• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animation critique plz and suggestions for PC animation programs

Hopei

Donno if gif work here but can only try :D
IMB_nS22eF.GIF

I know the line work's janky and it looks like his ears just appear (and the two dots where just slapped on after the onion layer stoped working), but it's the frames per second that i can't seem to get right. Or something I'm not aware of, idk, it's the first animations I've done in years as clean linework isn't my forte.

Also I'm a tec noob, i've just been using animation desk and converting the vid to gif form to share it, are there any cheap/free animation programs for PC that're noob friendly and allow gif/flash conversion ? Or just any pc animation programs that's good for hand drawn frame by frame stuff?

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
Two free possibilities I can think of off the top of my head:
--Krita (www.krita.org)
As of version 3.x (it's now 4.1 as of 6/27/18) has an animation docker, timeline, onion-skinning, etc. You can add sound and export to standard video formats. Downside is the program on a whole is a full-fledged digital-painting application, so while you can output animations like the one you posted, it isn't particularly "n00b friendly" since it is capable of doing a lot of stuff. But it's free, and there are tutorials on YouTube telling you how to set it up and use it for animation.

--OpenToonz (opentoonz.github.io: OpenToonz
This program was open-sourced by its developers a couple of years ago. Studio Ghibli has used/still uses(?) this program in its productions. As you might suspect, an application that saw use in professional-level work isn't going to be particularly easy to get into. Fortunately there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube posted by people who have delved into it and manage to explain how to use it. I downloaded this, but haven't installed it yet (bad habit of mine), so i couldn't tell you anything further about this.

---PCJ

Last edited:

Shadowhawkart

Rawr I guess?
Hey there!

How many frames per second did you do for this animation? I think it looks pretty good for one of your first animations in years honestly. Maaaaybe it could use just a couple more inbetweens near the beginning and near the end but it's definitely better than what I did when I really started getting into that kinda stuff. I dunno about you but I generally do around 12 frames per second, but can go up to 24 for lipsync and complex animations. But that might vary a little between animators possibly.

Hopei

Two free possibilities I can think of off the top of my head:
--Krita (www.krita.org)
As of version 3.x (it's now 4.1 as of 6/27/18) has an animation docker, timeline, onion-skinning, etc. You can add sound and export to standard video formats. Downside is the program on a whole is a full-fledged digital-painting application, so while you can output animations like the one you posted, it isn't particularly "n00b friendly" since it is capable of doing a lot of stuff. But it's free, and there are tutorials on YouTube telling you how to set it up and use it for animation.

--OpenToonz (opentoonz.github.io: OpenToonz
This program was open-sourced by its developers a couple of years ago. Studio Ghibli has used/still uses(?) this program in its productions. As you might suspect, an application that saw use in professional-level work isn't going to be particularly easy to get into. Fortunately there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube posted by people who have delved into it and manage to explain how to use it. I downloaded this, but haven't installed it yet (bad habit of mine), so i couldn't tell you anything further about this.

---PCJ

Thanks for the suggestions :D. I had krita tho' it was always crashing on my pc minutes after being opened, but'll be worth trying to re-install for the animation feature. Opentoonz sounds intriguing too, will look into it and explore it when I find time.

Hopei

Hey there!

How many frames per second did you do for this animation? I think it looks pretty good for one of your first animations in years honestly. Maaaaybe it could use just a couple more inbetweens near the beginning and near the end but it's definitely better than what I did when I really started getting into that kinda stuff. I dunno about you but I generally do around 12 frames per second, but can go up to 24 for lipsync and complex animations. But that might vary a little between animators possibly.

14 fps a the moment, could have forgot I tweaked it since. I did make it a bit too fast comparing it now, strange how two frames make a difference. Thanks for the freash take ^v^

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
Thanks for the suggestions :D. I had krita tho' it was always crashing on my pc minutes after being opened, but'll be worth trying to re-install for the animation feature. Opentoonz sounds intriguing too, will look into it and explore it when I find time.

I first started using Krita at version 2.9. I've heard other users report instabilities with it, but the version number was never mentioned. The only time I ever crasahed Krita was in V3.1.3 when I tried really hard to use the text function (which was a known "problem child" at the time). Text handling was completely re-done in Version 4.0 (released earlier this year) to use SVG vectors for text. This application has had at least one major revision and several minor ones occur each year for the past few years. It doesn't 'phone home' to alert you to newer versions, so you have to check their homepage every so often.

Here is a timelapse of an animation produced in Krita (with a backdrop done in Clip Studio, but there's little reason it couldn't be done entirely within Krita):

---PCJ

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
The motion of the animation could use a bit of work.
Since the animation starts from a turn, that single frame when her nose jots up like that isn't necessary.

If you could take this nobody cat's advice then I have a few suggestions. When the turn is fully made have head and fur swing in the direction of the turn and then some. After a pause let the hair flow a second longer before resting in place then go for the face reveal.

That or maybe begin the animation with her head faced down, then have the head tilt bound upward and back down to face reveal.

Hopei

The motion of the animation could use a bit of work.
Since the animation starts from a turn, that single frame when her nose jots up like that isn't necessary.

If you could take this nobody cat's advice then I have a few suggestions. When the turn is fully made have head and fur swing in the direction of the turn and then some. After a pause let the hair flow a second longer before resting in place then go for the face reveal.

That or maybe begin the animation with her head faced down, then have the head tilt bound upward and back down to face reveal.

Yer, the nose is rather awkward :^)

Oh I didn't think to squish it more that way, that's where I needed more frames, thank yee.