• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Another what would you do...

Lauralien

Just butting my way in here.
Regardless, people would be freaked out by what they see. I think I heard that birds see in ultraviolet. People would think they'd be tripping majorly or something. And they wouldn't be able to talk to ask what's going on. Unless they're a parrot or something similar.

Vision is a pretty crazy topic, and someone can feel free to correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong.

Many animal species can see into higher frequencies than humans - parrots, reptiles, some insects, for example. Whatever they see in the ultraviolet range is probably some "color" so foreign to us that we could never imagine it. However, bees can't see anything in the red frequencies at all, and parrots can apparently only see limited reds.

What frequencies animals can see is different from color differentiation. Even though parrots and bees have a mostly similar range of vision, parrots can recognize a wider variety of colors within their vision range than bees. This is because parrots are Tetrachromatic (4 cones in the eyes), and bees and humans are trichromatic. Parrots can perceive ~100 million unique colors within their visual range, where humans can see about 10 million. Bee cones are different than ours - ours respond to red, green, and blue, while bees' cones respond to UV, blue, and green.

We've pretty much figured out that dogs and most other mammals are Dichromatic. As far as science can tell, dogs are red-green color blind. We think they see everything in shades of yellow and shades of blue-ish (this is a rainbow according to a dog, or a human that's red-green colorblind.) There are only a few monochromats (that we know of) - pinnipeds (seals, walruses, sea lions), and cetaceans (dolphins, porpoises and whales). They may see only in shades of gray....or perhaps only in shades of red, or only in shades of green. *shrugs*

So...think of the ridiculous havoc that would be caused with hundreds of animal-people suddenly trying to drive or something. Everyone would have such wildly varying perceptions of the world, and there would be no way to create a standard system of colors and their meanings because of it.

I'd stay off the road, probably. Forever.

Mullerornis

I'd use my photokinesis to make myself look divine and gather a cult. Then I'd storm the Vatican and dispose of the Pope whilst stealing the many hidden historical documents and sell them on eBay. Then I'd whore myself to the brittish prime minister so I'd get a personal laboratory on Oxfordshire, where I'd conduct the creation of soul-powered mechas. Then I'd use said soul-powered mechas to bribe numerous radical islamic organisations, only for them to have their souls stolen and have my cultists wipe them off the face of the planet. Then I'd combine my soul powered mechas to form a massive golden Alamosaurus and use it to channel my photokinesis into a beam to utter eradicate 70% of humanity.

Then I'd make Madagascar the center of the new world order.

LogicfromLogic

I don't give two flying ****s
Hm. Probably stared in the mirror for a while, ran around screaming like an idiot and then went about my day as if nothing was wrong. I'd want to see how many people would look at me funny though.

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
Go for a nice long run through the forest before going shopping for some new pants as I'm sure the ones I'd currently have wouldn't fit me. I'd then continue my day like normal, just going on awesome adventures after work everyday.

For the record, I hate these hypothetical questions cause they always depress me realizing that it would never happen... V_V I'm too imaginative for my own good.

Fox_720B

Has left FAF, at least for now
Vision is a pretty crazy topic, and someone can feel free to correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong.

We've pretty much figured out that dogs and most other mammals are Dichromatic. As far as science can tell, dogs are red-green color blind. We think they see everything in shades of yellow and shades of blue-ish (this is a rainbow according to a dog, or a human that's red-green colorblind.) There are only a few monochromats (that we know of) - pinnipeds (seals, walruses, sea lions), and cetaceans (dolphins, porpoises and whales). They may see only in shades of gray....or perhaps only in shades of red, or only in shades of green. *shrugs*

So...think of the ridiculous havoc that would be caused with hundreds of animal-people suddenly trying to drive or something. Everyone would have such wildly varying perceptions of the world, and there would be no way to create a standard system of colors and their meanings because of it.

I'd stay off the road, probably. Forever.

Utterly fascinating contribution. Most people I've met think that dogs see in black and white only. I'm glad to have new information to give them. :)

As for color variation amongst species...perhaps it is generally assumed that the anthro part of being anthropomorphic would also mean that all anthros can see in the visible color range. What they can see beyond that might vary, however. If I woke up as Sky instead of BF, I'd be able to see in every single range of light...but fortunately sky has a second set of retractable (akin to focusing) eye lenses that essentially act as a filter to reduce his color perception to the visible range only. Think of it like a polarizer. (Ah the advantage of being a genetic experiment!)

Either way though, you make an excellent point. Cheers. :)

rhansen23

Sailorhusky
I'd first check to make sure I was awake, Then I'd have a blast getting used to my new body. Course, wants the high wore off I'd have to figure out how to redo everything to compensate, but seems how I've already written my fursona into stories before, It never seemed too hard for him to deal.

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
Ok most likely scenario if a portion of the population (and not all of it) transformed into furries?

Concentration camps a-la-District-9

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
I mean it's unavoidable. Trying to understand things rationally is not the human race's forte.

gadget

What would you do if you woke up AS your Fursona? You are not the only one though over night millions of people around the world have also been transformed.

I would probably play "Chase my own tail" for a few hours and then go about the day almost as normally.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Probably just look at myself all over repeating "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME". Then go for a run out in the woods like when whats his name gets his new body in Avatar.

With the self confidence boost with my awesome wolf self with snazzy head feathers i would probably get out more ^_^

Krieger

De Oppresso Liber
I'd live life to the fullest!
I'd fly around, start a pack of wolves that would act as vigilantes and/or mercenaries...
We could be the furry justice league :V

Krieger

De Oppresso Liber

CatterHatter

The Grain of Salt
I would have wondered if this is what happened.
That's a wonderful animation. It is so well-done let alone I'm astonished that a decent story was told in under 4 minutes! :eek:

For once I have to quote myself as I answered this on a different thread.

"If I became Des I'd spaz out with my feet cause they'd be prehensile, almost as good as my hands. I'd thwap my fat ass tail on the ground a few times to gauge it's weight and how able I am to move it, and then pull it up to me to mess with the gem on the tip to see how it is a living part of my body. A living gem in the body? That's as crazy as suddenly being an anthro animal. I'd probably get lost in how beautiful it is before flexing it into a few different shapes (yeah it can change form).
Then there'd just be a LOT of faggotry. A TON OF IT EVEN."

Before the faggotry, I'd run around curious of what my friends and family had been turned into.

Jaseface

Bark! Bark!!
Eh I would be surprised at first, then I would have to get used to having a tail. I would then carry on as usual but I'm not sure if I would be able to stay in my department at work. I don't think target would allow a anthro huskey to work in the meat department. Probably be able to draw in more of a crowd when I'm DJ'ing. Showers would become a nightmare. It would take forever to wash all of that fur, dry it, and de-puffball it once it's dry.

TheGr8MC

Longetivity is my middle name
Let the animal instincts take over so I can have the wildest Friday night parties ever...or just stay inside and try to figure out how to use keypads and game controllers with paws and sharp nails.

(Shouldn't have too much trouble though seeing as how my nails are already an inch long.)

--Kyba--

Probably go play around outside... try out the new "equipment", go visit my friends to see what they turned into and bother them :D