• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anthro vs Furry??

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Frankly any anthro art is also furry art. Was Looney Tunes originally created as 'furry'? No, but that's what we all view it as. The artist that doesn't want their anthro art recognized as also being furry is really just not fond of the association's they think the name brings. But as is the nature of any art you post publicly, you aren't the only one who gets to decide. And at this stage of the game, if you posted anthro art, it's gonna get called furry eventually too.
Actually, in all honesty, a majority vote (taking all humanity into count) would say that 'Looney Tunes' is not Furry.
'Furry' is a term Furries use for their themselves. If you say that all Anthromorphic animals are Furries, but then clam that you, yourself, are not an Anthromorphic animal, but yet claim you are a Furry, how does that make a lick of sense?

Sl0shy

Frankly any anthro art is also furry art.
uh yea except that not all anthro art is based on fur animals. there's anthro characters based on amphibious, reptilian, fish too ya know. news flash, those creatures dont. have. fur.
kind of a reason furry art is called FURry art, kthnx.

Nataku

Shapeshifting alien dragon
Actually, in all honesty, a majority vote (taking all humanity into count) would say that 'Looney Tunes' is not Furry.
'Furry' is a term Furries use for their themselves. If you say that all Anthromorphic animals are Furries, but then clam that you, yourself, are not an Anthromorphic animal, but yet claim you are a Furry, how does that make a lick of sense?
Not a fair nor relevant poll considering the vast majority has never heard of 'furry.' Of course, let's bebhonest, most humans are also idiots and have no idea what anthropomorphic is either. They'd call Looney toons talking animals. Guess what furries are? Talking animals. Same damn thing, even if you don't know the term.
uh yea except that not all anthro art is based on fur animals. there's anthro characters based on amphibious, reptilian, fish too ya know. news flash, those creatures dont. have. fur.
kind of a reason furry art is called FURry art, kthnx.
And we're using furry here as a generic term to include anything anthro. News flash, I have lots of characters that aren't covered in fur. They're still posted on a furry art site because they are anthro And thereby fall in the furry umbrella. The terms are interchangeable at this point in time in this community. If you tried to split every 'type' of anthro animal/thing into it's own category that was mutually exclusive you would fracture an already small community into a nonfunctional bunch of sects that would likely not communicate well with each other. What a shame and loss of diversity.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Only one problem, the term 'Furry' was created by Furries. It is a title, not an actual being.
You're still ignoring the fact that it doesn't make any sense to call Anthros Furries if calling ourselves Furries doesn't mean we think we're Anthropomorphic Animals.
Also, there are terms used for non-Furry Anthros. Scalies is one for reptilian anthros. So it's already been split up, mate. Get with the times ;3
I should also add that just because some people refer to all anthros as Furries does not mean that everyone has to. As I keep saying, 'it is a made-up-word' for the community. Those not a part of the community do not have to refer to their Anthros as 'Furries' and it doesn't mean that all Anthros have to be Furries.
You're only a Furry if you want to be a Furry, it isn't something that has to be just because you like the same shit. Just like your Anthro Oc doesn't have to be a Furry.
It's not an illness.. it's a community, and a desire to be a part of that community.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Not a fair nor relevant poll considering the vast majority has never heard of 'furry.' Of course, let's be honest, most humans are also idiots and have no idea what anthropomorphic is either. They'd call Looney toons talking animals. Guess what furries are? Talking animals. Same damn thing, even if you don't know the term.

Talking animals, funny animals, petting zoo people... take your pick.

While we can debate the interchangeability of the two terms however, the mistake here is referring to anthro enthusiasts as petting zoo people.

And we're using furry here as a generic term to include anything anthro. News flash, I have lots of characters that aren't covered in fur. They're still posted on a furry art site because they are anthro And thereby fall in the furry umbrella. The terms are interchangeable at this point in time in this community. If you tried to split every 'type' of anthro animal/thing into it's own category that was mutually exclusive you would fracture an already small community into a nonfunctional bunch of sects that would likely not communicate well with each other. What a shame and loss of diversity.

