing and immersive experience and I'm glad my friend convinced me to buy it. :V

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
Art isn't something you interact with, it's something to be viewed.

If they were trying to make art, they would have made a movie, but they decided to call it a game, and in my book they failed at it.

It has a good horror concept, I'll give them that, but the mechanics are terrible.

Video games are art. It's still just an emerging genre and only beginning to mature after 20+ years of being around.

It is a product of imagination crafted for others. Who cares if the medium is interactive, in fact that should be a plus as it adds a whole extra plane to work in. Much of the same disciplines in film are also in game development. Artists, writers, directors, composers, etc.

Games as art has much opposition currently, but only because it's still juvenile and yet to blossom.

Xenke

Video games are art. It's still just an emerging genre and only beginning to mature after 20+ years of being around.

It is a product of imagination crafted for others. Who cares if the medium is interactive, in fact that should be a plus as it adds a whole extra plane to work in. Much of the same disciplines in film are also in game development. Artists, writers, directors, composers, etc.

Games as art has much opposition currently, but only because it's still juvenile and yet to blossom.

First and foremost, Games are an industry, and that fact alone separates is what separates them from art in my opinion.

Ignoring that fact, though, games don't fall into an art as I see it. They contain art, such as cinematics, script, and music, but the concept of a game itself is not an art. The concept of gaming is about entertainment, giving the player the reigns and saying "go nuts", not "look at how aesthetically pleasing this is".

Aden

First and foremost, Games are an industry, and that fact alone separates is what separates them from art in my opinion.

Ignoring that fact, though, games don't fall into an art as I see it. They contain art, such as cinematics, script, and music, but the concept of a game itself is not an art. The concept of gaming is about entertainment, giving the player the reigns and saying "go nuts", not "look at how aesthetically pleasing this is".

Films are about entertainment. Would you argue that filmmaking is not art?

Iudicium_86

Just another artist

An industry. Can't that same be said for movies and music these days? And as for being just entertainment, the same can also be said for many other mediums.

And for the matter, there is no authority on what is art and isn't. Far as I'm concerned, these are art. There's just a difference between bad art and good art. Good art in the gaming medium is rare, but as I said, it's only because it's barely reaching a point it can recognize maturity. Some examples I consider the best art in gaming are titles like Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Amnesia, and a few others. Bad art (gaming) would be the majority of mainstream titles like HALO and Fighting games.

You may want to look into the artistic side of gaming a bit more. Currently there are titles and projects that purposely take a more high-art approach to interactivity. Look up 'Linger in Shadows' or 'The Graveyard'.

Xenke

Films are about entertainment. Would you argue that filmmaking is not art?

I think they're slowing drifting away from art, yes.

An industry. Can't that same be said for movies and music these days?

Yes, it can. And they're drifting away from being an art.

And for the matter, there is no authority on what is art and isn't. Far as I'm concerned, these are art.

You're right, it's subjective.

There's just a difference between bad art and good art.

This is once again subjective. So, no.

Good art in the gaming medium is rare, but as I said, it's only because it's barely reaching a point it can recognize maturity. Some examples I consider the best art in gaming are titles like Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Amnesia, and a few others. Bad art (gaming) would be the majority of mainstream titles like HALO and Fighting games.

Mainstream bad, Hulk smash. By your logic, Bayonetta is a piece of art (except for story), and it's pretty mainstream (and it has a hard divide between love and hate). Legend of Zelda (series) would also be a piece of art, but it's mainstream so fuck that.

You may want to look into the artistic side of gaming a bit more. Currently there are titles and projects that purposely take a more high-art approach to interactivity. Look up 'Linger in Shadows' or 'The Graveyard'.

I get a game for the game side of things. Makes more sense. Granted, no game can survive on game mechanics alone, but artistic flare does not a game make.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
If movies are moving away from art, then I say games are moving towards art.

And I didn't say all mainstream games, just a majority. There's some more high-end titles that I would consider to be artistic as well as entertaining. Bioshock, Xenosaga, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.

And on top of that, not only are games being an art themselves, they are sometimes the tools for others to create their own art. I haven't played Minecraft myself but I understand you can build what you want in there. Same with Little Big Planet in which I craft and publish levels myself. I even receive actual feedback from other creators as well.

But as you've said, it really is all subjective. That's the beauty of art.
For me to consider something art, it just has to be 'Crafted Imagination'

What are your requirements? Do you actually set well defined lines on creativity and craft?

Xenke

What are your requirements? Do you actually set well defined lines on creativity and craft?

Something created for the sake of beauty.

I'm not denying that games are a mix between art and mechanics, I'm just saying that to say a game is art doesn't sit well with me. Games vary greatly in the spectrum of 'form' vs. 'function', and I'm saying this one falls mostly on the 'form' side of the scale.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
Something created for the sake of beauty.

I'm not denying that games are a mix between art and mechanics, I'm just saying that to say a game is art doesn't sit well with me. Games vary greatly in the spectrum of 'form' vs. 'function', and I'm saying this one falls mostly on the 'form' side of the scale.

I would also like to say I'm not saying games are a full and self recognizing form of art either at this time, with masterpieces and game developers being household names. As I expressed before, I think they are an art but well aware it's a very young and immature form right now. It has a lot of development and progress to go through before it will gain more notoriety as another medium of art and expression.

Games are just barely starting to recognize a decent level of maturity in it's addressing of various life issues that the other mediums have long since tackled such as gender, sexuality, morality, society, etc. Who knows where on the scale of art/entertainment games will be in another 20years.

Maybe only 5 years ago I wouldn't have said games are art. But as an artist myself, I also matured and recognized gaming's potential for expression and craft.

Flatline

Professional Lurker

Doesn't really matter if someone gets scared by the game or not, everyone has different tastes.
But your posts were retarded and unnecessarily rude, so don't be surprised by the negative reaction.
Also, by your logic, people who get scared by horror movies are wimps too because they bore me to death.

I just finished it. Holy hell what a ride. It was pretty damn creepy for the most part but the monsters stopped being very scary once you found out how they work; unless they found you of course. That didn't stop the atmosphere and various scripted moments from being creepy. However, I was disappointed with all the endings save for one. Overall, it was an amazing and immersive experience and I'm glad my friend convinced me to buy it. :V

Yeah, the monsters were more annoying than scary near the end of the game. Especially in Choir. God I hate that part.
I only got the "bad" ending, and it was pretty lame. I didn't really have time to get the others yet.

Barak

Local Hero
Let's Played the game, got the 3 endings. It was rather good, especially when you give attention to details, starting to make connection in your head.

At first i was like " Yo Daniel... we will get out of this together" after a while " Daniel you ass, Get out off this mess alone >:c"

I prefer Amnesia to Penumbra really... i didn't liked the naked aliens running around D:

BTW, if some people are interested : http://www.youtube.com/user/BarakLeSeul#grid/user/F5CA7BD47573F873

Skittle

Banned
Banned
JUMPING IN HERE LATE!

Definitions of art:
the products of human creativity
the creation of beautiful or significant things
a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
artwork: photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication
Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions.

Video games, movies, etc. by definitions are ART!