• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anime/Manga/Weeb talk

Alys_0_0

Tea thief <3 She/Her <3 POTATO QUEEN
Hey! I don't know if this kind of thread exists already. This is just a place for weebs to talk about weeb things. Only. Weeb. Things. No LGBTQIA+ stuff unless you can keep it civil, no politics because that never stays civil {I don't know why politics would be involved in weeb things but still XD}. Just talk about weeb things here, really! I don't know how else to describe this thread XD

Amajiki is the only weeb crush that I've ever had or possibly will ever have. He's just so cute!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Eh, can I ask for anime recommendations based on ones I've seen?

Alys_0_0

Yea! That counts as weeb talk! Anything related to anime or manga UwU

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Yea! That counts as weeb talk! Anything related to anime or manga UwU
Alright. Generally, I like seinen anime, though I haven't read too many manga admittedly.

Series I jammed with include:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Terror In Resonance
- Japan Sinks 2020
- Darker Than Black
- Michiko no Hatchin
- Great Pretender
- ACCA-13
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Here and There, Now and Then
- Kill la Kill
- Code Geass
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Aldnoah Zero
- Gundam

My girlfriend introduced me to Princess Mononoke, which I hadn't seen before this year. I liked that, so we're going to watch Howl's Flying Castle sometime soon. I've generally liked Hayao Mikazaki's writing and books and well as him as a person, but just never got around watching his films.

Alys_0_0

You have a lot more anime experience than me. I'm not great at recommending things but maybe someone else will jump in and help!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
You have a lot more anime experience than me. I'm not great at recommending things but maybe someone else will jump in and help!
That's fine. What series have you enjoyed?

Alys_0_0

That's fine. What series have you enjoyed?
I'm strangely obsessed with fantasy things so I love:
Ao No Exorcist {Blue Exorcist}
Boku No Hero Academia
Magi {The Adventure Of Sinbad}
Tokyo Ghoul manga {I'm not usually into gore stuff but this was the perfect mix}
Fairy Tail
Pokemon {lame, I know, but I've always liked Pokemon}

That's all I can think of right now but I love anime and manga like these!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'm strangely obsessed with fantasy things so I love:
Ao No Exorcist {Blue Exorcist}
Boku No Hero Academia
Magi {The Adventure Of Sinbad}
Tokyo Ghoul manga {I'm not usually into gore stuff but this was the perfect mix}
Fairy Tail
Pokemon {lame, I know, but I've always liked Pokemon}

That's all I can think of right now but I love anime and manga like these!
My Hero Academia is pretty good from I've seen of it, but I still need to finish the first season, lol. I'm contemplating watching Tokyo Ghoul since I heard good things about it.

Alys_0_0

My Hero Academia is pretty good from I've seen of it, but I still need to finish the first season, lol. I'm contemplating watching Tokyo Ghoul since I heard good things about it.
I really liked Tokyo Ghoul! The creators did really well with the emotional connections which is what I love in everything. My Hero Academia was amazing as a manga but I haven't watched the anime yet. My banner is a little fan art of Shoto Todoroki and Amajiki {my favourite character in existence} that I found on google.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
If we're listing series' we've watched, read through, et al:

Read
Dorohedoro. It's... a trip, to put it lightly. Noi is NO1 and all that, but I'll admit that the second half gets a bit off between reading it between update stretches and that it seems to be a little too quick to go "Eh, Magic User Society as a whole wasn't all that bad". But it has some pretty decent characters, the design for Curse is just [chef kiss], and its comparisons as "Berserk for people who've aged beyond High School" tend to be accurate enough. Speaking of...

Berserk. To give a free Controversial Opinion: Not much a fan of it post-Black Swordsman arc. Specifically everything that happens after the Berserker Armor is acquired. Up until that point (up to and including its acquisition, sort of)? Excellent, great fun. You would not think you could have such enjoyment of a universe saying "Fuck this character in particular". Has some... sketchy moments, before then (even more sketchy character designs), but not enough to break the work. After that point it... kind of unravels. A lot. And by that I mean a C-list side character from around the point I said things fall apart? They become arguably the most interesting one at this point (Silat, for reference), outside one-off "Yeah!" moments (Like the slap that echoed across social media for about two weeks). Everyone wants Guts to stab them with his Dragonslayer, including the blatantly underage characters, and that just kind of... makes it hard to enjoy everything from that point on. It's like the final season of Game of Thrones, only instead of a final and partial season it's about 1/3 of the series.

Delicious in Dungeon. Starts very light hearted, gets... unexpectedly heavy, but overall a solid recommendation to people.

Fist of the North Star. To continue something people may begin to be noticing a pattern with: I'd recommend sticking to the first series / part, as well as some of the Gaidens (Keep in mind that the Rei Gaiden is drawn by a notorious hentai mangaka so it may give you whiplash like a motherfucker). The second series is basically a rehash of the first but with less of its charm (Though Ein is a treasure second only to the likes of Shu and Fudou), and has some pretty questionable choices in having one of the characters from the first series get the hots from Kenshiro in a manner that's extremely questionable. Oh yeah, it also hasn't necessarily aged the best in general since it was made in the 80's, but it has some character gems and it's great for getting familiar with where a lot of modern Shonen tropes originated.

