• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anthro vs Furry??

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I'll reiterate, the problem of this debate is the fact that "furry" is a vague term with no widely agreed-upon boundaries. The terms of the argument aren't clear.

Blood Shift, a few times you've mentioned people calling anthro art or anthro fans furry when they aren't furry. But where, by your reckoning, is the line? When is something furry art and when is it non-furry anthro art? What is the difference between a furry and an anthro fan?

I'm not calling what you say into doubt; I just want a clearer picture of your position.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
When it can be determined that a Furry fandom member made said art should it be described as such, and the same for Anthro art or digital artist art of Anthros is when the line should be drawn regarding art of Anthro anything. And the difference between a Furry fan and Anthro fan is that a Furry fan is in the Furry fandom and a fan of Anthros is just a Anthro fan.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
When it can be determined that a Furry fandom member made said art should it be described as such, and the same for Anthro art or digital artist art of Anthros is when the line should be drawn regarding art of Anthro anything. And the difference between a Furry fan and Anthro fan is that a Furry fan is in the Furry fandom and a fan of Anthros is just a Anthro fan.
And "in the furry fandom" just means "considers themselves to be a furry" or something else?

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
So, you mean to say that people who like anthros are only furries if they consider/call themselves furries?
Yes. The furry fandom is a community, where liking Anthros simply means you're a Anthro fan. And when it comes to Anthro fans, you would only find fan groups, which are just small-to-large... Groups. So similar to a fandom, but without the many problems that always follow them around.

Tattorack

Explorer
That is too complicated and will never stick.
Nobody cares whether or not an anthro animal character was made by someone from the actual fandom, they're still going to be called "furry character", and it's perfectly fine, better even, than calling it an "anthro character" as that can mean literally anything.
You say "furry character" and everyone is immediately on the same page about what is being referred, which is exactly what language is supposed to do.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
That is too complicated and will never stick.
Nobody cares whether or not an anthro animal character was made by someone from the actual fandom, they're still going to be called "furry character", and it's perfectly fine, better even, than calling it an "anthro character" as that can mean literally anything.
You say "furry character" and everyone is immediately on the same page about what is being referred, which is exactly what language is supposed to do.
It stuck before when "Anthropomorphic" was the word of the day and overstayed its welcome, and it'll stick again whenever the Furry fandom dies off (which isn't to say that it lost its meaning when the fandom became a thing), unless a new term comes around to replace it. And the only thing that's complicated is using two different names to discuss the same exact thing, especially when that second thing is literally the same name that's been given to members of a third thing.

Last edited:

DieselPowered

Anthro vs furry???!? is truly the question of our age, my life has been forever enriched by the content of this thread.

It's the Internet, this is strangely kind of normal on the Internet. I can only guess at why, and it'd be a waste of time to agonize over it. I have never seen anyone really change their mind and alter their behavior over an Internet argument, which just makes you wonder why Internet arguments are so common. In general there's this weird notion people have that if you yell at someone angrily enough that will make them change course, and that really doesn't work that well in my experience.
Most internet arguments are about insecure people trying to claim they're smarter than strangers, or they quickly devolve into contests of who is better at getting under the other's skin. It's usually ego stroking bullshit rather than an attempt to do anything productive.

Still, keeps the popcorn industry going strong.

Last edited:

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Anthro vs furry???!? is truly the question of our age, my life has been forever enriched by the content of this thread.

Most internet arguments are about insecure people trying to claim they're smarter than strangers, or they quickly devolve into contents of who is better at getting under the other's skin. It's usually ego stroking bullshit rather than an attempt to do anything productive.

Still, keeps the popcorn industry going strong.
Yup.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
There's overlap, but here's how I use the terms:

Anthro: General term for humanoid animal characters.
Furry: Humanoid animal characters made with the furry fandom in mind.

Both categories appeal to furry fans, but the latter is more specific to the fandom.

I have two FA accounts. One for my humanoid cat characters, mostly drawn in black & white with inked outlines. They're anthro, but not necessarily what comes to mind when most people think of furry. The other account is for characters drawn in more of a typically furry style. Bright colors, a little more pinup-like, more furry tropes are present etc.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
There's overlap, but here's how I use the terms:

Anthro: General term for humanoid animal characters.
Furry: Humanoid animal characters made with the furry fandom in mind.

Both categories appeal to furry fans, but the latter is more specific to the fandom.

