• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any Christian Furs out there?

Scylo

New otter washed ashore
Christian belief is filled with holes. Example: we were made in gods image
Question to “god”? So you’re Hitler too?

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness

Well, I suppose I can see your side of things, fren. But, would it help if I offered you my view on Christianity? I may be able to fill the gaps of understanding between us, fren.

jffry890

Hard to say. Definitely hold Christian values and would consider myself a non-practicing Christian. Protestant more specifically. Had a profound religious experience a few years ago that made me more aware and interested in religious philosophy. On mobile right now so I don't want to type it all out, but it was a result of listening to music while I sleep and a song about God's love and forgiveness to the wicked made my dream go crazy and I woke up crying. Can type it up when I get to a computer if you want.

Last edited:

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
Hard to say. Definitely hold Christian values and would consider myself a non-practicing Christian. Protestant more specifically. Had a profound religious experience a few years ago that made me more aware and interested in religious philosophy. On mobile right now so I don't want to type it all out, but it was a result of listening to music while I sleep and a song about God's love and forgiveness to the wicked made my dream go crazy and I woke up crying.

That’s an awesome story, fren! Have you been seeking out a church? Or at least a type of Christianity you would be interested in, fren? There are many methods of practice among Protestants. I’d love to know! Though, I’d understand if you don’t want to share, fren.

C

CrookedCroc

Thought you guys might fin this interesting

In the Catholic church we have a saint called San Francisco De Asís but he's better known as the saint and protector of pets, animals, nature and ecology.
During his day some catholic churches (at least in my country) allow you to take your pet to church and have a priest bless it.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
Thought you guys might fin this interesting

In the Catholic church we have a saint called San Francisco De Asís but he's better known as the saint and protector of pets, animals, nature and ecology.
During his day some catholic churches (at least in my country) allow you to take your pet to church and have a priest bless it.

Haha, that’s awesome, @CrookedCroc ! I know the saint you’re referring to, that’s great that you can bring your pets on a day dedicated to him!

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
Ummmmm it doesn't mean he looks exactly like every person.. it means our body is made to look like him. So we aren't human while he's a dog. He looks human, we look human... maybe study before trying to say that it's filled with holes. ;)

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Right, so-
God is an ever present being. Human beings have free will, ergo, they have the freedom to do bad things too.

However, I get the feeling that you aren't here with earnest questions and you're just here to inflame. If you have a relationship with God, God is not intimidated by your questions. I came from a background that requires us to always question God, search the scriptures, and ask earnest, hard hitting questions. Like, the role of suffering, malignantly, social ills like racism, sexism, and serious stuff like battling depression.

So my question for you is, are you feeling like Hitler, or...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Ummmmm it doesn't mean he looks exactly like every person.. it means our body is made to look like him. So we aren't human while he's a dog. He looks human, we look human... maybe study before trying to say that it's filled with holes. ;)

When I was a Christian I always thought 'made in his image' was metaphorical.

I never imagined that god had any need of arms or legs- I thought the image being spoken of was to be sentient, alive, a being of knowledge etc.

Since then I've come across people with very specific opinions about what hairstyle god has, what clothes he wears, what his skin colour is, and have always found it bizarre- since I never imagined God having a physical form at all.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix

I never imagined that god had any need of arms or legs- I thought the image being spoken of was to be sentient, alive, a being of knowledge etc.

Since then I've come across people with very specific opinions about what hairstyle god has, what clothes he wears, what his skin colour is, and have always found it bizarre- since I never imagined God having a physical form at all.
Well, it is known at least in my religion they do. Here's a great example. The First Vision

Smith said that when he was about twelve (c. 1817–18), he became interested in religion and distressed about his sins.[4] He studied the Bible and attended church, but the accounts differ as to whether he determined on his own that there was no existing religion built upon the true teachings of Jesus[5] or whether the idea that all churches were false had not "entered his heart" until he experienced the vision.[6] During this period of religious concern, he determined to turn to God in prayer. An early account says the purpose of this prayer was to ask God for mercy for his sins[5] while later accounts emphasize his desire to know which church he should join.[7] Therefore, as his mother had done years before when concerned about an important religious question,[8] Smith said he went one spring morning to a secluded grove near his home to pray.[9] He said he went to a stump in a clearing where he had left his axe the day before[10] and began to offer his first audible prayer.[11]

