• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animal Rights!!

fernshiine

Can you please tell me where I can volunteer for animal rights activism in Canada? And, like, what I can do online to help? People only talk about human rights it seems but lately I've been growing concerned for the welfare of animals. I feel like we need to give more attention to them.

Our treatment of animals really reflects on our worth as a species, in my opinion.

P.S, please tell me other organizations other than PETA lol

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
Make donations to conservation and shelter groups. Many have websites that accept online donations. Also you can use social media to spread awareness, especially if you have a decent platform and follower base.

It's also very refreshing to see someone bring attention to our animal friends for a change, so thank you.

fernshiine

Finding a local animal rescue to volunteer with might, aside from getting you working with animal welfare in some respect directly, put you in touch with whatever local activism is going on?
I would actually love to do this!
Unfortunately, I live a long time away from any of those places.
However, we have donated some old frozen food to a wildlife haven not too long ago! I can do that again sometime, hopefully.

fernshiine

Make donations to conservation and shelter groups. Many have websites that accept online donations. Also you can use social media to spread awareness, especially if you have a decent platform and follower base.

It's also very refreshing to see someone bring attention to our animal friends for a change, so thank you.
Of course!! I've been trying to raise awareness everywhere when I have the time! :D
I don't have a huge follower base yet. Only about 236 on Instagram, which would be the most prominent. I definitely do donate! Even if I don't have money, wildlife places often want the donation of old frozen food! I'm hoping when I build up a follower base I'll be able to help encourage more people to donate.

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
Adopt some ex battery hens. I don't know about Canada but in Britain we have organizations that cater to this noble cause.

I'd adopt some hens as I have a nice garden but my neighbours are psycho and would probably do something horrible to them. :(

fernshiine

Adopt some ex battery hens. I don't know about Canada but in Britain we have organizations that cater to this noble cause.

I'd adopt some hens as I have a nice garden but my neighbours are psycho and would probably do something horrible to them. :(
Yikes. Yeah, I'm glad all my neighbors are tame, for the most part, despite the fact my family will hopefully be moving soon lol. The worst is the dude who waits till night to use power tools. And I guess there's that lady who sets up traps to catch people's cats for whatever reason and send to the pound...sigh...

Nexus Cabler

Animal rights are human rights!

Wait...
1606744520702.png

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
About time someone started talking about this. On Twitter there's been an increasingly negative attitude toward it among furries, especially where convention charities are concerned. I give it 10 years for most conventions to have thrown out non-human charities.

Kit H. Ruppell

I have to confess that for all my bitching and rabble-rousing, aside from my monthly Sierra Club donation I'm mostly just another slacktivist who signal-boosts my moral superiors on social media so I can feel like one of the "good guys" at the end of the day.

otterpaws

Haven't been very interested in FAF recently
I have to confess that for all my bitching and rabble-rousing, aside from my monthly Sierra Club donation I'm mostly just another slacktivist who signal-boosts my moral superiors on social media so I can feel like one of the "good guys" at the end of the day.
The more visibility the better ^w^

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
About time someone started talking about this. On Twitter there's been an increasingly negative attitude toward it among furries, especially where convention charities are concerned. I give it 10 years for most conventions to have thrown out non-human charities.
Some of this, I think, can be attributed to the really radical nonsense that comes out of the "animal rights" movement, groups like PeTA (or worse).

They have nothing to do with actually helping animals, and I think a lot of people have really begun to see through the marketing schemes.

People who want to do things to make a difference for animals should find local charities to help out - whether animal shelters, or wildlife rehab centers, or rescue farms/sanctuaries. Find out what they need, what kinds of supplies or assistance, and help them out a bit with that.

The larger the organization (like PeTA or HSUS), the less they're really going to be doing any real good for animals.

Nexus Cabler

If anyone is looking for inspiration for helping animals, I suggest following the Dodo on Youtube and Twitter. They feature animal rescue stories, and wholesome animal bonding moments every day. It's a remedy for my depression, and encourages me to continue supporting my local animal shelters and conservation groups.

Youtube - The Dodo - YouTube
Twitter - The Dodo on Twitter: "Watch this wild cockatoo visit his favorite person at home — he walks right through the door https://t.co/YMrcswG1ij" / Twitter

Last edited:

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
If anyone is looking for inspiration for helping animals, I suggest following the Dodo on Youtube and Twitter. They feature animal rescue stories, and wholesome animal bonding moments every day. It's a remedy for my depression, and encourages me to continue supporting my local animal shelters and conservation groups.

Youtube - The Dodo - YouTube
Twitter - The Dodo on Twitter: "Watch this wild cockatoo visit his favorite person at home — he walks right through the door https://t.co/YMrcswG1ij" / Twitter

I love you.

Kit H. Ruppell

If only this would take off like other social justice threads have.

Zara the Hork-Bajir

In response to the original question, you probably need to specify where in Canada you are looking to help, since we are only the second largest country in the world :). But if you are in Alberta I can recommend this place:
You can volunteer or donate, they help orphaned dogs and cats, while this isn't exactly wildlife conservation or anything you get a really good vibe from helping animals in need.

Nexus Cabler

If only this would take off like other social justice threads have.
It is disappointing the more I think about it. I remembered just a decade ago the fandom was all about helping our animal friends first and foremost. When asked why we donated our con money raised to a pet shelter or other animal charity, we would say "we are furries, we just love animals" like we wore it as a badge of honor, and we really did for the most part, and it felt good.

I'm not trying to invalidate the other issues we are promoting awareness for, since furries in general can be a charitable group. It's always important to help our fellow human beings too. I'm just a little upset that it feels like we are loosing an element of our fandom, a part of our roots, that genuinely was the biggest reason I was proud to be a furry.

I'm not giving up, perhaps after a while we will go back to tending to our animals that inspire us. This thread alone reminds me many of us still do care as much as we've always had. There's definitely room for helping both humans and animals alike. No one said we had to choose.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

It is disappointing the more I think about it. I remembered just a decade ago the fandom was all about helping our animal friends first and foremost. When asked why we donated our con money raised to a pet shelter or other animal charity, we would say "we are furries, we just love animals" like we wore it as a badge of honor, and we really did for the most part, and it felt good.

I'm not trying to invalidate the other issues we are promoting awareness for, since furries in general can be a charitable group. It's always important to help our fellow human beings too. I'm just a little upset that it feels like we are loosing an element of our fandom, a part of our roots, that genuinely was the biggest reason I was proud to be a furry.

I'm not giving up, perhaps after a while we will go back to tending to our animals that inspire us. This thread alone reminds me many of us still do care as much as we've always had. There's definitely room for helping both humans and animals alike. No one said we had to choose.
The latest wave of activists and influencers did. Caring about more than a tiny sliver of a tiny sliver of the animal kingdom is apparently every kind of "ist" now. Selfishness is masquerading as virtue.