Any more dysfunctional than it already is? :p

The Furry Fandom as a whole is too loosely defined to be a unified community beyond a common interest in anthropomorphism. It's from this loose definition that the fandom gains its diversity through its niches, and it would follow that any attempt to "unify" the fandom further will result in a net loss of that diversity.

Last edited:

Sl0shy

And we're using furry here as a generic term to include anything anthro.
there is no 'we'. /you/ are using it as a generic term to include anything anthro and it's stupid. anthro isn't necessarily furry. end of fucking story.

News flash, I have lots of characters that aren't covered in fur. They're still posted on a furry art site because they are anthro And thereby fall in the furry umbrella.
that's because anthro and furry /do/ have a relation with one another. anthro art is often showcased within the furry community and that's where it arguably thrives the best. that much, i agree with. it still doesn't have to mean 'all anthro art is furry art'.
it doesn't take a fucking genius to understand that non-fur sonas are /not/ furry. if all anthro art was furry art, there would be no need to use the word 'anthro' in the first place and the word 'anthro' wouldn't be relevant to the community at all period. otherwise everything would just be called 'furry'. furry is called 'furry' because of FUR, why else would the word 'fur' be used? jesus fucking christ, are you even listening to yourself!!!?

The terms are interchangeable at this point in time in this community. If you tried to split every 'type' of anthro animal/thing into it's own category that was mutually exclusive you would fracture an already small community into a nonfunctional bunch of sects that would likely not communicate well with each other. What a shame and loss of diversity.
then lets get rid of all the categories in FA's search engine because who needs categories fracturing an already small community? categories exist for a reason. some people like furry art, and some people like anthro/nonfur art. the separation of those terms is used to more thoroughly find the art that fits people's desire without them having to look through a million and a half search results.
ALL FURRY ART IS ANTHRO ART. NOT ALL ANTHRO ART IS FURRY ART. face it, you were full of shit from the getgo and continuing your so called argument will just make you look more dumb. good fucking day!
large.gif

edit:actually i guess not all furry art is necessarily anthro either. nvm that part

Last edited:

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Hi everyone! I don’t know if there’s a thread about this already, but I have this doubt and I want to see the opinion of the rest of the world.

Recently I have seen a lot of discussions of people complaining that his/her character is an anthro not a furry. Is there’s a difference? It really matters??

I’m really curious about it, because to me, and to my friends, it’s almost the same. Maybe the only difference (or at least the only one we came to) will be, well, the fur.

I like characters from humans to ferals, pasing by furries, anthros or monsters. I’m mean, if your character/sona have a great background, or a good design, or simply makes you happy, I personally don’t care if it’s a cherry tree with fussy tentacles and bat wings.

What do you think about it?
I say: I'm flipping tired of seeing ignorant morons either calling Anthros animals, beasts, creatures, Furries, animals w Human traits or being Furry, as all of these are just plain wrong and hella disrespectful. Anthros are Anthros and can only be classified as Anthros. Period. Point. Blank.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I personally don't care what label their of is under because I'm probably never going to be invested in their stories to begin with.

Still kinda mean though, why you gotta hate on the potate?

Ratt Carry

Anthro refers to anthropomorphing a non-human thing to have human-like qualities. Not necessarily limitted to animals or even living things. Take for instance the Brave Little Toaster.
Furries are anthrofied animals that are...well...furry.
The terms vary from person to person. The word "furry" also might carry extra meaning and baggage that an artists might not like whether their character is furry or not.
Right here is the perfect answer. Especially the part about baggage. Though a softer (less accurate) way to put it would be "attracting a certain audience". There are for sure specific design languages that have a greater chance of appealing to certain demographics.

Some artists might like specific kinds of characters but understandably dont want to be associated with/brand as what WE all know "furry" means.

Last edited:

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The Chad Mobian race vs Virgin furry/anthro race.

