• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animal Rights!!

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
The latest wave of activists and influencers did. Caring about more than a tiny sliver of a tiny sliver of the animal kingdom is apparently every kind of "ist" now. Selfishness is masquerading as virtue.
They are a few fries short of a happy meal if they think humans are incapable of helping species other than ourselves, or that it is not even worth the time. Human rights always matter, but so do the well being of the animals we make our sonas out of.

Not "caring about more than a tiny sliver of the animal kingdom" is why the books about extinct and endangered animals we morn over get larger every day.

Last edited:

Kharne

The Minotaur Mongrel
They are a few fries short of a happy meal if they think humans are incapable of helping species other than ourselves, or that it is not even worth the time. Human rights always matter, but so do the well being of the animals we make our sonas out of.
I'm going to my local minotaur charity and giving them everything I have!

In all seriousness, what JuniperW said I agree with. It may not seem like a big thing, but as more and more people turn towards buying produce from much more ethically sourced means it really helps out the animals those foods are sourced from. You don't have to do anything radical, just start looking towards alternatives or better produce. I've tasted eggs from local hippy ass shit where it was free-range non-caged eggs, and the taste difference was incredible. I'll end this by saying I'm not trying to make you become a vegan or anything (I'm not even a vegan myself), just making smarter choices!

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
I'm going to my local minotaur charity and giving them everything I have!

In all seriousness, what JuniperW said I agree with. It may not seem like a big thing, but as more and more people turn towards buying produce from much more ethically sourced means it really helps out the animals those foods are sourced from. You don't have to do anything radical, just start looking towards alternatives or better produce. I've tasted eggs from local hippy ass shit where it was free-range non-caged eggs, and the taste difference was incredible. I'll end this by saying I'm not trying to make you become a vegan or anything (I'm not even a vegan myself), just making smarter choices!
It's good advice. I avoid eating fast food as much as possible for this reason, and refrain from buying Tyson animal products as often as I can. I've seen the trucks they carry chickens on. It's depressing.

It's worth the extra money if it's fighting an issue you care enough about.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Imagine furries not caring about animals. That's a whole new low.
Imagine Furries being more preoccupied about looking good rather than doing the right thing.

Speaking of animal rights... I have a few cool channels that I can link as well as their donation pages, but I don't have any of the links currently available due to being on my phone.

quoting_mungo

I'm not trying to invalidate the other issues we are promoting awareness for, since furries in general can be a charitable group. It's always important to help our fellow human beings too. I'm just a little upset that it feels like we are loosing an element of our fandom, a part of our roots, that genuinely was the biggest reason I was proud to be a furry.

I'm not giving up, perhaps after a while we will go back to tending to our animals that inspire us. This thread alone reminds me many of us still do care as much as we've always had. There's definitely room for helping both humans and animals alike. No one said we had to choose.
To the best of my knowledge the vast majority of cons still have a featured/sponsored charity, and have animal charities as their chosen charities. I think a portion of the human rights awareness bits going around fandom recently has been a long way coming, in that certain demographics to some degree may have been pushed into the shadows by just... subconscious social inertia? Combine that with the divisiveness of the last ~4 years of US politics, and the general western trend of white supremacists inching their way into mainstream, and it’s reasonable that a tipping point would be reached where the elephant in the room needs to be called out. It becomes a bit of “put on your own oxygen mask before helping others put theirs on.” We don’t need the fandom to be a utopia of relations between races/sexualities/identities/etc before we can reach out to help animals, far from. But mending bridges amongst ourselves may help us to, jointly, make a greater impact (and not destroy ourselves in the process).

There’s definitely something to what you say, and some of our choices could probably be different without neglecting the aspects that I mentioned above. I’ve certainly a bit of thinking to do on that account, in regards to possible future charity projects.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'm not really involved in animal rights, my roommate recommended the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. According her, they have a good reputation, though they settled a case with Barnum & Bailey that the CEO of the organization had to step down over. That was back in 2012, however.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
First up is the Lion Whisperer:
Lions, panthers, hyenas and the education surrounding them and other bigger animals in Africa. Absolutely lovely channel, and definitely worth checking out. Concerned about wildlife preservation in Africa, The Lion Whisperer have spent many years towards raising awareness of these animals, their habitats and about them as species.

