• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animals and the concept of windows.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
Well I was laying in bed this morning, away with my thoughts when I heard an almighty THUD! on my bedroom window, when I looked up all I saw was a smear mark (dunno what it was), So I got up and went to the window and had a look out, and I saw a few feathers scattered about on the ground but no bird, I am assuming it was a bird, as i am three floors up and many pigeons fly around here.

This got me thinking about how many animals don't seem to be able to grasp just how a window works, especially birds. I have seen cats and dogs paw at french windows looking baffled cause they can see outside but can't get outside.

Don't animals see glass? Do birds have a lapse in concentration when they fly into windows?

What do you think?

twelvestring

The howling wolf
Yeah, quite a few birds do that here, but I can't judge them too harshly as I have walked into a few glass doors myself.

Zseliq

I have seen humans walk into glass doors and floor length windows alot. It is just hard to tell they are there, sometimes.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
No actually they don't see glass, but usually they won't fly into glass unless it appears to be a tunnel (window on one side and another on the opposite side so you can see through the building). Birds don't have the best of eyes.

Randy-Darkshade

Yeah, quite a few birds do that here, but I can't judge them too harshly as I have walked into a few glass doors myself.

I have never done that myself, but I have seen people do that before.

I remember back in highschool one of the doors got smashed (the whole center of the door was just a big sheet of glass) and because of this, students and teachers were lazy and were walking through the door rather than opening it. However, what no one realised is that the glass repair guy had came dureing lessons and put in a new glass, I must of been one of the few that noticed it cause so many people walked into the door.

Randy-Darkshade

No actually they don't see glass, but usually they won't fly into glass unless it appears to be a tunnel (window on one side and another on the opposite side so you can see through the building). Birds don't have the best of eyes.

Thats the thing, you can't see straight through the building, the door does not line up with my window (not by a long shot)

twelvestring

The howling wolf
I have never done that myself, but I have seen people do that before.

I remember back in highschool one of the doors got smashed (the whole center of the door was just a big sheet of glass) and because of this, students and teachers were lazy and were walking through the door rather than opening it. However, what no one realised is that the glass repair guy had came dureing lessons and put in a new glass, I must of been one of the few that noticed it cause so many people walked into the door.
lol, too funny. Yeah there's no graceful way out of that situation.

twelvestring

The howling wolf
I have birds hitting the windows of my house even when we have big blankets draped against them. Hmm, maybe they like the head rush.

T

Tewin Follow

Our old house had big French sliding doors in the kitchen, and at least three birds died flying into them.

My mother: "You took that animal course at college, so you clean it up!"
SRSLY.

You can buy spider-web stickers for windows so birds avoid them.

Tycho

I've seen dogs run into glass before, I've heard of cats doing it. Hell, I've seen a dog crash into (and through) a screen door, and look utterly STUNNED that they had collided with anything at all.

This is why cats are smarter. Dogs run into screen doors. Cats know better, so they climb them and shred them to get out.

NomeKo

Lol, i remember that my granpa broke one glass with his head, it was funny at the beginin because he was lost like #what happend?# but then we saw he had a big cut in his hand and some others arround his uper boddy *glup*

Azerane

CAT!
A lot of the time with birds, if it's a certain type of window it can reflect a perfect sky so it just looks like more sky. Then there's also the case where it looks like they can just fly straight through.

I've known other animals to walk into glass windows and doors as well, but they're not stupid. They know the glass is there. You can have a bird sitting outside the window and be completely content to have you sit inside and watch them, but if you get within the same distance on the other side of the window, they won't tolerate it. It really depends on the situation, what's going through the animals mind etc. I know a lot of cats and dogs paw at windows because they've seen something on the other side that they want to get to.

But like others have said, people walk into glass doors all the time.

DarkNoctus

Frostbitten Furfaggot
Animals aren't educated to the fact glass exists. Since it's totally see through, and they don't know it totally exists, they won't be looking out for it.

MetroidBob

Is all write.
My dog seems to have gotten the message after running into the screen and glass doors a few times when trying to get outside.

I'm a bit surprised more birds don't fly into the windows at my grandparents' house. They have a couple big windows on either side of the living room, yet I can't recall in all my years a bird ever smacking into either side.

T

Tewin Follow

You can have a bird sitting outside the window and be completely content to have you sit inside and watch them, but if you get within the same distance on the other side of the window, they won't tolerate it.

Good point, crows are a good example, because they don't trust people at all.
I've also had a fox directly outside eating scraps we'd left for the birds and it did not care about how we were five feet away.

It's interesting how wild animals come to understand how something as alien as glass works.

SnowFox

A bird once got in our greenhouse and kept repeatedly flying into the glass, fell to the floor, then tried to fly through the glass again. I was probably about 7 at the time and found it really funny :D

T

Tewin Follow

Lol wut? Birds can see WAY better then we can.

I have no idea why birds fly into windows, but I also know they like to fly into mirrors for some reason. You'd think they'd try to avoid the other bird coming straight at them, right?

I've seen a wagtail repeatedly attacking a car wing mirror. Maybe it wanted to fight the "other bird"?

Tycho

I've seen a wagtail repeatedly attacking a car wing mirror. Maybe it wanted to fight the "other bird"?

Their vision might be great but they're still pretty fucking stupid.

"STOP COPYING ME YOU BASTARD, I'LL BEAT YOU UP, STOP COPYING ME"