• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

An Idea For A "Fur"Suit | Feed back Appreciated

NovaKCT

Starpaws | Laggy YouTube Gaming Extraordinaire
Hiya, i'm Nova and here is my idea for my fursuit.

It would be molded carbon fiber plates, with water injection cooling system supplemented by high speed fans in the wing joints. It would loosely resemble the first picture of my fursona, which I sadly can't add as a profile picture because it's not small enough.

LCD panels in the muzzle and cheek would allow me to show my emotions through the zodiac symbols on my muzzle and cheek. My kimono would be a dark black, with a lighter grey seam.

I also have Dual Scimitars, one being a sword of darkness, and the other a sword of light. Both would be sheathed in back scabbards, which stick out at angles, over my shoulders. Those probably won't be allowed into conventions, since they would be real, with a true edge.

It would also cost a lot. I'm probably thinking too high, but i'm expecting to have to write a paycheck of over $30,000.

I would love feedback, ways to improve, and if someone could make concept art, thank you!

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
Sounds like quite a project! Without some pictures to see what you're going for its hard to envision but have you considered ABS plastic instead of carbon fiber? You can buy ABS sheets online and use a heat gun to soften them, bending and shaping as necessary. Superglue works very well to attach parts together, the stuff from loctight seems to be the best for ABS. Cheap, easy, and possibly lighter to wear as well. I've used this method a few times to make 'armor' plates etc.

The LCD idea is interesting, been playing with a similar concept myself (eyes as LCD panels to blink, glare, etc). Probably a arduino could make it work. Fans and such would require a lot of power though, batteries and water are heavy!

IMO have a go at building it yourself before handing over the big bucks, nothing to loose and I'm sure there's people here who can help if you get stuck :)

NovaKCT

Sounds like quite a project! Without some pictures to see what you're going for its hard to envision but have you considered ABS plastic instead of carbon fiber? You can buy ABS sheets online and use a heat gun to soften them, bending and shaping as necessary. Superglue works very well to attach parts together, the stuff from loctight seems to be the best for ABS. Cheap, easy, and possibly lighter to wear as well. I've used this method a few times to make 'armor' plates etc.

The LCD idea is interesting, been playing with a similar concept myself (eyes as LCD panels to blink, glare, etc). Probably a arduino could make it work. Fans and such would require a lot of power though, batteries and water are heavy!

IMO have a go at building it yourself before handing over the big bucks, nothing to loose and I'm sure there's people here who can help if you get stuck :)

Yeah, I forgot to put the image of my fursona down. And i'll look up ABS. What i'm getting out with this, is that I would need an internal wire frame to hold the ABS plates together? Here is my fursona, which is the reference for what it would look like. www.deviantart.com: Anthrodragon - Nova - By NovaKamikazi

That bit of art was made by a request, so the detail and beauty of it was amazing in the first place, but what brings it over the top, was that it was the artists FIRST time drawing in the furry style.

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
Nice concept, would be the first time I've seen astrology on a fursuit lol

A internal frame is possible, but you might be able to get away with just a few thicker plates that support the rest or maybe use a vest as a base and attach plates to it... look at how medieval armor is built, plates with pins to allow for movement etc and a harness underneath to hold it onto the wearer. Can make a larger plate look like scales by attaching them to the outside. For smaller scales that have to flex, arms and such, I imagine you could reference scale armor IE little plates threaded to a sleeve on one or two ends. So many options!

IMO you'll want to make a rough sketch of how/where you want the plates and scales, then work out how to support them. Find a human body reference image and just draw over it to get the size/proportions roughly right. As with any suit everything depends on the design; no point working out how to do something before you know what you want to do ;)

NovaKCT

A internal frame is possible, but you might be able to get away with just a few thicker plates that support the rest or maybe use a vest as a base and attach plates to it... look at how medieval armor is built, plates with pins to allow for movement etc and a harness underneath to hold it onto the wearer. Can make a larger plate look like scales by attaching them to the outside. For smaller scales that have to flex, arms and such, I imagine you could reference scale armor IE little plates threaded to a sleeve on one or two ends. So many options!