Their official page can be found here, and so can their merch:

Not exactly an animal rights channel but more so an adventure channel, Brave Wilderness does IMO need a mention here:
Featuring everything from sharks to sea urchins to ocelots, Coyote Peterson and his crew goes on adventures all over the world seeing all kinds of animals. The more people who are aware of all the animals out there that we need to take care of the better.

Then we have the Raccoon Whisperer:
Funny, I know. But a good channel if you fancy watching raccoons. Lots of raccoons..

Kinda all the animal channels that I can think of currently unfortunately. Wanted to mention The Dodo, but that one's already mentioned and linked by Nexus, so..

fernshiine

In response to all of these, animal rights have been something humans suddenly slacked off on during the later 2000's and I never understood why. The Manitoban government here in Canada had a spokesperson pretty much talk about how animal rights aren't as important as human rights and mocked anyone who was in support of them saying he had refused bills that were for the better well-being of animals, including farm animals.

Where I live, despite it being taboo and rightfully seen as despicable to abandon cats and dogs, some people go to farms from time to time and ditch their pet cats there. I knew a teacher who saw someone ditch their cat on a bridge so she took home the cat in question and kept her as a pet till she died. There's no real fine in most places for abandoning pets since them being seen as property and all is a setback for their rights. I remember doing a whole thing on it in global issues. Did another project on mental health there as well, I believe.

fernshiine

Not "caring about more than a tiny sliver of the animal kingdom" is why the books about extinct and endangered animals we morn over get larger every day.
The stupid thing is so many animals are shown to be almost as intelligent as humans, missing only a few key factors to make them self-aware like us. So pretty much most humans think they're inferior because they can't talk...

It's really stupid and I knew people who said animals "couldn't have personalities" and more people like that...I don't believe they had pets.

Kit H. Ruppell

The stupid thing is so many animals are shown to be almost as intelligent as humans, missing only a few key factors to make them self-aware like us. So pretty much most humans think they're inferior because they can't talk...

It's really stupid and I knew people who said animals "couldn't have personalities" and more people like that...I don't believe they had pets.
Turns out a lot of that was made-up bullshit left over from Abrahamic creationism. Even "self-awareness" is such a nebulous concept with a flexible definition that can be conveniently teased to exclude whatever species the speaker wants to justify maltreatment of.
That, and there's no rational argument that cetaceans, at *least*, don't qualify for the equally-malleable status of "personhood".

fernshiine

Turns out a lot of that was made-up bullshit left over from Abrahamic creationism. Even "self-awareness" is such a nebulous concept with a flexible definition that can be conveniently teased to exclude whatever species the speaker wants to justify maltreatment of.
That, and there's no rational argument that cetaceans, at *least*, don't qualify for the equally-malleable status of "personhood".
Yeah. It has been proven that whales, dolphins, and the like can also suffer mental illnesses. It's why seaworld ended up as such a sucky place as well. I'm not sure how they didn't know it at that point. I know someone who knew the person

And I make an attempt to make the sucky living condition here good for our pets till we move because I care about their feelings, which is bizarre to some people apparently. I care about their feelings more than my own because of how sweet they are and I love my pets to death. I dunno how complex the mental health of a cat is but better to be safe than sorry.

But animals like monkeys and whales have definitely been shown to suffer mental illness, so you'd think we'd as a species treat them better by now without questioning that? Or do things that only speak human languages matter to some?

Man, I get heated about animal welfare lol. Someone told me animals don't have souls so we can do whatever to them and I just started bawling like a baby lol

Kit H. Ruppell

Man, I get heated about animal welfare lol. Someone told me animals don't have souls so we can do whatever to them and I just started bawling like a baby lol
Stories like this just reaffirm my antitheism.

fernshiine

Stories like this just reaffirm my antitheism.
I have so many stories it's just ridiculous, and even I'm a Christian.

