• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

anti-trolling comebacks

Meliz

gets it stuck between things
gruz said:
i don't know.....troll hunting can be great fun, i know it's not nice to laugh at them but to be honest who doesn't lol at trolls especially the really dumb ones

that sounds like something a troll would say...

*gathers angry mob*

Woofi

PogoRoo said:
Half of the furries saying that they laugh when they get trolled -- are full of it. BULL.

I'm going to have to say I reaffirm that statement.

Not from experience, of course. No. Not at all. <.<

psion

PogoRoo said:
sgolem said:
Rilvor said:
Best anti-troll comeback in existence:
What is it? What is it?

It means, say absolutely nothing.

Keep mind this is a left-moderate talking when I say that I look at trolling the same way that I look at school bullying. Ignoring them is (to quote a video game of all things) "magical thinking" at it's worst. Of course, if I said "toughen up" I'd be only asking to kick my own ass since I believe that's as effective as ignoring them (ie: not very.)
From the few I talked to or have had experience with, a few things motivate a troll, boredom, blind hate, or a sense of inferiority. Unfortunately, beyond my observations, I cannot offer much except to THINK. Use your head, think clearly, and THEN give as good as you get.

psion

Grimfang said:
I think the only way to learn these things is through demonstration. Allow me to show you the proper response. I will be the guinea pig.

TROLL ME NAO!

And I think their proper reply is, /b/ is not your personal army.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
psion said:
PogoRoo said:
sgolem said:
Rilvor said:
What is it? What is it?

Keep mind this is a left-moderate talking when I say that I look at trolling the same way that I look at school bullying.
Your logic fails here, everything else is irrelevant. ITS THE GOD DAMN INTERNET, IT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY THE SAME AS SCHOOL BULLYING.

Trust me when I tell you that absolutely no response is the only effective one. A bored troll is one that can't enjoy its lulz sandwich.

T

Tycho

Before I got desensitized to trolling, I was one of those "butthurt ragers". Nowadays, my usual response to an IRC troll is "...and?"

Grimfang

psion said:
Keep mind this is a left-moderate talking when I say that I look at trolling the same way that I look at school bullying.

School bullying is probably different in that there's a physical aspect to the interaction. The kid getting picked on has to fear a possible ass-beating, as well as verbal harassment. And all in front of people you know irl.

At this point, I don't see why trolling isn't at least mildly amusing to the person being trolled..

psion said:
a few things motivate a troll, boredom, blind hate, or a sense of inferiority. Unfortunately, beyond my observations, I cannot offer much except to THINK. Use your head, think clearly, and THEN give as good as you get.

I always thought it was for teh lulz

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Tycho The Itinerant said:
Barring moderator intervention, that's probably not going to happen expeditiously. Best thing to do is to deny them what they came to your chat/forum for: entertainment. Turn the tables on them and amuse yourself at their expense, and it's even better.

What about they come into the chat room and everyone in there is silent, wait for the troll to get bored and then leave since he entered a bunch of bots? ;p

EDIT: Internet bullying is different. If you're in a chatroom or something, you can just have the chatroom manager go "Boom, headshot" and ban the troll. With a school bully, you HAVE to deal with them.

psion

Rilvor said:
psion said:
PogoRoo said:
sgolem said:
Rilvor said:
What is it? What is it?

Your logic fails here, everything else is irrelevant. ITS THE GOD DAMN INTERNET, IT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY THE SAME AS SCHOOL BULLYING.

Trust me when I tell you that absolutely no response is the only effective one. A bored troll is one that can't enjoy its lulz sandwich.

Amazing how often the topic of cyber-bullying appeared when I was doing research for a paper on school bullying. So I guess that means someone out there disagrees with you. Most likely someone with a more convincing counter-arguement then "Dur! It's teh Internetz!" :roll:
And again, the one stop solution fails. Okay, it does not work for everyone or every situation. Trolls come in many wonderful kinds like any other unpleasent spawn of humanity. If there is ONE singular solution, it is convincing the local moderator that kicking the offender is a good idea. And even that is unreliable.
Trolls are problems, and just like any other they need to be solved. How you deal with them is up to you and you alone.