I have two FA accounts. One for my humanoid cat characters, mostly drawn in black & white with inked outlines. They're anthro, but not necessarily what comes to mind when most people think of furry. The other account is for characters drawn in more of a typically furry style. Bright colors, a little more pinup-like, more furry tropes are present etc.
Agreed. Calling Anthros Furries also serves to bring more people to a website or post as well since the word Furry carries more controversy, which is what people feed off of nowadays. Even if it's still confusing and overused to call everything Furry.

TokoDoggo

Profurrressional Artist
Agreed. Calling Anthros Furries also serves to bring more people to a website or post as well since the word Furry carries more controversy, which is what people feed off of nowadays. Even if it's still confusing and overused to call everything Furry.
I feel like a lot of people outside of the fandom- mostly the assholes who decided to poke fun at the community to compensate for their own lack of acceptance and individuality- are the ones that just lump anyone who likes animal cartoons or creates/draws animal characters into the "Furry" category. All the while trying their hardest to make the term an insult. I was always called a furry when showing ppl my anthro art- as an insult- way before I joined the fandom. And the people that said this were always the asshole non-creatives that were just looking to try to feel like they were better than others. People in the general public also like to turn everything into extremes when they label people. I've talked to people outside of both the fandom and art world about this subject. They seem to all believe the same thing about EVERYONE in the fandom: You're a furry if you draw anthro animals, like Zootopia, watch any animal anime, do the fursuit thing, and yiff. Because the general public is mostly dumb they just assume all of these things. If you do any of these things, you do ALL of these things Also, most of them have no idea what the term anthro even means. Because when I used that term to describe my art they had no idea what I was talking about, lol.
But within the community, obviously Anthro is better understood. It's more about character structure/ physique. And like most of you have already stated, furry is just a broad term that can umbrella anthro.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
I feel like a lot of people outside of the fandom- mostly the assholes who decided to poke fun at the community to compensate for their own lack of acceptance and individuality- are the ones that just lump anyone who likes animal cartoons or creates/draws animal characters into the "Furry" category. All the while trying their hardest to make the term an insult. I was always called a furry when showing ppl my anthro art- as an insult- way before I joined the fandom. And the people that said this were always the asshole non-creatives that were just looking to try to feel like they were better than others. People in the general public also like to turn everything into extremes when they label people. I've talked to people outside of both the fandom and art world about this subject. They seem to all believe the same thing about EVERYONE in the fandom: You're a furry if you draw anthro animals, like Zootopia, watch any animal anime, do the fursuit thing, and yiff. Because the general public is mostly dumb they just assume all of these things. If you do any of these things, you do ALL of these things Also, most of them have no idea what the term anthro even means. Because when I used that term to describe my art they had no idea what I was talking about, lol.
But within the community, obviously Anthro is better understood. It's more about character structure/ physique. And like most of you have already stated, furry is just a broad term that can umbrella anthro.
I still don't see it to be true. But I do on some of your views of society: people always just assume someone's a Furry digital artist as opposed to gathering actual evidence.

Last edited:

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I still don't see it to be true. But I do on some of your views of society: people always just assume someone's a Furry digital artist as opposed to gathering actual evidence.
Though the difference may not be easy to find if the only difference is whether the person considers themselves a furry. I count myself as a furry. I don't hide this, at least not on sites where I have furry-related accounts, but I don't explicitly say it unless I'm asked.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Though the difference may not be easy to find if the only difference is whether the person considers themselves a furry. I count myself as a furry. I don't hide this, at least not on sites where I have furry-related accounts, but I don't explicitly say it unless I'm asked.
Makes sense on the difference and not-telling-anyone thing.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Join the Sonic fandom, we have an actual good movie and your characters get super powers! Plus, server Dr.Eggman and become a cool cyborg!

BigFuzzyBenji

*Hugger*
Sonic succeeded where it absolutely should not have. Part of that can be attributed to them listening to us fans, and correcting the character model. But a large part was that is was just a good old fashioned silly family movie. It had some deep parts, some comedy, some action, but never tried to be too much of any of those (perhaps besides comedy, but I genuinely chuckled at some parts). It was just the kind of movie my folks would take my brother and I to when we were young, and it hit all the right notes.

Sorry to sidetrack.

Blood_Shift

Banned
Banned
Sonic succeeded where it absolutely should not have. Part of that can be attributed to them listening to us fans, and correcting the character model. But a large part was that is was just a good old fashioned silly family movie. It had some deep parts, some comedy, some action, but never tried to be too much of any of those (perhaps besides comedy, but I genuinely chuckled at some parts). It was just the kind of movie my folks would take my brother and I to when we were young, and it hit all the right notes.

Sorry to sidetrack.
I need to still see the new Sonic movie.