He said his prayer was interrupted by a "being from the unseen world."[12] Smith said the being caused his tongue to swell in his mouth so that he could not speak.[13] One account said he heard a noise behind him like someone walking towards him and then,[14]when he tried to pray again, the noise grew louder, causing him to spring to his feet and look around, but he saw no one.[14] In some of the accounts, he described being covered with a thick darkness and thinking that he would be destroyed.[15] At his darkest moment, he knelt a third time to pray[14] and, as he summoned all his power to pray, he felt ready to sink into oblivion.[15] At that moment, he said his tongue was loosed and he saw a vision.[16]

Smith said he saw a pillar of light brighter than the noonday sun that slowly descended on him,[17] growing in brightness as it descended and lighting the entire area for some distance.[18] As the light reached the tree tops, Smith feared the trees might catch fire.[19] But when it reached the ground and enveloped him, it produced a "peculiar sensation."[20] "[H]is mind was caught away from the natural objects with which he was surrounded; and he was enwrapped in a heavenly vision."[21]

While experiencing the vision, he said he saw one or more "personages", described differently in Smith's accounts. In one, Smith said he "saw the Lord."[22] In diary entries, he said he saw a "visitation of Angels"[23] or a "vision of angels" that included "a personage," and then "another personage" who testified that "Jesus Christ is the Son of God," as well as "many angels".[24] In later accounts, Smith consistently said that he had seen two personages who appeared one after the other.[25] These personages "exactly resembled each other in their features or likeness."[26] The first personage had "light complexion, blue eyes, a piece of white cloth drawn over his shoulders, his right arm bare."[27] In later accounts, one of the personages called Smith by name "and said, (pointing to the other), 'This is my beloved Son, hear him.'"[15] Although Smith left their identity inexplicit, most Latter Day Saints infer that these personages were God the Fatherand Jesus.[28]

In two accounts, Smith said that the Lord told him his sins were forgiven, that he should obey the commandments, that the world was corrupt, and that the Second Coming was approaching.[29] Later accounts say that when the personages appeared, Smith asked them "O Lord, what church shall I join?"[10] or "Must I join the Methodist Church?"[27] In answer, he was told that "all religious denominations were believing in incorrect doctrines, and that none of them was acknowledged of God as his church and kingdom."[30] All churches and their professors were "corrupt",[31] and "all their creeds were an abomination in his sight."[15] Smith was told not to join any of the churches, but that the "fulness of the gospel" would be made known to him at a later time.[32] After the vision withdrew, Smith said he "came to myself" and found himself sprawled on his back.[31]

And jesus himself has a body of flesh and blood, explained by the crucifixion. He had to experience mortality to save us all, the one without a body is the holy ghost. As he dwells in us.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Well, it is known at least in my religion they do. Here's a great example. The First Vision

Smith said that when he was about twelve (c. 1817–18), he became interested in religion and distressed about his sins.[4] He studied the Bible and attended church, but the accounts differ as to whether he determined on his own that there was no existing religion built upon the true teachings of Jesus[5] or whether the idea that all churches were false had not "entered his heart" until he experienced the vision.[6] During this period of religious concern, he determined to turn to God in prayer. An early account says the purpose of this prayer was to ask God for mercy for his sins[5] while later accounts emphasize his desire to know which church he should join.[7] Therefore, as his mother had done years before when concerned about an important religious question,[8] Smith said he went one spring morning to a secluded grove near his home to pray.[9] He said he went to a stump in a clearing where he had left his axe the day before[10] and began to offer his first audible prayer.[11]

He said his prayer was interrupted by a "being from the unseen world."[12] Smith said the being caused his tongue to swell in his mouth so that he could not speak.[13] One account said he heard a noise behind him like someone walking towards him and then,[14]when he tried to pray again, the noise grew louder, causing him to spring to his feet and look around, but he saw no one.[14] In some of the accounts, he described being covered with a thick darkness and thinking that he would be destroyed.[15] At his darkest moment, he knelt a third time to pray[14] and, as he summoned all his power to pray, he felt ready to sink into oblivion.[15] At that moment, he said his tongue was loosed and he saw a vision.[16]

