• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Angel Dragon "rules"?

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Where's the fun in having a character if there must be restrictions?

PriestessShizuka

Dragon Master
So you don't lay claim on the name "Angel Dragon" or don't inhibit use of the name for any reason, but impose a ton of nonsense rules on them that EVERYONE must follow?

The hypocrisy is strong here.

You know what, I just imagined a Dutch angel dragon. He has a muzzle ring, half-chocobo, and is called "Dishwasher". Come at me.

You didn't read the post correctly at all. No one is laying a single copyright to the entire Angel Dragon mythical species. The madeup species that is copyrighted by ino89777/Telephone is "Dutch Angel Dragon."
If you're so hellbent on making a character just to spite a madeup original species by breaking all that species's rules and guidelines, then have at it. You're not making a single worthwhile point. If you want more fun trying to get a big rise out of a subfandom, try somewhere else.

Joey

Boo-hoo. There's guidelines you have to follow. Deal with it, nerds.

The Angel Dragon thing is like a club, and if you want to be part of said club you can either follow the rules or you can just... not be a part of it.

Yeah, some of the rules are pretty silly, but a lot of the other ones are actually sorta clever and keep everything organized.

Whenever someone comes up with something new, original and popular in the fandom, people (and by "people", I mostly mean teenagers) are going to copy and abuse that idea immediately. That's why these rules were written in the first place.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Where's the fun in having a character if there must be restrictions?

Well, all characters must have restrictions of some sort. Otherwise, you'd have complete and utter chaos. And this gross, wiggling pile of flesh/scales/fur/feathers/quills/whatever... and what fun would there be in that? My own characters have restrictions based on their species limits, and the fact I follow the science that no two dissimilar species can procreate together. In other words, most if not all of the furry "hybrids" in this fandom are scientifically/genetically impossible. But then, those are my restrictions when I create a character. Since I create alien species (well, fantasy critters, too, but I still set restrictions, for fun), I like to create critter that, whether they exist or not, could potentially exist. YMMV...

Armored Chocobo

Let's Playing Avian
The Angel Dragon thing is like a club, and if you want to be part of said club you can either follow the rules or you can just... not be a part of it.

Not really.

You wanna make a cute feathery dragon and call it an angel dragon, you don't have to be part of the "club" to do that. No one can stop your mind, not without a heck of a lot of legal paperwork anyway.

It's more like there's a chess club in your area, and you decide to play chess with some of your friends and some made-up rules and they go "No, you can't do that, follow our rules".

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Well, all characters must have restrictions of some sort. Otherwise, you'd have complete and utter chaos. And this gross, wiggling pile of flesh/scales/fur/feathers/quills/whatever... and what fun would there be in that? My own characters have restrictions based on their species limits, and the fact I follow the science that no two dissimilar species can procreate together. In other words, most if not all of the furry "hybrids" in this fandom are scientifically/genetically impossible. But then, those are my restrictions when I create a character. Since I create alien species (well, fantasy critters, too, but I still set restrictions, for fun), I like to create critter that, whether they exist or not, could potentially exist. YMMV...
Of course, I understand that. What I meant was, why have a character if you must restrict markings (no ring on the snout, for ex.), names, or basic physical appearance? I was referring to rule restriction, not so much the universal restriction. I wouldn't enjoy having my inbox crammed with butthurt furries exclaiming that what I'm doing with my personal character is against so-and-so's rules.

Fluffy dragons with bird wings and big ears are nothing new, so IMO it's more trouble than its worth. As far as I see, and I'm open to proof and an explanation, Angel Dragons aren't exactly an "official species"; they're dragons...

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I'm going to say it again, I really doubt ino actually went and registered the species for copyright, and she's just saying it is because she doesn't understand how copyright works. And the rules aren't restrictive enough to make the species copyrightable. In fact, the muzzle ring and fur pattern SHOULD be the thing that links members of the species. Otherwise there really isn't anything to copyright except the name, which would instead be a trademark, and I don't think she got one of those either.

Though I could be wrong...

Otherwise, it's like someone saying "I trademarked (but not really) cartoon griffins, I call them 'groffins' and they can't have blue eyes because that's what my fursona has. Also there is some backstory that came out of a fanfic or something. You can only have three because, um...? Species copyright by me because I say so on my Deviantart!"

If she wants a regulated species, she needs more rules describing what they can look like. Coat pattern variations and types of colors. The muzzle ring thing sounds like a special snowflake thing, I'm sorry guys.

Last edited:

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

you never read a sci fi, its plenty possible

BagelRabbit

There is a reason it's called science fiction...

IMHO, this shouldn't be an issue at all. There is no distinctive feature of the Dutch Angel Dragon race that is unique enough to merit a "copyright." The muzzle ring has been done before. The overall facial shape has been done before, as a matter of fact. The only thing that anyone could call unique about Telephone is her squeaker: I don't think that anyone had used a squeaker like Telephone did prior to her appearance. If you tried to copyright the style of squeaking, though, a massive throng of rabid fans would start throwing bits of rotten fruit at you. So, y'know, that's not an option.

I think that ino should make it clear that doing too close of a replica of Telephone is wrong. Not because of any supposed copyright, but just for the sake of courtesy. However, if someone wants to put a muzzle ring on their angel dragon, I think it would be childish to try to prevent them "because I said so and that's why."

That being said, I'm almost certain that the whole Telephone/Dutch Angel Dragon thing will be old news in less than a year. Or at least, I really really hope so...

