• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any gearheads out there?

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
I know we have an auto appreciation thread but any of other furs know the joys of skinning your knuckles against an engine block, and actually enjoy it?

I mean I enjoy wrenching anything old with a motor. I'd consider myself to be a hotrodder and part of the vintage iron scene.

So fellow furs? Any of you got any projects you're busting your knuckles on and having that classic love hate relationship with?
10999013_912036942180421_8480128724215092826_o.jpg

Here's my glorious bastard a 1958 vw bug that was hotrodded during the 1980's.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Ah, this must be another part of that whole masculinity thing I don't get.

A car is a car. If it works and I can use it, cool, that's all I need. Don't really care about the rest.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ

A car is a car. If it works and I can use it, cool, that's all I need. Don't really care about the rest.
This has to be the most useless comment I've ever read.

B

backpawscratcher

Used to tinker with my motorbikes when I had them. Was always scared that I would seriously break something though :) These days have neither vehicle nor outdoor space, but I’m posting in this thread to follow it as stuff like this is great. Stripping things down, seeing how they work, then putting them back together even better. How could you not like that?

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Used to tinker with my motorbikes when I had them. Was always scared that I would seriously break something though :) These days have neither vehicle nor outdoor space, but I’m posting in this thread to follow it as stuff like this is great. Stripping things down, seeing how they work, then putting them back together even better. How could you not like that?
It's something that is sadly rare these days.

I've done a complete engine rebuild and swap on the 1958 bug. I've also replaced entire front ends and everything.

I've done an engine swap with a v8 ford 302. That required swaping parts replacing the ECM and fuel injectors.

The car runs great except for an unwelded up exhaust and a squeaky belt.

My friends are in awe of what I can do. I don't know how to judge what I can do.

F

FluffyShutterbug

As for me, I've been more of a fact monster. For the most part, I'm a car enthusiast in the academic sense. I've never worked on an engine before and only have a basic grasp on parts and stuff. I have been learning more, tho. :p

Old Fashioned

Sometimes Active Member
I like taking apart beat up old sewing machines and getting them all cleaned up and oiled, so they can be useful again. :D I suppose I also rebuilt an engine once, that was . . . something.

I rebuilt the motor in a 1986 (I think) Mitsubishi starion in auto-tech. My dad thought it would be a good idea for my first ever rebuild to be a modded basket case. Let's just say it took all of my junior and senior years, still needs a slave cylinder and rear strut. It did run, though there is something wrong with the throttle body. I unaffectionately call it Tojo, which might be a bit racy, but it felt like a war!

P_Dragon

You've probably seen my posts in the Auto Appreciation thread, but I'll post here anyways. The answer for me is very much yes. Too much actually... I've got too many vehicles, none of which are worth more than their weight in scrap, but I've put hours upon hours upon hours and too many thousands of dollars into them over the years. Last year's major project was a TON of work on my pickup truck, this year's that I'm currently in the middle of is a TON of work on one of my Supras. In between those was my Christmas present to myself in the form of my third Supra that I bought not running but now daily these days...yeah I have a problem lol

P_Dragon

So many things to reply to now that I'm at a computer, so this might get long. Apologies.

Yeah, no. You are indeed a cassette and, unfortunately, you just don't get it. Being a gearhead/petrol head/car enthusiast/whatever has nothing at all to do with one's masculinity. It is a hobby for us. Just like being a furry is a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I get it; to most people, cars are just appliances for them to use to get from A to B (which is where you obviously fall on the opinion spectrum), but to those of us who are enthusiasts, they're more than that, sometimes significantly so. Is it is a predominantly male hobby? Yes and the reasons for that require delving into general cultural issues that I don't care to dissect, but that you clearly buy into with your thinking that being a car enthusiast is a strictly masculine preoccupation. That's the same kind of bullshit you get from people who say, "Cars aren't for girls", which is just fucking wrong. /rant

As for me, I've been more of a fact monster. For the most part, I'm a car enthusiast in the academic sense. I've never worked on an engine before and only have a basic grasp on parts and stuff. I have been learning more, tho. :p
+1 for fact monster. I like that lol

I like taking apart beat up old sewing machines and getting them all cleaned up and oiled, so they can be useful again. :D I suppose I also rebuilt an engine once, that was . . . something.
Awesome! I <3 Starquests, though I admittedly don't know much about them because they're stupid rare these days and I've devoted my life to Teeyotas of the same age :D IIRC, those are all throttle body injection, which is weird and finicky. Good luck lol

I'am an aspiring female gearhead I love reading magizines about motorcycles and cars because I want have my own custom all female repair shop.
Also awesome! I listened to a great interview on Fresh Air not too long ago with a woman who has started her own shop. It might be worth a listen to/read for you

Old Fashioned

Sometimes Active Member
Awesome! I <3 Starquests, though I admittedly don't know much about them because they're stupid rare these days and I've devoted my life to Teeyotas of the same age :D IIRC, those are all throttle body injection, which is weird and finicky. Good luck lol

Are you in need of one, maybe two? :p Yep, finicky is the right word. It was either dumping fuel, or working as intended, so a real joy to work with. : / We also have a few old Toyotas, though probably the MR2 is the only one from the 80s, but it has it's own issues.

P_Dragon

Are you in need of one, maybe two? :p Yep, finicky is the right word. It was either dumping fuel, or working as intended, so a real joy to work with. : / We also have a few old Toyotas, though probably the MR2 is the only one from the 80s, but it has it's own issues.
Honestly, I'd LOVE to add a Starquest or several to my collection. I dream of being the Jay Leno of shitboxes (not that I'm calling your cars shitboxes...but my current fleet of them all are :rolleyes:) but I aint got that kinda money or space. Yet. Maybe one day....

Old Fashioned

Sometimes Active Member
Honestly, I'd LOVE to add a Starquest or several to my collection. I dream of being the Jay Leno of shitboxes (not that I'm calling your cars shitboxes...but my current fleet of them all are :rolleyes:) but I aint got that kinda money or space. Yet. Maybe one day....

Haha don't worry, probably even calling them shitboxes would be too kind. What is this about space? All you need to do is go vertical. :p

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
I like seeing how things work, but I'd probably suck at actually repairing things.
Great more things that remind me at how much I suck at everything that I've never tried.