• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animal Species with unique spines (not spikes)?

Hey guys!
I've been wanting to make a new sona in addition to my others that reflects me a bit more personally than usual. Because of this, I want to choose an animal that has something special about its spine.
I don't mean spine as in spikes, but as in the vertebrae!
The only two I've thought of are a snake (...which is pretty much all spine), and a turtle/tortoise (whose shells are essentially their spines!).
If anyone knows of any other animals that have something unique about their spine, let me know! Only thing is I am not looking for fish or sea creature suggestions. Just mammals, reptiles and birds, pretty much!

Thanks for any suggestions! ^^

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
Lemme think of some:
- Xenarthrans have their spines fused in certain places, which makes them more robust but less flexible. The group contains Armadillos, Anteaters, Tamandua and Sloths
- Armadillos also have the whole segmented banded armour thing going on. The ancient, giant Glyptodons had more turtle-like configurations.
- Birds and large land animals (like Titanosaurs or Paraceratheres) have hollow bones to compensate for gravity. Oddly enough, from what I remember, the Azhdarchids, the largest ever flying animals, didn't, and instead had to launch themselves off of cliffs.
- Chondrichthyes (Sharks, Rays and Chimeras) have spines made out of cartilage, like the rest of their bones
- As close relatives to Vertebrates, Echinoderms, like Starfish and Urchins, have rudimentary skeletons that are pentaradially symmetrical, rather than bilaterally.
- Giraffes have the same amount of neck vertebrae as humans (7). Owls have twice as many so they can do the twisty thing
- The most primitive Chordates (Phylum mostly containing vertebrates) don't have spines, but they do have the Notochord, the core component of it. This group contains Tunicates, Salps and Lancelets.
- Hagfish have a skull, but no spine. It's thought they actually devolved their spine.
- Swans hold the record for the most vertebrae at 25
- Ancient giant Amphibians (the Gharial-like Temnospondylians) had spines with bony armour attached.

Lemme think of some:
- Xenarthrans have their spines fused in certain places, which makes them more robust but less flexible. The group contains Armadillos, Anteaters, Tamandua and Sloths
- Armadillos also have the whole segmented banded armour thing going on. The ancient, giant Glyptodons had more turtle-like configurations.
- Birds and large land animals (like Titanosaurs or Paraceratheres) have hollow bones to compensate for gravity. Oddly enough, from what I remember, the Azhdarchids, the largest ever flying animals, didn't, and instead had to launch themselves off of cliffs.
- Chondrichthyes (Sharks, Rays and Chimeras) have spines made out of cartilage, like the rest of their bones
- As close relatives to Vertebrates, Echinoderms, like Starfish and Urchins, have rudimentary skeletons that are pentaradially symmetrical, rather than bilaterally.
- Giraffes have the same amount of neck vertebrae as humans (7). Owls have twice as many so they can do the twisty thing
- The most primitive Chordates (Phylum mostly containing vertebrates) don't have spines, but they do have the Notochord, the core component of it. This group contains Tunicates, Salps and Lancelets.
- Hagfish have a skull, but no spine. It's thought they actually devolved their spine.
- Swans hold the record for the most vertebrae at 25
- Ancient giant Amphibians (the Gharial-like Temnospondylians) had spines with bony armour attached.
I have no idea how I didn't think of an armadillo before-- thank you for so many suggestions!!

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Could be irrelevant, but you know cattos have... liquid spines too? OwO