• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anthro vs Furry??

L

LameFox

Maybe, but there's still nu evidence to support the opinion that Anthros are Furries or that Anthros are Furry-related, since common sense would dictate that Anthro media, art and Anthros themselves as a concept came out decades before this fandom ever existed.
I'm not much of a prescriptivist, personally. At least for mammals or mammalian-looking things, if you show people an anthropomorphic version of it a very wide portion of them will call it a furry. However they arrived at that point, it's functionally becoming something that doesn't just describe a community. None of which troubles me at all.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
I'm not much of a prescriptivist, personally. At least for mammals or mammalian-looking things, if you show people an anthropomorphic version of it a very wide portion of them will call it a furry. However they arrived at that point, it's functionally becoming something that doesn't just describe a community. None of which troubles me at all.
To each their own I suppose.

O

O.D.D.

It's the difference between a broader, more general concept pared down to a form of slang/shorthand and a more specific descriptor that is ALSO slang/shorthand. The other kinds of anthropomorphization are not typically referred to as "anthro" outside fandom and fandom-adjacent circles so while they are not interchangeable in full they're close.

That said the term "furry" now has a certain cache that someone might not wish to attach to their work, and if they prefer the term "anthro" it shouldn't be a big deal to oblige them.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
It's the difference between a broader, more general concept pared down to a form of slang/shorthand and a more specific descriptor that is ALSO slang/shorthand. The other kinds of anthropomorphization are not typically referred to as "anthro" outside fandom and fandom-adjacent circles so while they are not interchangeable in full they're close.

That said the term "furry" now has a certain cache that someone might not wish to attach to their work, and if they prefer the term "anthro" it shouldn't be a big deal to oblige them.
Agreed. It's just that Furries like to always insert themselves in things that were never any of their business.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
"Oh, I draw anthros, not furries" or "I'm not a furry; I'm a Zootopian," is the equivalent of "I'm not gay, I'm an androphile."

By all means, respect and use the label someone prefers, but in these cases, I think at least a little gentle ribbing is warranted when someone is transparently rearranging the living room chairs and insisting the room is totally different.

Tattorack

Explorer
Anthro stands for "anthropomorphic" which is defined as:
1- described or thought of as having a human form or human attributes.
2- ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things.

Brave Little Toaster or Sausage Party both have anthro characters. The word "anthropomorphise" was even used in Star Trek, Measure of a Man, a TNG episode where Data's free will, an Android, was put on trial, in the context that Humans are prone to humanize or apply human traits to objects or things that otherwise don't have any.
Disney's Robin Hood, The Lady and the Tramp and Zootopia are also featuring anthro characters, but of a far more familiar kind; furries.

All furries are anthro. Yes, even "feral" ones, because the instant you describe a certain action or attribute through a Human context you've just anthropomorphised it.
But not everything that is anthro is furry. "Furry" is just the word we use to describe either;
1- animal characters that have been anthropomorphised.
2- a fan of said characters, or at least the concept of anthropomorphising animals.
3- sentient, sapient characters that aren't directly based on any particular existing animal species, but do carry features that we attribute to animals (i.e. fur, snout, large movable ears, digigrade legs, tail).

But through the process of common parlance "anthro" has almost become synonymous with "furry".

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
When I see shows like TMNT I don't think furries.
When I see a portrait of an animal, I don't think furries.

When I see a sparkle dog oc or anything with a lion king/balto style, I narrow my eyes at them suspiciously.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Anthro stands for "anthropomorphic" which is defined as:
1- described or thought of as having a human form or human attributes.
2- ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things.

Brave Little Toaster or Sausage Party both have anthro characters. The word "anthropomorphise" was even used in Star Trek, Measure of a Man, a TNG episode where Data's free will, an Android, was put on trial, in the context that Humans are prone to humanize or apply human traits to objects or things that otherwise don't have any.
Disney's Robin Hood, The Lady and the Tramp and Zootopia are also featuring anthro characters, but of a far more familiar kind; furries.

All furries are anthro. Yes, even "feral" ones, because the instant you describe a certain action or attribute through a Human context you've just anthropomorphised it.
But not everything that is anthro is furry. "Furry" is just the word we use to describe either;
1- animal characters that have been anthropomorphised.
2- a fan of said characters, or at least the concept of anthropomorphising animals.
3- sentient, sapient characters that aren't directly based on any particular existing animal species, but do carry features that we attribute to animals (i.e. fur, snout, large movable ears, digigrade legs, tail).