Grimfang said:
psion said:

School bullying is probably different in that there's a physical aspect to the interaction. The kid getting picked on has to fear a possible ass-beating, as well as verbal harassment. And all in front of people you know irl.

At this point, I don't see why trolling isn't at least mildly amusing to the person being trolled..
Eh, now we're getting into a grey area involving psychology. The fear of getting stomped can be more powerful then the actual stomping itself or something along those lines.

Grimfang said:
psion said:
a few things motivate a troll, boredom, blind hate, or a sense of inferiority. Unfortunately, beyond my observations, I cannot offer much except to THINK. Use your head, think clearly, and THEN give as good as you get.

I always thought it was for teh lulz
Lulz... Eh, forget, I was trying to humanize them and apparently it wasn't working. ;) Those ramblings are the things I gathered from the so called "old-school" trolls that occasionally get up on a soap box and offer some kind of motive for why they troll. I admit many are just stupid... which is half the fun of trying to screw with them.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
psion said:
Rilvor said:
psion said:
PogoRoo said:
sgolem said:
Rilvor said:
What is it? What is it?

Amazing how often the topic of cyber-bullying appeared when I was doing research for a paper on school bullying. So I guess that means someone out there disagrees with you. Most likely someone with a more convincing counter-arguement then "Dur! It's teh Internetz!" :roll:
And again, the one stop solution fails. Okay, it does not work for everyone or every situation. Trolls come in many wonderful kinds like any other unpleasent spawn of humanity. If there is ONE singular solution, it is convincing the local moderator that kicking the offender is a good idea. And even that is unreliable.
Trolls are problems, and just like any other they need to be solved. How you deal with them is up to you and you alone.

Cyber bullying is bullshit, it's nothing more than some kid getting called names on the internet and overreacting about it. Develop a sense of reality.

Also; LOL lots of people think this so it MUST be right!

Kimmerset

Banned
Banned
But- but the media says we should be aware about internet bullying!!! :(

psion

Rilvor said:

No, but lots of people with degrees in psychology studying it means there must be something to it. Which is more then I can say for your counter-arguements so far. You are the weakest link, good bye.

Grimfang said:
I'd say cyber-bullying is more like this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21844203/ (Myspace hoax suicide thingy)

Thanks for the link.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
psion said:
Rilvor said:

No, but lots of people with degrees in psychology studying it means there must be something to it. Which is more then I can say for your counter-arguements so far. You are the weakest link, good bye.

Whatever you say chief. Enjoy your trollan.

There are plenty of people who deal with actual real life harassment by ignoring, anyone who can't do the same for the god damn internet deserves whatever fate awaits them.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Buy a dog, lulz.

Kimmerset

Banned
Banned
psion said:

I have a strong disliking for these studies that are performed by trained professionals. In case you haven't noticed, this is turning into a world where we must all cater to the weak-willed, the "oppressed," and those who just feel the need to bitch about anything.

In this world of increasing paranoia, psychologists are there to fill the gap (and their wallets) between reality and senseless worry. There's a treatment for everything nowadays.

Ritalin prescribed by the boat-loads to kids with "ADD" (see: no discipline), psychiatry sessions being handed out to every kid that so much as thinks/sees something deemed as inappropriate. I do hope you see the growing trend here.

I have nothing against (honest) psychiatrists. I have everything against these studies and accusations on everyday situations. It's become a huge issue and a cash cow for the professionals.

And that MySpace article is fucked up.

Whirlaxis

DONT FEED THE TROLL

best comeback ever (i mean the act, dont actually say it to them)

Kirbizard

Kamikaze Kirby
Whirlaxis said:
DONT FEED THE TROLL

best comeback ever (i mean the act, dont actually say it to them)

Well, if you do feed them, make sure it's Marmite.

They'll either love it so much that they'll stop being jerks and leave. Or hate it so much that they choke to death on the spot. <(^-^)>

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I feed the trolls cause I like laughing at them=O