-Bagel

[oh, and if anyone mentioned the points I'm making before now, I'm sorry. I'm lazy this thread is long.]

Nashida

She do a blep
I'm not sure how much Priestess Shizuka actually covered so if I'm reposting something I'm sorry.

The only true "rules" are 1. Be original with your design, and 2. No muzzle rings. This isn't so much a copyright thing as a courtesy. While it is inevitable some of the dragons are going to look alike or share colors schemes, she asks that dragons be different and distinguishable enough. This is largely because when people saw how popular Telephone was many began copying her exact design or starting making their own original dragons and Tele's rabid white knights attacked them, something she didn't want. She loves how many dragons there are and likes how big the community had grown (the "official" Facebook group has near 4,000 members), so she doesn't want any more white knighting to happen because somebody looks too different from another.

The muzzle ring thing is also a courtesy thing as she was the original Dutch Angel Dragon, but in her story and universe a great war and event occurred that caused dragons born after the incident to lose them. That's why all dragons "born" after Telephone don't have them/aren't allowed them. The whole backstory is hinted at here: http://www.dutchangeldragons.com/

Actually, the species info tab on that site covers a lot of the stuff.

Joey

Not really.

You wanna make a cute feathery dragon and call it an angel dragon, you don't have to be part of the "club" to do that. No one can stop your mind, not without a heck of a lot of legal paperwork anyway.

It's more like there's a chess club in your area, and you decide to play chess with some of your friends and some made-up rules and they go "No, you can't do that, follow our rules".

If you wanna actually call it an angel dragon and have it be authentic then you do. If it's non-canon then it's not an angel dragon.

Godtier

Truant
If you wanna actually call it an angel dragon and have it be authentic then you do. If it's non-canon then it's not an angel dragon.

Just wondering, what exactly is the perk of having an "authentic" angel dragon?

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Of course, I understand that. What I meant was, why have a character if you must restrict markings (no ring on the snout, for ex.), names, or basic physical appearance? I was referring to rule restriction, not so much the universal restriction. I wouldn't enjoy having my inbox crammed with butthurt furries exclaiming that what I'm doing with my personal character is against so-and-so's rules.

Fluffy dragons with bird wings and big ears are nothing new, so IMO it's more trouble than its worth. As far as I see, and I'm open to proof and an explanation, Angel Dragons aren't exactly an "official species"; they're dragons...

Indeed, and I just happen to have a "dragon" species of my own I created... even gave them their own planet and culture and ways of looking at life. So if someone told me my "dragons" weren't proper, I'd just thumb my nose at them and go about my business.

Oh, I've read plenty of sci fi... gobs of the stuff, in fact. Having two alien species produce viable offspring always triggers my "science gland". Just ain't gonna happen in MY universes. As Creator, my rules... Rule.

Yes, YOUR restrictions. You're not imposing those restrictions on other people's creations, yes?

To be frank, I don't care what other people create... you do your thing, I do mine. You want a human and Vulcan to produce a son, fine. Just don't say my own Universe has to accept such a hybrid. If I want a hybrid, I'll find my own way to justify it (I do write fantasy, as well as sci fi, so it's not like I can't, even under my own "rules").

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
There is a reason it's called science fiction...

So are single species furries what's your point?
Indeed, and I just happen to have a "dragon" species of my own I created... even gave them their own planet and culture and ways of looking at life. So if someone told me my "dragons" weren't proper, I'd just thumb my nose at them and go about my business.

Oh, I've read plenty of sci fi... gobs of the stuff, in fact. Having two alien species produce viable offspring always triggers my "science gland". Just ain't gonna happen in MY universes. As Creator, my rules... Rule.

To be frank, I don't care what other people create... you do your thing, I do mine. You want a human and Vulcan to produce a son, fine. Just don't say my own Universe has to accept such a hybrid. If I want a hybrid, I'll find my own way to justify it (I do write fantasy, as well as sci fi, so it's not like I can't, even under my own "rules").

Apologies if it sounded like I said you shouldn't exclude hybrids, I just meant they were perfectly possible to exist and plenty of authors have created grounds for it to exist exist in through fictional scientific means means, although for the most part I see it less possible naturally and more with experimental interaction and manipulation, if you want to make a stand for "realistic" hybrids, as real as can be.

Though there's also plenty of universes that do not question the natural existence of hybrids as there isn't any ground in reality anyways, it just is.

But by all means I'm not offended it you don't have them in your story.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I remember posting the WIP photos of my bird/dragon hybrid fur suit head, and not five minutes later I received a comment that all but said (and I could be overreacting) "You're copying Telephone". The dragon I was using just happened to have the short snout, wave-y horns, and face spikes that Telephone had, but I had designed the suit long before I knew about this "Angel Dragon" thing.

Here's the post: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11154965/

Last edited:

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
You get invited to all those awesome beach parties they have alongside the Star-Bellied Sneetches.

Shit gets crazy.

Especially when they start playing beach volleyball.......*

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
I remember posting the WIP photos of my bird/dragon hybrid fur suit head, and not five minutes later I received a comment that all but said (and I could be overreacting) "You're copying Telephone". The dragon I was using just happened to have the short snout, wave-y horns, and face spikes that Telephone had, but I had designed the suit long before I knew about this "Angel Dragon" thing.

Here's the post: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11154965/

You aren't overreacting. I mean, "that looks waaaaaaaaaay too much like so-and-so" is typically codespeak for "you're copying!" Which is funny because it doesn't really look the same. It's cute though!