• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any engineering furs?

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
BSEE, although it was from back in the last century. Also an AA in Business Management. Vacuum tube theory, some transistor theory, some AND/OR/NAND/NOR gate theory, we weren't even talking about LSIC's at that point other than to acknowledge they exist. Worked on F4-C/D Phantom II search and attack radar so we used high power on our magnetron xmit circuit. Power supply could do +300VDC and it was biased by -350VDC.

As an aside, I love to tinker with building and repairing tube guitar amplifiers.

D

Deleted member 82554

I wouldn't say I'm an engineer per se, at least not in the qualified sense, but I can do many things your average person can't. Like, for example: I can build a turbine out of a smartdrive motor and hook it up to an electrical grid.

Actually one thing I've been looking into is how to create free energy, and I don't mean by conventional methods. Still working on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

x_eleven

As an aside, I love to tinker with building and repairing tube guitar amplifiers.

Haven't done anything with guitar amps, as I'm not a guitarist. I design and build hollow state music reproduction amps, and have many contributions at DiY Audio. I have some solid state designs that also sound really good. Much better than most production amps.

There is no reason SS needs to sound as bad as it does, it takes just a bit more work to make it sound good. If you're going to use power MOSFETs, you do not use the complimentary or Q-complimentary design originated for BJTs. PNP/NPN complimentary pairs are a good deal more complimentary than N-Channel/P-Channel "complimentaries". Still, no OPT is cheaper than the cheapest OPT. Cue Marketing to convince the PaL that the "MOSFET sound" (Translation: lots of distortion) is the next kewel thing. It isn't: it SUX. At EE school, they're not teaching a damn thing about audio. Is it any wonder why a run-of-the-mill, 1950s, hollow state amp is considered audiophile quality and sells for more now (in inflation adjusted dollars) than it did then?

You can blame the gubmint for this. The drive for electric cars has put the emphasis on high current switching devices that are useless as audio amps. IGBTs combine all the worst features of BJTs and MOSFETs in one device that simply can't be made to sound good. As for good SS devices... VFETs are as rare as Western Electric 300Bs and just as expensive. Lateral MOSFETs are still around, but are made by a few boutique manufacturers with small production runs. The demand for good quality audio transistors has been completely shut down.