• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anatomy and color on this pic.

Rock E.Horror

Loves Cruis'n USA music
This is my second try drawing a female character, this picture is just a sketch, so i want to improve it before i continue.
I need critiques about her anatomy, and about the color and shades.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17342653/

As my second try, i still need to know female anatomy a bit better.

Deathclaw

The only major errors I see are the body shape and position of the eye. The body needs more curves to make it look more feminine ... Right now it just kinda looks like a rectangle with boobs. And for the eye, just move it back away from the muzzle and maybe downwards a little. Just keep workin and paying attention to small details and your drawings will improve over time.

Maugryph

This is my second try drawing a female character, this picture is just a sketch, so i want to improve it before i continue.
I need critiques about her anatomy, and about the color and shades.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17342653/

As my second try, i still need to know female anatomy a bit better.

It's a nice attempt for your second try but honestly everything is flat. A woman's body is not a flat rectangle, it has curves dimension.You need to learn draw real woman first before you an fuse it with another animal, get a good book on anatomy,a popular one is drawing the human figure by Loomis. Practice his techniques for a few months. when your beginning don't rely on photos, practice drawing actual women in from life, ask a friend to pose for you. dont worry about color or shading until you can make your sketches look dimensional. keep going

Last edited:

Wintermond

The second try seems better than the first one, but I think you could still stress her waist a bit more.
Here you can see some examples of a female human bust, which comes close to the one of an anthro.
Of coure you do not have to do them that slim, though, just define it a little bit more.

Regarding the eyes: To me it seems they are placed to high, while the muzzle is also too stretched to the upper part of her face.
Either you should make her forehead bigger or you should make the muzzle slimmer to have space for the eyes.
This is a fox anthro, right? This tutorial explains something about fox anatomy and even if it does not focus on the head,
you could compare your head to this or photos.
(Photos are always good if you want to learn something about anatomy)

Rock E.Horror

Loves Cruis'n USA music
Finally, i finished the picture, now i will put it here, so you can criticize it.
I need more critics about the color, because i think that i did good with her anatomy (or maybe i didn't ?).
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17349432

Gigglebot

I think it's progressing nicely. The color looks pretty good. Maybe you should think of changing the shirt color so it's not so matchie with her fur color.

Tiamat

Sex nuts and retard strong
Banned
I think you need to incorporate more studies of real people and clothing, which is something all artists should do all the time. This will improve your work as a whole. (As Mau pointed out)

Last edited:

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
You need to work on anatomy proportions and body curve. -Assuming you're aiming for a humanized look. Don't be afraid to experiment with -literally- hourglass shapes for figure drawings. When it comes to anatomy studies and learning to draw realistically portioned characters, sometimes it's beneficial to exaggerate proportions and shot for cartoony, unrealistic proportions. Draw ladies' waists extra thin with wider hips, draw blown out muscles on a male character, go nuts. Once you have a confident feel for how muscles are proportioned, curves are drawn and body parts are sized, you can start to tone things down to wherever you're aiming for. Don't bother drawing clothes on your practice figs! You need to start from the bottom first; skeletal fig, muscle proportions, then outline THEN clothes. Don't waste too much time on working a drawing to "completion" for practice. Work on some (undetailed) nudes so you can get a feel for anatomy.
Another thing you can try LATER is shading those rounded anatomy bits to add additional curvature. Also keep in mind what colors you're using. Use softer colors so you have something to "shade" over. if you start with dark shades, the only "shade" you can add is yet another darker shade. You don't want to back yourself into a corner with no place to go. if you color her pants flat black, there's no shades you can add to give dimension; you've gone as black as you can get! Try a dark grey so you can make the unlit edges darker. Even the darkest of clothes aren't pure flat black.

AlexDama

I don't find the lack of curves problematic as some women do have a square / rectangle body. However, if you want to improve with anatomy, you need to be sure you know how everything is shaped and where it is. I'm saying that because the breasts look a bit off to me. One of them should stick out a bit since your character isn't facing and the other shouldn't start under the arm. Also, the neck looks too thick with these proportions, it's like the shoulders are barely there but have been replaced by a neck. The legs look to small, even for a short-legged character, but maybe it's because the torso is so long. You can make it work if your practise, though. The biggest issue is the head, nothing is really well defined so it looks off. Try to look at people's body (with various proportions) and animal's head.

okay

hot ham sandwich
The thing that sticks out to me at the moment, is less the anatomy and more the line quality. Curves can be curves, but if they are accomplished by a bunch of disconnected strokes, you're going to have some problems with how they read. Things right now read as very stiff even though i see plenty of curves. A curve drawn with one stroke is going to look a lot better than one drawn by moving the stylus (i'm assuming you're using a tablet) back and forth, slowly toward the end point, which is what i'm getting here.

The tail looks okay anatomy-wise, but it doesn't flow well because it's not one solid stroke, or at least it doesn't read as one. And flow is everything in something like a tail. I'm noticing pressure changes, there's a lot of jitter, etc. You want to be able to see pressure changes happen in a way that makes sense. The stroke should feel like one smooth line, which is usually drawn semi-quickly and if possible, with one movement.

A blue line layer is where most of your sketchiness will be, so you have a guide for where your lines should go. This will allow you to give a stroke a few shots which will be fairly similar. It's why people use Ctrl-Z a lot. Once you have your blue line, a stroke takes a second and if you mess it up it's no big deal to retry it.

Really look into ways to develop line confidence, and how to make your drawing tool make smoother curves. It's going to be a lot easier to discern the problems with anatomy and things if the lines are of better quality.

Also looking into hair will be very helpful for you. Hair is really simple but you have to study it. Starting with a thicker, pressure-sensitive brush and working with the broader shapes of it will make it look much better than if you use smaller strokes to start. You can add the marks of single hairs in later, but working only in thin strokes will make the hair look very thin.

I hope this helps out. It's definitely, to me anyway, a bigger problem than the anatomy though that has it's issues as well. But these tips will help you retain your practice a bit better because your muscle memory keeps it as long, single strokes and it'll get much easier quicker than retaining that information as a bunch of tiny strokes.