-My friend's friend, for example, shot her cat, and then she (my friend) got in trouble for getting upset because "tough farmer stuff" (apparently).
- Someone said that animals are beneath humans but didn't want to give me a reason why, other than mocking me for being religious and seeing animals as "worth protecting"
- People get exasperated when I talk about how there should be some way somehow for vet care to be more affordable in severe instances and have the veterinarians and everyone in question still have decent pay
-People got exasperated (even mad and condescending) once in school because I stayed home when my grandma's dog died

ARGHHHHH drives me nuts

Charleslr'93

Can you please tell me where I can volunteer for animal rights activism in Canada? And, like, what I can do online to help? People only talk about human rights it seems but lately I've been growing concerned for the welfare of animals. I feel like we need to give more attention to them.

Our treatment of animals really reflects on our worth as a species, in my opinion.

P.S, please tell me other organizations other than PETA lol
Depends on what animal and where the location is. And the food source that people will like to live on.
I don't understand vegans who protest (sometimes with violence sometimes with vandalism) against meat eaters. Pro 2nd amendment, and I hunt, straight up eating what I kill. Deer, rabbit, duck, elk.. I make sure the animal will NOT suffer, and the only wasting of the animal I throw out are the guts, tail and other things unappealing or are otherwise not edible or useful. Leather is fun to work with and produce.. in my opinion. Very little goes to waste, they don't suffer, I enjoy and celebrate their life by making very good foods with the animal meat. I don't over-hunt, I don't make the animal suffer, I don't just waste the meat... I don't do trophy hunting.. what gives, vegan activists..? Are you coming to burn down my house? Or can someone with a sound mind and calm attitude tell me what the problem is with people who eat meat? Is it every meat eater that you have a issue with? Or is it some? Mass confusion on a galactic scale.

Kit H. Ruppell

Since people seem to have forgotten about this thread (demonstrating my earlier point):

Captivity is highly detrimental to cetaceans' mental health.

Kit H. Ruppell

Kit H. Ruppell

The thread is dead again, as expected. As is this whale.
If you don't already know about the savagery of Taiji, I suggest you research it. It's horrific.

Lupus Et Revertetur

Metal Misanthrope
I know that this is an important issue, as is other subjects that I feel are important to discuss, but I could have sworn political discussion and threads aren't allowed, and my comments pertaining to politics were deleted for some reason. Very strange how rules bend in the favor of other people who feel strong about certain issues.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I know that this is an important issue, as is other subjects that I feel are important to discuss, but I could have sworn political discussion and threads aren't allowed, and my comments pertaining to politics were deleted for some reason. Very strange how rules bend in the favor of other people who feel strong about certain issues.
I don't think animal rights falls under politics. I don't see meerkats popping out of holes with red or blue flags.

That's probably why.

On the topic of this thread...yeah, don't go with PETA. I've seen many a thing they've said as utterly stomach-churning.

Is WWF an OK suggestion? The one with the panda logo.
Could also support organisations that tie into the environment, as animal welfare and the state of the planet often go hand in hand.

Lupus Et Revertetur

Metal Misanthrope
I don't think animal rights falls under politics. I don't see meerkats popping out of holes with red or blue flags.
Yes it is, it has been politicized, even if the idea fundamentally isn't. Otherwise, "red and blue" flags wouldn't be popping up when you get into a debate about whether or not you enjoy eating meat, and using movements to get congress to change laws, aside from just the consumption of meat products. It is political, whether you like it or not. Anything with [ ] RIGHTS! is political.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Yes it is, it has been politicized, even if the idea fundamentally isn't. Otherwise, "red and blue" flags wouldn't be popping up when you get into a debate about whether or not you enjoy eating meat, and using movements to get congress to change laws, aside from just the consumption of meat products. It is political, whether you like it or not. Anything with [ ] RIGHTS! is political.
If you have a problem with your posts or threads being removed, take it up with the management.

Kit H. Ruppell

Everything is politicized. Politics is inescapable. Frankly, trying to enforce a "no politics" rule is futile, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about a cause that should be getting more attention from furries especially.