IMO you'll want to make a rough sketch of how/where you want the plates and scales, then work out how to support them. Find a human body reference image and just draw over it to get the size/proportions roughly right. As with any suit everything depends on the design; no point working out how to do something before you know what you want to do ;)

o.o So much detail required. Although, I might be able to make the check a little bit smaller. I plan on starting a company specializing in miniature cooling systems. Probably hundreds of those, but I want the specialization, of the specialization, to be creating miniature cooling systems for fursuits. You don't want to pass out of heatstroke just putting it on. I'll make a concept website, which i'm much better at doing then drawing, or making concept art, and see if anybody likes it. Anybody steals mt idea, and i'll bite your ankles. Although you're safe Render, since I love the little line under your profile picture.

NovaKCT

I absolutely suck at drawing. Ack. I could make some paper drawings, but I suck at human-like anatomy, with a anthro body on top. I can't even draw humans. [insert it's easier to draw furries then humans meme] The art of my fursona was basically a hit or miss. I gave her relatively simple details, and the base for the drawing, and I got my pretty derg. I wuv the art of Nova, and I won't replace my current artist with a different one unless I had to. I'm not expecting to have it done at any point close in the future, but I would like anybody who would be able to do concept art to draw something up for me. I most likely won't be able to pay them, unless it would be an art trade. Ack. I hate not having a credit card.

Hail-Purity

Cat-Lover
Sounds like quite the project
you can always commission someone to do a ref sheet for you and then build it yourself

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I used to work in composites for a company. I was in charge of making composite parts for the C-130 aircraft just before and during Operation Desert Storm. PM me and give me more details and I'll tell you if it is feasable in my opinion. Composites aren't that hard to work with, if you know how. It just depends on what you are trying to do. I used to design and make the molds and layout patters for the parts, plust run a crew making the parts. Graphite is going to be your lightest material overall. I have toyed with the idea of making fursuit heads out of composite. I know some killer tricks for doing that. The main thing you need is a really good, hard, vacuum system (I'm talking about holding at least 25hg minimum) and an oven to cook in. With composites, you don't need any reinforcing mesh or anything like that. The fibers provide the structural bonding.

NovaKCT

I used to work in composites for a company. I was in charge of making composite parts for the C-130 aircraft just before and during Operation Desert Storm. PM me and give me more details and I'll tell you if it is feasable in my opinion. Composites aren't that hard to work with, if you know how. It just depends on what you are trying to do. I used to design and make the molds and layout patters for the parts, plust run a crew making the parts. Graphite is going to be your lightest material overall. I have toyed with the idea of making fursuit heads out of composite. I know some killer tricks for doing that. The main thing you need is a really good, hard, vacuum system (I'm talking about holding at least 25hg minimum) and an oven to cook in. With composites, you don't need any reinforcing mesh or anything like that. The fibers provide the structural bonding.

I've got to say, the C-130 has to be my favorite large aircraft.

I do need something very light, and something that would be easy to mold, and can resist damage from a multitude of stuff. I at least want it to be strong enough to resist boops and headpats. I don't have any way of getting a vacuum chamber, and the school's chemical gas chamber, in the chemistry lab, aren't airtight. And for the oven, i'm not sure how I would get that. >.>

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I've got to say, the C-130 has to be my favorite large aircraft.

I do need something very light, and something that would be easy to mold, and can resist damage from a multitude of stuff. I at least want it to be strong enough to resist boops and headpats. I don't have any way of getting a vacuum chamber, and the school's chemical gas chamber, in the chemistry lab, aren't airtight. And for the oven, i'm not sure how I would get that. >.>

You don't need a vacuum chamber. You just need a vacuum "system". What I used to use was a vacuum pump that would pull a vacuum in a tank. From the tank full of "nothing" lol, I would run special hoses that went to the molds. The molds would be covered in a vacuum bag to keep the composite material pressed up against them to keep the shape while cooking off. Composites are uber strong. I did a prototype of a 737 window plug for FedX that turned a 7.5 lb milled aluminum window into a 12 oz graphite composite part. I figure a whole fursuit head would weigh about a pound because they wouldn't be as thick. I could put hard points in the head for mounting things like fans and jaw hinges. I really only need to make the molds.

M

Massan Otter

If you end up going low-tech on the project, I've seen the sheet material for vinyl wrapping cars in a faux carbon fibre print.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
If you end up going low-tech on the project, I've seen the sheet material for vinyl wrapping cars in a faux carbon fibre print.
You still have to have something to apply the vinyl onto. The ABS plastic sounds good on its face, but it wouldn't hold up and would break easily.