But through the process of common parlance "anthro" has almost become synonymous with "furry".
The whole debate is because people who aren't in the fandom keep using terms that the fandom use. People who aren't in the Furry fandom shouldn't be calling Anthros Furries, simple as that.

Paws the Opinicus

*Not technically* a Gryphon!
I've always figured it as the 'characters being anthro, the furries being the term for the actual living people that made them'. Anyways, that's all I'm gonna say, there's enough potential bile building up in this thread as is.

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
As this has become relevant I think I'll chip in as an outsider. Anthros, furries, even scalies are all the same to me. I find the argument going on here quite childish too.

O

O.D.D.

The whole debate is because people who aren't in the fandom keep using terms that the fandom use. People who aren't in the Furry fandom shouldn't be calling Anthros Furries, simple as that.
I don't think this is worth turning into a sweeping language-policing exercise but clarity in communication is nice and should be encouraged, rather than ambiguous or clumsy communication being scolded or punished. Just remember that communication is multidirectional and can be quite subjective and contextual. That, and some hills are not worth waging battles to the death over.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
I don't think this is worth turning into a sweeping language-policing exercise but clarity in communication is nice and should be encouraged, rather than ambiguous or clumsy communication being scolded or punished. Just remember that communication is multidirectional and can be quite subjective and contextual. That, and some hills are not worth waging battles to the death over.
Makes sense. Still find it wrong to interuse the word "Furry" for both Anthros and Furry fandom members.

Last edited:

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I kind of tend to think about it as @Paws the Gryphon put it. The anthro is the character, the furry is the person who created it.

The problem is that the furry is a pretty nebulous thing overall and it never had well-defined boundaries. You might say the distinctions are fuzzy.

Puns aside, part of the distinction, I think, comes from where the appeal of the character is. Simply depicting an anthropomorphic animal is not furry art, and being a fan of something that contains anthropomorphic animals does not make you a furry. Furry starts somewhere in the range that the presence of anthro animals itself becomes a significant part of the appeal. But even then, the distinction is vague.

We want to organize things into neat little categories, but reality often does not fit such an approach.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Makes sense.

I kind of tend to think about it as @Paws the Gryphon put it. The anthro is the character, the furry is the person who created it.

The problem is that the furry is a pretty nebulous thing overall and it never had well-defined boundaries. You might say the distinctions are fuzzy.

Puns aside, part of the distinction, I think, comes from where the appeal of the character is. Simply depicting an anthropomorphic animal is not furry art, and being a fan of something that contains anthropomorphic animals does not make you a furry. Furry starts somewhere in the range that the presence of anthro animals itself becomes a significant part of the appeal. But even then, the distinction is vague.

We want to organize things into neat little categories, but reality often does not fit such an approach.
True. Like a bag of Hot Wheels where one is a Burnt Umber and the rest are just Old Barn Red (I like my color shades).

Tattorack

Explorer
Makes sense. Still find it wrong to interuse the word "Furry" for both Anthros and Furry fandom members.
It's just common parlance. It doesn't always make sense, but it's simply what someone uses out of immediate convenience.
As long as people have some measure of technical understanding of said words/terms I could honestly care less.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I'll just say this--

As soon as somebody tries to tell me what I can and cannot say, especially if it's fucking asinine, somebody is going to get their feelings hurt. Quickly.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
It's a discussion of logicality, not freedom of speech.
This aint a thing of freedom of speech either.
It's a thing of, "you're not going to tell me what to fucking do." Lol~.

Also, logically, we're also talking about anthropomorphic dogs and toasters. This is a really gatekeeper discussion that makes me itch. Aint anything I cannot stand more is gatekeepers in a community thats supposed to be fun.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
This aint a thing of freedom of speech either.
It's a thing of, "you're not going to tell me what to fucking do." Lol~.

Also, logically, we're also talking about anthropomorphic dogs and toasters. This is a really gatekeeper discussion that makes me itch. Aint anything I cannot stand more is gatekeepers in a community thats supposed to be fun.
Welp, if you don't like the discussion content, then you should've stayed away, because simply saying that it makes you mad isn't going to solve or prove anything. Also, it's a civil discussion over the usefulness and correctness over a word. You're the only one typing angrily.