• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anthrosaurs?

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
For anybody out there who wants to make anthro dinosaurs, wouldn't their build be determined by the build of their base dinosaurs? Ex: An anthro Tyrannosaurus Rex would stand 18.5 feet tall, while an anthro velociraptor would be a little over 3 feet tall, because that's half the body lengths of the real things.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I assume what you're doing is dividing the body length by two in order to exclude the tail from the standing height [assuming the tail is half the length of the backbone]
So if a T rex were 40 feet long, you would think it should be 20feet high if it were standing with its back straight.

This is actually wrong, because you haven't included the legs. So what you have is a 'sitting up straight' height.

So you should add the standing height of the real animal to half its length [if it stood with its spine horizontal and its tail was half its total length] in order to approximate a 'standing up straight' height.

Since they are imaginary however, their standing height could be whatever you wished, couldn't it?

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Yes it could. I just like the idea of basing their anthro sizes on their real-life sizes.

Since you pointed it out, then the t-rex anthro I mentioned earlier would be almost 37 feet tall.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Their size would be whatever you want it to be, though technically yes: If you're heavily basing them more on their animal aspects than their human aspects, you should look into what their typical frame is. Some would be predisposed towards lithe builds and be poorly suited for packing pounds, others would be walking slabs of muscle, fat, and scale. Similarly height is up in the air, but note that if you're trying to go for a "realistic" design you'd probably have the larger varieties moving in less and less hominid manners. Something 40' tall upright would cause all sorts of trouble from a physics perspective, and would likely be both murder on the ground they tread upon and their own legs (I mean, look at what minor giantism does to human legs already, now consider that they have a full-blown 20' of bulk above).

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Or then just make them whatever the size you want as they don't exist, thus giving one free hands to do anything with the design.
Flea sized anthro T-rex? Why not
Gigantic salamander? Why not

Y'all think too deeply about things

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
When I was a kid, I had an imaginary friend which was an anthro Stegosaurus (sp?). For the sake of nostalgia, I recently tried drawing him again, in a new style. The overall size and build was based on that of a human, though.

The way I see it, an anthro character can be as human or animal as you please, in whatever way. Personally, I have a tendency to make my characters man-size, whatever the species.

Chrome

Well if you're going to make an anthro T-Rex, it better have small arms.

For anybody out there who wants to make anthro dinosaurs, wouldn't their build be determined by the build of their base dinosaurs? Ex: An anthro Tyrannosaurus Rex would stand 18.5 feet tall, while an anthro velociraptor would be a little over 3 feet tall, because that's half the body lengths of the real things.

By that logic all other anthros would have to correspond to their respective animals' sizes.

And that would be dumb.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I'D LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU ABOUT ANTHROPOMORPHIC DINOSAURS

Seriously though their build can be however the artist wants it to be. If you're making a dinosaur anthropomorphic you're already changing it radically so why not make the proportions human-like?

Aulendra

One of my characters is an anthro t-rex. The way I designed her was to be tall, but not humungous. After all, if a mouse fur and a tiger fur can stand side by side with (usually) no more than several feet between their heights, it stands to reason that anthros of even gigantic species would still fall under a relatively normal human height. Furries are made up though, and if you wanted to there's no reason to not make your T-Rex anthro huge if you think that's cooler.

I gave her two-fingered hands but kept her arms at a normal length so she could do "human" things about as well as any other fur (except thumb down a hitchhiker... x3)

Also, she has a mohawk to give her some semblance of "hair", but it's technically a crest made out of proto-feathers. I don't think science has said T-Rex itself are birdies yet, but a close species known as Yutyrannus has been discovered as feather imprints so I believe it's less of a stretch to throw those on then actual headfur.

Anyway, there should be more dinosaurs. Especially species more derivative than raptors. I love raptors, but there are so many other cool species out there and for some reason everyone seems to default to them.

EDIT: Oh and one word of warning if you DO make an anthro T-Rex. Unless it leans heavily on the feral side you will be called a raptor. All day, every day. :|

Last edited:
Personally, I couldn't give less of a fuck. If I ever made a t-rex chick...I mean anthro, I'd make them a more "manageable" size. Besides, I don't need macro fetishists tailing me. >.>

"Anthrosaurus" is now the only furfag pun that I will tolerate.

Anthrosaurus Sex.

Last edited:
S

Sar

OR do whatever the hell you want. Anthros don't need to be accurate to their sizes of the animal they are based on. For better example, here is a T-Rex holding a rifle.

Schwimmwagen

Considering the recent discoveries about dinosaurs, they become less and less interesting to me when artists draw them in the "realistic" way, even though the facts themselves are interesting as hell.

I like my exaggeration and artistic license when it comes to what's being used as a movie monster. Something that's played about with a little is infinitely more interesting visually if you ask me.

I loved the exaggerated Jurassic Park T-Rex and Velociraptors, and the Disney Carnotaurus.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
The avian-style dinosaurs that paleo artists are drawing right now are, as always, very conservative drawings. Which means dull colours and vague masses and textures where there is little evidence. [and at the moment t rex is presumed to have been feathered in some way but nobody knows how, which is why feathered t rex concepts tend towards being amorphous blobs with scraps of feather texture]

However when the evidence emerges to start putting in colours and patterns, as with these dinosaurs, things begin to get more interesting again:

I guess the fiction will always be more enthralling though; vikings look better with horns after all.

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
The avian-style dinosaurs that paleo artists are drawing right now are, as always, very conservative drawings. Which means dull colours and vague masses and textures where there is little evidence. [and at the moment t rex is presumed to have been feathered in some way but nobody knows how, which is why feathered t rex concepts tend towards being amorphous blobs with scraps of feather texture]

However when the evidence emerges to start putting in colours and patterns, as with these dinosaurs, things begin to get more interesting again:

I guess the fiction will always be more enthralling though; vikings look better with horns after all.
That picture should be a meme. Why isn't it a meme.
'Ohai! How are you!' 'Ohai! Good, and you?'

On a more serious and non internet culture related note... How would an anthro T-Rex's arms look?

Schwimmwagen

On a more serious and non internet culture related note... How would an anthro T-Rex's arms look?

My guess is that it really depends on what kind of anthropomorphism it is you're shooting for.

But I think that "normal" sized arms are acceptable as long as the legs, tail, and head look as Rex-y as possible.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
I don't know, make the arms kind of skinning compared to those beefy legs?

Or just keep him like the example shown earlier holding a machine gun?

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.