We have magic, superpowers, lasers, long plot narrative RPs, lore, Eggman, shipping wars, and comics, oh, and Mobians can use vehicles. Also, furries are funneled into FA, DA, and certain high rise art sites. Sonic OC's are EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Simple fact of the matter is that Anthros can't be called Furries because: they're not Humans in that fandom, they're not animals covered in fur (they would be called Furry Anthros, or such) and they're not people with fur. Calling it Furry art means that it's Anthro art made by Furries, and calling it Anthro art means that it was either Anthro art made by Anthro fans who aren't Furries or just Anthro art not made by Furries. Ignorance and stupidity. I hate those two traits.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Simple fact of the matter is that Anthros can't be called Furries because: they're not Humans in that fandom, they're not animals covered in fur (they would be called Furry Anthros, or such) and they're not people with fur. Calling it Furry art means that it's Anthro art made by Furries, and calling it Anthro art means that it was either Anthro art made by Anthro fans who aren't Furries or just Anthro art not made by Furries. Ignorance and stupidity. I hate those two traits.

Is this in the official Furry handbook?

L

LameFox

Whatever you might have called yourself in the past, you still dredged up a thread from 2016 to make this complaint now.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Whatever you might have called yourself in the past, you still dredged up a thread from 2016 to make this complaint now.
That I did, and it still rings true, as does the notion that a Anthro and Furry aren't the same thing, otherwise Anthros wouldn't be called Anthros.

L

LameFox

I'm not fussed however you decide to define it, but I wouldn't exactly get your hopes up about this distinction starting to matter broadly.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
I'm not fussed however you decide to define it, but I wouldn't exactly get your hopes up about this distinction starting to matter broadly.
You say you don't care yet you still comment. Plus, once people get over Furries and their antics, terminologies will go back to normal. Though, this isn't what this discussion is about.

L

LameFox

Like pretty much anyone else in the world, yeah, I do often talk about things that are not important to me lol. Since whether it matters is part of what the OP was asking all those years ago I'd say it's relevant to the thread.

Personally I consider myself someone who draws anthros, specifically anthro animals. Partly because I got into anthros before I knew about furries, partly because I don't have a fursona or take part in other fandom things like suits or conventions. I'm also aware that to loads of people the things I draw are furries and I am therefore a furry. I've never known that to make even the slightest bit of difference to my life so I don't think it's worth worrying about, and when people make a point to be seen as not-a-furry, it makes me wonder about them.

Also I find it kinda funny you seem to think terminology has a normal that it returns to or that you'll outlive furries as a concept.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Like pretty much anyone else in the world, yeah, I do often talk about things that are not important to me lol. Since whether it matters is part of what the OP was asking all those years ago I'd say it's relevant to the thread.

Personally I consider myself someone who draws anthros, specifically anthro animals. Partly because I got into anthros before I knew about furries, partly because I don't have a fursona or take part in other fandom things like suits or conventions. I'm also aware that to loads of people the things I draw are furries and I am therefore a furry. I've never known that to make even the slightest bit of difference to my life so I don't think it's worth worrying about, and when people make a point to be seen as not-a-furry, it makes me wonder about them.

Also I find it kinda funny you seem to think terminology has a normal that it returns to or that you'll outlive furries as a concept.
Anthro fans are still a big thing whether or not you believe in that notion. And this is true simply because no one ever said you had to be part of a community or fandom to have the same interest/s as that community.

Last edited:
L

LameFox

I don't know why you're saying that like I claimed they're not 'a thing' or that you had to participate in any community.

L

LameFox

Really? (In the section describing the lengths people go to to avoid being called 'furry' I expect.)
Not thinking of yourself as a furry is a distinct thing from being preoccupied with ensuring nobody else thinks of you as a furry. That's why I said "being called 'furry'".

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Not thinking of yourself as a furry is a distinct thing from being preoccupied with ensuring nobody else thinks of you as a furry. That's why I said "being called 'furry'".
Maybe, but there's still nu evidence to support the opinion that Anthros are Furries or that Anthros are Furry-related, since common sense would dictate that Anthro media, art and Anthros themselves as a concept came out decades before this fandom ever existed.