One-Punch Man (Webcomic). I specify webcomic as I feel like Murata's treatment of it - while interesting in some regards - kind of miss a few points of the series and have some fairly obvious "Editor stepped in because every Shonen Manga needs an [x] arc". Has some... questionable, decisions even in the original (And by that I mean holy gods if Murata changes the Origin of Darkshine Alloy I'll take back everything I said about them without hesitation and his attempted salvaging of one of the top A-Heroes was far too needed, but saying more gets into one of the subjects warded off by OP), but everything up to and through the Garou arc is generally solid enough.

Mob Psycho 100. Handled infinitely better by ONE than O-PM, and overall a pretty solid (and complete: Including its side-stories!) series. Also, both its anime seasons are consistently top notch, and Redraw Reigen was a gift to the world. The Netflix adaptation should be avoided at all costs. The Stageplay is worth finding a way to watch. Also avoids one of the biggest hang-ups of series' like BNHA, namely "Has a majority minor cast but doesn't try to make the audience get the hots for them / have a Perverted Comic Relief character" (admittedly the latter is Shonen baggage in general, so I can't really diss BNHA for that one specifically).

Vinland Saga. Like Dorohedoro, often described as "Berserk for those who left High School". This is a bit deceptive, as after the prologue Vinland Saga shifts hard in themes (or, more accurately: Gets to the point of why those themes suffused the prologue), but honestly good enough to sucker people into the series. Does not have anywhere near as much baggage as either of the two other series' mentioned in this specific entry (even if the first flashback does have an... unfortunate, moment involving Leif), and generally it's worth watching Thorfinn's development from childhood into adulthood (as well as meeting the various side characters along the way). Also Thorkell punches a horse. If you've not seen anything else from the series, you've probably seen at least that.

Trying to remember any other major (or minor) series' I read all the way through. I want to say I read S-cry-ed, but the fact I can neither remember nor offer any commentary probably says all that needs to be said. Definitely recall reading some Inuyasha when younger, but nowhere near completely and see S-cry-ed commentary. Junji Ito's works, maybe? Definitely read those, though I'd hesitate to recommend those (Yes: In a ost wherein I included Dorohedoro and Berserk) on a public forum for rather obvious reasons. Oh! There's Way of the House Husband, that one's pretty solid (if very episodic).

Attaman

... Actually, I'll be here all day if I include Watched as its own category too, so I'll generally repeat much (though not all) of @Miles Marsalis list but with a few additions / notes:

Zombieland Saga is supposedly a pretty solid introduction to idol-based anime, and also somehow has one of the more positive trans representations. I say supposedly as I never really watched it past the first episode because I quickly realized "Well, this is not my kind of genre". Wouldn't say I had a bad experience with it, just... nothing that caught my particular interest either.

If you can somehow do so, find the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes over the modern remaster. Much more comprehensive, and generally a bit more fitting to the source material.

Never touch the modern Berserk media outside the movies (and even then, general consensus is they're "Solidly okay"). The anime is infamous for horrendous everything. CLANG.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
@Attaman definitely mentioned one I forgot, Mob Psycho 100. Just characterization and morals in that series blew me away. It was definitely an anime series that caught me unawares.

I'd also add Planetes to the list, both for its character development and realistic depiction of spaceflight.

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
I can always recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Always.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

Attaman

"Hm, maybe I'm selling S-Cry-Ed short. Maybe it actually had some good moments."
Watches the video.
"Oh, no. First guess was right."

Again, I don't recall it being particularly terrible, but I just... can't recall any real shining moments. On which note, G Gundam deserves an honorable mention (even if some of its designs have... shall we say, not aged the best. Though in its favor it tends to be so hammy that the worst of them rarely come off as actively malicious). Also has a very decent soundtrack, though it's the Shonen of Gundam so don't go in expecting "War is Bad" (do expect a surprise "Pollution is Bad" and "Nature Good", tho).

Alys_0_0

That sounds really cool! I haven't watched Beastars but I've read it and I loved it!

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
Alright. Generally, I like seinen anime, though I haven't read too many manga admittedly.

Series I jammed with include:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Terror In Resonance
- Japan Sinks 2020
- Darker Than Black
- Michiko no Hatchin
- Great Pretender
- ACCA-13
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Here and There, Now and Then
- Kill la Kill
- Code Geass
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Aldnoah Zero
- Gundam

My girlfriend introduced me to Princess Mononoke, which I hadn't seen before this year. I liked that, so we're going to watch Howl's Flying Castle sometime soon. I've generally liked Hayao Mikazaki's writing and books and well as him as a person, but just never got around watching his films.
All three of the 'aBe trifecta' Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, and Haibane Renmei. I consider Texhnolyze in particular to be the greatest anime of all time. Lain is an essential for anyone into cyberpunk/philosophy/mindfuckery. Haibane Renmei is really conceptual and a beautiful rumination on depression and dying.