Smith said he saw a pillar of light brighter than the noonday sun that slowly descended on him,[17] growing in brightness as it descended and lighting the entire area for some distance.[18] As the light reached the tree tops, Smith feared the trees might catch fire.[19] But when it reached the ground and enveloped him, it produced a "peculiar sensation."[20] "[H]is mind was caught away from the natural objects with which he was surrounded; and he was enwrapped in a heavenly vision."[21]

While experiencing the vision, he said he saw one or more "personages", described differently in Smith's accounts. In one, Smith said he "saw the Lord."[22] In diary entries, he said he saw a "visitation of Angels"[23] or a "vision of angels" that included "a personage," and then "another personage" who testified that "Jesus Christ is the Son of God," as well as "many angels".[24] In later accounts, Smith consistently said that he had seen two personages who appeared one after the other.[25] These personages "exactly resembled each other in their features or likeness."[26] The first personage had "light complexion, blue eyes, a piece of white cloth drawn over his shoulders, his right arm bare."[27] In later accounts, one of the personages called Smith by name "and said, (pointing to the other), 'This is my beloved Son, hear him.'"[15] Although Smith left their identity inexplicit, most Latter Day Saints infer that these personages were God the Fatherand Jesus.[28]

In two accounts, Smith said that the Lord told him his sins were forgiven, that he should obey the commandments, that the world was corrupt, and that the Second Coming was approaching.[29] Later accounts say that when the personages appeared, Smith asked them "O Lord, what church shall I join?"[10] or "Must I join the Methodist Church?"[27] In answer, he was told that "all religious denominations were believing in incorrect doctrines, and that none of them was acknowledged of God as his church and kingdom."[30] All churches and their professors were "corrupt",[31] and "all their creeds were an abomination in his sight."[15] Smith was told not to join any of the churches, but that the "fulness of the gospel" would be made known to him at a later time.[32] After the vision withdrew, Smith said he "came to myself" and found himself sprawled on his back.[31]

I think that religious claims that god is a blue eyed white man are unfortunate, because it implies that certain humans more resemble the divine ideal than other humans do.
I believe this has had some unfortunate historical (and I am sure ongoing) convolution with racism in Mormonism; Brigham Young claimed that black skin was the result of a curse, for example, and this lead to religious justifications for slavery or denying black people roles in church leadership.

Perhaps I can suggest that god has no objective form; if he appeared to Joseph Smith and happened to appear with light complexion, this is just God inhabiting an avatar- a vessel- and not an objective reflection of his godliness- he might just as well have appeared as a man with green eyes, or a woman with dark skin, or a child.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
I think that religious claims that god is a blue eyed white man are unfortunate, because it implies that certain humans more resemble the divine ideal than other humans do.
I believe this has had some unfortunate historical (and I am sure ongoing) convolution with racism in Mormonism; Brigham Young claimed that black skin was the result of a curse, for example, and this lead to religious justifications for slavery or denying black people roles in church leadership.

Perhaps I can suggest that god has no objective form; if he appeared to Joseph Smith and happened to appear with light complexion, this is just God inhabiting an avatar- a vessel- and not an objective reflection of his godliness- he might just as well have appeared as a man with green eyes, or a woman with dark skin, or a child.
Ah well there is no way for anyome to know for sure really. But what does it all really matter? What if our spirits look different than our physical bodies because our physical bodies are represented by worldy laws? They change and adapt to environment. So perhaps blacks weren't originally black and changed over years? Who knows? But whatever he looks like, does it really change the fact that he's our savior and he loves us infinitely? There are mixed racial families on earth, so why would it matter that someone was a different skin color in heaven? We need to stop focusing on the worldly aspects and look at things with an eternal perspective.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

The claim that "God" is human at all is extremely arrogant.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
The claim that "God" is human at all is extremely arrogant.
Explain what you mean by "arrogant" though. The only reason people say it is through scripture. Such as "
The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also, D&C 130:22.

God created male and female in the image of his own body, Moses 6:9 (Gen. 9:6)."

