• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Animsim.

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
After coming across a very... 'Crude' form of Animism while reading Concession (Not the best of resources, I know), but after Wiki-ing it, and googling various aspects and examples of Animism, I've changed my religious beliefs to a previously cold, scientific Atheism, to a rather skeptical Animism.

For those who don't know what Animism is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Basically, it's the belief that all entities, human and non-human, living, non-living, natural features, etc, have a soul/spirit, and that there is no boundary between our physical world, and the world of spirits. Some believe Animism stretches into the Names, True Names, and Mythological connections category.

I still don't believe in God, and neither do most Animists. Yes, varying forms of Animism are part of certain forms of the main religions, but they are usually found as the Religion of Indigenous peoples, but with varying degrees of the belief.

For those who still don't really get it:
Think of the world, ((This is Animism at it's crudest form, fyi)) as the Internet. Every webpage represents something. Be it a human, a bear, a plant, a rock, a waterfall, an ocean, a bolt of lightning, anything and everything, has it's own webpage. All these pages are interconnected, either by some sort of relevance, ancestry, etc. Some will have stronger bonds, links, than others, but still, everything, in some way, is spiritually connected.

So what do you think of Animism, FaF?
And please, don't break off topic, changing this into a general religion thread, just stay on topic about Animism, and the ideas behind it, and what you think of it all.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Seems like a form of Jainism to me, but what does it mean when it says " non-human entities are spiritual beings", is that just Plants and Animals?

It doesn't have to be spiritually connected. Water and clouds - they are not spiritually connected, but they do represent H2O.
Many things have relevance, but that doesn't mean they have any sort of a bond. Two stones can be made of the same material, but that doesn't mean they are bonded together.
Your example isn't some kind of wisdom tears as well. Webpages being connected does not mean a significant bond exists between them.

You can find human, bear, plant, rock, bolt of lightning, waterfall and ocean in wikipedia - isn't that enough for you?
Two water bottles have the same liquid. Does that mean the two water bottles are interconnected?

This belief isn't going to lead you anywhere. No proof will do, and no explanation will shift the case.

Cain

Seems like a form of Jainism to me, but what does it mean when it says " non-human entities are spiritual beings", is that just Plants and Animals?
Not just plants an animals. Everything in our entire world, universe, even.

It doesn't have to be spiritually connected. Water and clouds - they are not spiritually connected, but they do represent H2O.
Many things have relevance, but that doesn't mean they have any sort of a bond. Two stones can be made of the same material, but that doesn't mean they are bonded together.
Your example isn't some kind of wisdom tears as well. Webpages being connected does not mean a significant bond exists between them.

You can find human, bear, plant, rock, bolt of lightning, waterfall and ocean in wikipedia - isn't that enough for you?
Two water bottles have the same liquid. Does that mean the two water bottles are interconnected?

This belief isn't going to lead you anywhere. No proof will do, and no explanation will shift the case.

This belief, I know, wont get me anywhere. I'm not looking for some sort of afterlife, some sort of explanation for why we can't find life in space, why we can't fully explain some natural phenomena, or anything.
You say that just because some things have something in common, that doesn't mean they're connected. Think about it, if everything shares a single similarity, say us all being carbon based, that means, to me, that we're all connected.

D

Don

My only knowledge of Animism comes from Victoria 2, and my only reaction to it is "dammit, more pagans to convert."

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I think Shinto is basically an animistic religion. I know various forms of animism were the cultural norm throughout most of Africa before Islam came in, and still a large percentage of people in most African nations believe in some form of animism. In fact, it seems like a good chunk of religions indigenous people follow in general are animistic, on every continent. So it's a widespread kind of philosophy.
I've always thought it a more logical and helpful set of beliefs to worship the universe in general. After all, we know it's here, and we know we're part of it. It gives you more reason to care about things other than, say, your closest relatives, and it gives you a more open perspective on things than, say, worshiping some being that isn't even part of this universe who apparently looks and acts exactly like us (I'm talking the old pantheons--Greek, Roman, Egyptian--as well as the monotheistic religions here). Animism doesn't have that smug sense of superiority attached to it that a lot of other religions have.
You know. George Carlin said he worships the sun, because it's an obvious choice. Worshiping the universe may be an even more obvious choice.

