• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Announcing new 'The Daily Show' host: Trevor Noah!

Cocobanana

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/a...to-succeed-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show.html

I have never been a constant watcher of TDS but have always enjoyed the clips I saw. After having seen examples of the new guy, it seems like he will do a good job if he doesn't crack under the pressure of such a huge legacy. Besides getting your guys opinion for and/or against the new host, I have a special request. In my Intro To Journalism class, my beat is Entertainment, and for my Straight Story assignment I chose to write about the Daily Show. Part of the requirement for my paper is to interview and quote two people (and they can both just be people who were fans of the show). So if there are any avid or even on and off again fans of the show here who could spare 15 minutes max for a tiny interview through Skype or something, that would be awesome! Even if no one wants to, again, I am curious as to what other TDS fans think about the change.

He's certainly not the worst choice, I've enjoyed his segments (though none of them were particularly laugh-out-loud hilarious), but I don't know any of his previous work, which makes the choice really iffy. If it were someone like Samantha Bee, Tina Fey, Aasif Mandavi, or what have you - I would stop watching the show altogether - Which would be another huge kick in the pants, because we already lost Colbert, which was already a KO-punch.

Feste

I haven't found an answer yet
I've heard he's good, but it's going to be interesting to see if it works without Stewart's New York Jewish humor that really has defined the show. I'm sure it'll be good, but I'm worried it's going to be too much like Last Week Tonight. Not that Oliver's bad, quite the opposite....but his skits fall really flat, and I'm not sure the guy will be able to stand out. Definitely an end of an era...

Cocobanana

I've heard he's good, but it's going to be interesting to see if it works without Stewart's New York Jewish humor that really has defined the show. I'm sure it'll be good, but I'm worried it's going to be too much like Last Week Tonight. Not that Oliver's bad, quite the opposite....but his skits fall really flat, and I'm not sure the guy will be able to stand out. Definitely an end of an era...

You and I should talk more in detail about this on Skype pretty please dude tomorrow :O!
I've got one interview and just need one moreee (by tomorrow I mean later Tuesday)

DevilishlyHandsome49

The Most Handsome Devil
Well shit.

I genuinly respect Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert... I can't respect someone who tweets shit like that.
It's not funny, but it's also not respresentative of a position known for excellent reporting.

Well, you can always join the Last Week Tonight train.
I have.

Eh, those tweets were made years ago. Even, if they weren't funny, who's to say his humor hasn't changed since then?

Zerig

So Graceful and Phallic
Banned
Oy vey how dare he insult the chosen people! Its a holocaust on twitter!

Somebody arrest dis antisemitic bastid! Shut it down!

Feste

I haven't found an answer yet
Oy vey how dare he insult the chosen people! Its a holocaust on twitter!

Somebody arrest dis antisemitic bastid! Shut it down!

...actually, from what I've seen, it's more the sexist stuff that's pissing people off than the antisemetic stuff. It's not very tasteful, but I think there's an understanding that outside the US that sort of humor is acceptable. Plus Jewish Girls apparently do give good head :p.

That said, his overt anti-Israel stance (I'm talking more about his presence at a Pro-Gaza rally, not the joke) might end up hurting him. Jon Stewart was critical of Israel but never anti-Israel, and the majority of the US supports Israel even despite the recent stuff. While that demographic is more anti-Israel than the others, I can't imagine that's going to end up looking good.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Even with all the controversy, he seems kinda boring. South Africans accents are neat and all, but if you gotta have some wit if you wanna make the Daily Show a success.

:C I wish they had got Jessica Williams to be the next host. I liked her.

I genuinely do not care. It's a joke, and it's Twitter. Grow up, already.

Kosdu

I think it's safe to say that if a person tells jokes like that to the public, they aren't a very respectable person. A respectable person doesn't mean a groomed rich person, it means not stooping to the level of things like that.

@Butterfly

Jessica Williams would have been an amazing host I think (Just look at other people who were "anchors" on the show, Colbert and Oliver)

To me the show is quite the gap to fill, and to be put on the same level as Stewart and Colbert, you have to have integrity, respect, and huge brass balls. Whitehouse dinner with Colbert, anyone?

Last edited:

Gryphoneer

20 Quatloos on "disruptive"
New guy sucks.

No, I'm not on a SJW trip again, he just isn't funny enough to fill the role. He's going after easy targets and then makes lazy, half-assed jokes. I don't care if his stand-up routine is better, that's not what he was hired for to do. He's a let-down of a host.