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Explain what you mean by "arrogant" though.
Anthropocentric, selfish, entitled....take your pick. The idea that one species is practically divine compared to all others, and thus entitled to rule over them as it sees fit, is the cause of so much cruelty and destruction, and a key element on what drove me from Christianity.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
Anthropocentric, selfish, entitled....take your pick. The idea that one species is practically divine compared to all others, and thus entitled to rule over them as it sees fit, is the cause of so much cruelty and destruction, and a key element on what drove me from Christianity.
Well that itself is untrue. If that's what you believe then the reason you left was false doctrine and thoughts rather than christianity in its truth. Animals join us in heaven. Your dead dog? Yeah he will be up there for you to see again.

And you again are focusing on the world and not the eternal perspective. That's what's wrong ~ if god did something or asks something of us why do we have to question it? He knows more than we do.

Fallowfox

Ah well there is no way for anyome to know for sure really. But what does it all really matter? What if our spirits look different than our physical bodies because our physical bodies are represented by worldy laws? They change and adapt to environment. So perhaps blacks weren't originally black and changed over years? Who knows? But whatever he looks like, does it really change the fact that he's our savior and he loves us infinitely? There are mixed racial families on earth, so why would it matter that someone was a different skin color in heaven? We need to stop focusing on the worldly aspects and look at things with an eternal perspective.

I agree that the appearance of God is unknowable, and irrelevant to the roll that belief in God should serve for people.

To the question 'were black people originally black'? Scientists have actually answered that one, so it is knowable.
I'll put a description in the spoiler:

All humans are descended from dark skinned ancestors who came from Africa. Some humans who moved into environments with much less sunshine lost the ability to make the necessary pigments to give them dark skin. Africans have retained these adaptations though, because they're so useful if you live there.

Modern humans arrived in Europe about 40,000 years ago. The loss of dark-skin in European populations began occurring 19,000 years ago to 11,000 years ago, and skin colour in europe was diverse at this time- skeletons of a group known as 'Western Hunter Gatherers' have genes that show they probably had dark skin and blue eyes, for example. It's possible that those of us with blue eyes inherited them from this group of people. :]

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
I agree that the appearance of God is unknowable, and irrelevant to the roll that belief in God should serve for people.

To the question 'were black people originally black'? Scientists have actually answered that one, so it is knowable.
I'll put a description in the spoiler:

All humans are descended from dark skinned ancestors who came from Africa. Some humans who moved into environments with much less sunshine lost the ability to make the necessary pigments to give them dark skin. Africans have retained these adaptations though, because they're so useful if you live there.

Modern humans arrived in Europe about 40,000 years ago. The loss of dark-skin in European populations began occurring 19,000 years ago to 11,000 years ago, and skin colour in europe was diverse at this time- skeletons of a group known as 'Western Hunter Gatherers' have genes that show they probably had dark skin and blue eyes, for example. It's possible that those of us with blue eyes inherited them from this group of people. :]
Mhm. And we could never knkw for sure. Science has been wrong when they've believed they were right before~ regardless, race has no meaning. We are all human, and we should celebrate that, god doesn't discriminate, so why should we?

jffry890

Have you been seeking out a church? Or at least a type of Christianity you would be interested in, fren?

I went to a Protestant church in high school and during boot camp, but not since. I think any generic Protestant church would be fine, but I'd have to attend for a bit to see for sure. Not a fan of Catholicism because of the Church, the Pope, and their politics, hence why I choose Protestant. I don't think Lutheran would be my cup of tea judging by the people I knew that were Lutheran but I'd have to attend for a bit.

All in all, I have my own view of the world that mostly fits into the Protestant umbrella.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
I went to a Protestant church in high school and during boot camp, but not since. I think any generic Protestant church would be fine, but I'd have to attend for a bit to see for sure. Not a fan of Catholicism because of the Church, the Pope, and their politics, hence why I choose Protestant. I don't think Lutheran would be my cup of tea judging by the people I knew that were Lutheran but I'd have to attend for a bit.

All in all, I have my own view of the world that mostly fits into the Protestant umbrella.

Well, I’m also a Protestant! An Evangelical, if we’re being specific. I’m glad that seems to be what you’re interested in, fren. I wish you luck!

I

Infrarednexus

As a kid I was told that God doesn't have a skin color. He is the color of water. My Sunday school wanted all the kids attending to know that they were of equal value to God and Jesus that physical appearance is irrelevant.