Cain

Let me be the first to say that you are a terrible person
Every time I read a strip I keep thinking 'Wtf is this shit I've gotten into D: but it keeps drawing you back in. DAMN YOU IMMELMANN!
My only knowledge of Animism comes from Victoria 2, and my only reaction to it is "dammit, more pagans to convert."
NEVAAAAAARRR :V

Cain

I think Shinto is basically an animistic religion. I know various forms of animism were the cultural norm throughout most of Africa before Islam came in, and still a large percentage of people in most African nations believe in some form of animism. In fact, it seems like a good chunk of religions indigenous people follow in general are animistic, on every continent. So it's a widespread kind of philosophy.
I've always thought it a more logical and helpful set of beliefs to worship the universe in general. After all, we know it's here, and we know we're part of it. It gives you more reason to care about things other than, say, your closest relatives, and it gives you a more open perspective on things than, say, worshiping some being that isn't even part of this universe who apparently looks and acts exactly like us (I'm talking the old pantheons--Greek, Roman, Egyptian--as well as the monotheistic religions here). Animism doesn't have that smug sense of superiority attached to it that a lot of other religions have.
You know. George Carlin said he worships the sun, because it's an obvious choice. Worshiping the universe may be an even more obvious choice.
Yeah Shinto is an Animistic religion, and basically what you just said there... It gives me all the more reason to actually stick to Animism. And most of it does make sense to those skeptics out there. I am still kind of hanging off the edge of Animism, probably because it's been so long not attached to any sort of faith and having to stick with it, learn about t, etc...

Thanks.

Well Jagged, if this new belief of yours leads to a more fulfilling life than Atheism did, then I'm glad for you. I'm just wondering what the motivation was behind this change in beliefs.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
Well Jagged, if this new belief of yours leads to a more fulfilling life than Atheism did, then I'm glad for you. I'm just wondering what the motivation was behind this change in beliefs.
a retared webcomic if you read the op :V

Cain

a retared webcomic if you read the op :V
Hehe, Concession didn't inspire me, rather than make me have an interest in Animism.
After learning about Animism, then I changed over to it.

Although, there is no real motivation. For changing to Animism. It just makes sense, to me, it's ideals and how it fits in our world. I didn't have a sudden epiphany and a giant choir of 10,000 people shouting "HELL YEAH, ANIMISM FTW!" xD

Wreth

GERTY
Godammit, every single time I see the Cthulhu avatar, I automatically think it is Cathulhu

Also ''Animsim'' sounds like a videogame

Dj_whoohoo

Sounds like a couple other religion just with a different name. Isn't Hinduism like that? I don't really remember kinda to lazy to google it. And didn't the Native Americans believe that everything has a soul?

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?

From my perspective, if you need to ascribe spirits and intent to the universe to feel awe, humility, and meaning from it, they're not looking with eyes fully open. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, this garden is beautiful enough without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it too.

Science by no means has to be "cold". I get more inspiration from reading Carl Sagan or Richard Dawkins wax poetic about the facts of life and the universe than I could from any supernatural puppetmaster behind it all. Try reading their stuff sometime.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
You realize you're talking to an unabashed atheist/skeptic/scientist, right? I said, I always found it 'more' logical than other religions. Doesn't mean I don't still think it's mostly hokey nonsense with no foundation in reality.
Incidentally, A Demon-Haunted World is one of my favorite books.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
You realize you're talking to an unabashed atheist/skeptic/scientist, right? I said, I always found it 'more' logical than other religions. Doesn't mean I don't still think it's mostly hokey nonsense with no foundation in reality.
Incidentally, A Demon-Haunted World is one of my favorite books.

I kinda shifted focus from responding to your post to building on it addressing the OP and the topic in general (quote on science as "cold" comes from OP). Sorry for not being clearer, I'm really just killing downtime at work on my phone here.

This belief, I know, wont get me anywhere. I'm not looking for some sort of afterlife, some sort of explanation for why we can't find life in space, why we can't fully explain some natural phenomena, or anything.
You say that just because some things have something in common, that doesn't mean they're connected. Think about it, if everything shares a single similarity, say us all being carbon based, that means, to me, that we're all connected.
A single similarity is not a spiritual connection. Us being carbon, hydrogen and oxygen based does not prove any spiritual connection.
Whether it means we are connected or not, that varies. At the end, what matters is the type of the connection and not whether it exists or not.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
The ideas behind every religion suck in their entirety, as far as the idea of souls, spirits, and any kind of afterlife or haunting or all that crap.

Cain

Sounds like a couple other religion just with a different name. Isn't Hinduism like that? I don't really remember kinda to lazy to google it. And didn't the Native Americans believe that everything has a soul?
I'm not quite sure is the native americans are Animists, but many indigenous people's do, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Cain

Hehe, I've thought like that on countless occasions xD

Philosophical!