Ergo Proxy - I wasn't as huge a fan, but based on your list, I'd say give it a try. The setting is great and it's dark and gritty.

Mardock Scramble

Kino's Journey - the original season and the reboot are both fantastic

Monster

Psycho Pass (I haven't seen season 2 though)

Paranoia Agent and really anything by Satoshi Kon, I consider him on par with Miyazaki as a writer and director, RIP though

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mononoke (the anime, not the film)

Kaiba

Mushi-Shi - a bit slower than some of those, but it's very philosophy heavy which you might enjoy

Boogiepop Phantom - try Lain first, and if you enjoyed Lain's atmosphere, give this anime a watch

Wolf's Rain

If I had to tell you to pick three from this list to watch first, it would be Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, and Kino's Journey.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
All three of the 'aBe trifecta' Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, and Haibane Renmei. I consider Texhnolyze in particular to be the greatest anime of all time. Lain is an essential for anyone into cyberpunk/philosophy/mindfuckery. Haibane Renmei is really conceptual and a beautiful rumination on depression and dying.

Ergo Proxy - I wasn't as huge a fan, but based on your list, I'd say give it a try. The setting is great and it's dark and gritty.

Mardock Scramble

Kino's Journey - the original season and the reboot are both fantastic

Monster

Psycho Pass (I haven't seen season 2 though)

Paranoia Agent and really anything by Satoshi Kon, I consider him on par with Miyazaki as a writer and director, RIP though

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mononoke (the anime, not the film)

Kaiba

Mushi-Shi - a bit slower than some of those, but it's very philosophy heavy which you might enjoy

Boogiepop Phantom - try Lain first, and if you enjoyed Lain's atmosphere, give this anime a watch

Wolf's Rain

If I had to tell you to pick three from this list to watch first, it would be Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, and Kino's Journey.
I have seen Serial Experiments Lain and was a little underwhelmed by it at times, but it was an interesting series. However, Texhnolyze I agree with you about; I can't believe I left that out. The series is in Cowboy Bebop territory.

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
What was underwhelming about Lain? The animation quality definitely didn't age well and there's a lot of old school computer referencing but I don't think I have sat and thought a lot about what I was watching with an anime as much as Lain.

Mind you a lot of my tastes is in older stuff, typically before the 10s, and I don't mind slower paced stuff as long as it has something to say, so some of my recommendations may not have as much action.

I forgot to mention how I specifically recommend Tokyo Godfathers if you're looking into Satoshi Kon, which I think you will like if Cowboy Bebop is your favorite anime.

On the topic of anime film (not just series) I recommend Jih-roh, Memories, GitS: Innocence, Akira, Roujin Z, Angel's Egg, and Cat Soup.

There's a certain website called myanimelist that has recommendations for anime based on the anime you're reading about that really helped expand my tastes and help me find some of the lesser known gems I have mentioned such as Mardock Scramble and Kaiba.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
What was underwhelming about Lain? The animation quality definitely didn't age well and there's a lot of old school computer referencing but I don't think I have sat and thought a lot about what I was watching with an anime as much as Lain.

Mind you a lot of my tastes is in older stuff, typically before the 10s, and I don't mind slower paced stuff as long as it has something to say, so some of my recommendations may not have as much action.

I forgot to mention how I specifically recommend Tokyo Godfathers if you're looking into Satoshi Kon, which I think you will like if Cowboy Bebop is your favorite anime.

On the topic of anime film (not just series) I recommend Jih-roh, Memories, GitS: Innocence, Akira, Roujin Z, Angel's Egg, and Cat Soup.

There's a certain website called myanimelist that has recommendations for anime based on the anime you're reading about that really helped expand my tastes and help me find some of the lesser known gems I have mentioned such as Mardock Scramble and Kaiba.
Let me qualify what I'm saying with I saw Lain back when I was in undergrad during the winter break with my roommates, so my recollections of the series could partly affected by the amount of time that have passed and another watching might change my impression of the series.

I remember liking that the series artistically showed how how much the internet dominated life in Japan and, eerily, how it grew to dominate life there even more since the series aired. The existentialism the series dealt with was interesting, though the series had a tendency to go on other tangents before digging deeper on those themes.

Some of the things that bothered me about the series was that the setting seemed desolate most of the time, which could have been a metaphor for Lain's loneliness, and the dialogue was sparse. The plot was also very random much of the time.

I didn't hate the series, but I think Texhnolyze was more cohesive and better realized. The characterization was also stronger.

That is just my take.

Sorry for the lateness of my response.

Anybody heard of a series called Deca-Dence? I'm thinking of watching it this weekend.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Weeb things eh?
These recently came in the mail!

EDIT: Also I have seen too many anime to be able to list off everything I've seen
Click here for a complete list of every anime I've completed: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/TrishaCat?status=2

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Log Horizon season 3. LETS GO, BABY!!!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I forgot to liking The Big O as a kid; it was actually one of the first anime series I saw. You don't see too many clear adult role models in anime, but Roger Smith was nice one. I also dug the dieselpunk and noir elements. The series ending could have been better, though.