• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any book recommendations?

Narri

Will fly you around for hugs and pats
I typically stick to fantasy stories but I'm looking to just start to read whatever is recommended to me. I want to try something new, and I'm getting bored of only reading fantasy.

Are there any books that you like and can recommend to anyone? What are some books that you think everyone should read?

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
My favorite book of all time is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel, which currently I'm reading for the seventh time. As it's pretty big, though, I don't often recommend it.

The book I always tell people to read is Tuf Voyaging by George Martin. It's space ships, cats, and satire. Definitely in my top 10.

Obviously the Hitchhiker's Guide series, too.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson.

It's about this drug addicted journalist and his attorney going to Las Vegas to cover the Indie 500, a motercycle race in the desert, and they get caught up in a bunch of other stuff while there.

I love what the story is about and it really has almost its own feeling and tone to it, and even if you aren't huge on what happens in the story, the writing style alone makes up for it. It's just so interestingly written, it's great. (the movie adaptation is also just as good as the book, watch that too)

Excellent book. Read it back in high school, and again in college. The Bill Murray movie Where The Buffalo Roam is also loosely based on it and worth a watch as well I might add.

I'd recommend anything by H.P. Lovecraft if you're into horror, and recommend starting out with The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
The Wheel of Time and Lovecraft are two big favorites of mine too.

Anything by Philip K. Dick too, I strongly recommend :)

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
I may as well plug my book; technically sci-fi. Amazon
or this Barnes & Noble

The Accidental Ambassador, by D A Barr. Give it a try.

I'm pushing for release of book two this summer.

Edit: as for myself, I'm currently reading Origin, by Dan Brown

I

Isabella_

The Republiс by Plato. And Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It will
broaden your horizons! ^-^

Last edited by a moderator:

Joni

I'm a hot dog
Probably not something for you, but that's the only thing I have in mind x3

D

Domjoe414

Soulminder by Timothy Zahn is a really interesting Sci Fi, as are most of his books. also Brandon Sanderson's fantasy stuff and the aformentioned Lovecraft

milimigu

Literally anything by Tamora Pierce! She's a fantastic author and has really great books. I would recommend starting either with Alanna: The First Adventure, or with Sandry's Book. Both are the first of a quartet.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'm rereading the Iliad by Homer, which still holds up, but I'd also recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

That book just gets more relevant, I swear.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
If it still actual, take a look at Arthur Hailey's books. Airport, The Final Diagnosis, Hotel. And so on. In controverse, his books is full of technical details.
He put a lot of work into the research for those books, which I like. Good call.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson.

It's about this drug addicted journalist and his attorney going to Las Vegas to cover the Indie 500, a motercycle race in the desert, and they get caught up in a bunch of other stuff while there.

I love what the story is about and it really has almost its own feeling and tone to it, and even if you aren't huge on what happens in the story, the writing style alone makes up for it. It's just so interestingly written, it's great. (the movie adaptation is also just as good as the book, watch that too)

Hunter Thompson's boyhood home is like three blocks from my favorite coffee shop in Louisville, Kentucky.

Not getting into fiction or semi-fiction (like a lot of Thompson) I loved the book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson. It seriously helped me stop caring about shit, in a good way, and get my life on track with what I could change.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
Excellent book. Read it back in high school, and again in college. The Bill Murray movie Where The Buffalo Roam is also loosely based on it and worth a watch as well I might add.

I'd recommend anything by H.P. Lovecraft if you're into horror, and recommend starting out with The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Lovecraft was a racist who supported Adolph Hitler and who barely wrote the sketch of a story. Even other people of his rather racist era would consider him a pretty extreme racist. His contribution to horror can't be ignored, but need to be placed into context with his values and skills. Later authors in the Cthulhu Mythos could be argued as better influences in the modern age. (And I fully support changing the statute for the World Fantasy Award to a figure of Octavia Butler.)

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
For fantasy, I would recommend the Candian-Dutch author Charles de Lint and specifically his Newford series and laser focus on his short stories before his novels. His later novels - especially The Onion Girl and Widdershins - are some of the ugliest, most heartbreaking stories I've ever read about child sex abuse and the helplessness of PTSD - but they're also some of the best books I've ever read. Don't read them, read his short story collections like Dreams Underfoot, Ivory and Horn, Moonlight and Vines and Tapping The Dream Tree before looking at his novels. I lived a Norman Rockwell childhood and Widdershins triggered me about child sex abuse.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
My Fathers Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

30 Covert Manipulation Tactics by Adelyn Birch

Space Opera by Vicente

Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend

I have discovered a new and very good horror writer, Elias Witherow. Amazing stuff. Positively obsessed with his Third Parent book, and Black Farm series. Cannot recommend him enough.