• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any guide/tips for someone wanting to start?

Thellen

Hello everyone! Hope you're all doing well today!

I recently got a drawing tablet, and am in need of some help! I'm trying to draw a friend of mines character from World of Warcraft, she's a Pandaren, however I'm really struggling to get the head shape down despite it being so simple looking to do. I was wondering if anyone who's more familiar with drawing pandas could give me some advice, tips, or even guides I could follow to better get the hang of it. Any additional advice for the paws (hands/feet) is also welcome!

I'm not looking for anything super detailed/realistic at the moment, as most pictures I have planned are more comedic in theme, and aim for the style to follow suit. The best example I could give is; Sheela, and how they draw Pandaren women.

For what it's worth I've never drawn an anthro character before, so this is all new territory for me. But, I'm eager to try my hand at it! I would really like to draw out her character!

Thank you in advance, and have a wonderful day/night!

MissNook

Hello!

I'm doing well, thanks, and hope you're doing well too!
If you could show us where you are at your drawing, it may help to guide you. Meanwhile, I tried to do a tutorial on how to construct and draw a pandoren face, taking one of the drawing from Sheela as a ref.

ddw0r6g-8b3a630e-2a45-4e2f-89ef-285bcbdff927.png

1. Draw a circle and a middle line to choose towards where the face will look. The circle represents the main part of the skull.
  2. Add jaw which extruded from that circle
  3. Draw a line for the eyes, it's a bit curves since the head is more or less a sphere
  4. Add cheeks (I usually add them on both side to help put the features in the right places)
  5. Add a snout shape. It will extrude a bit since it's in volume, that's why it does not follow the middle line of the skull but is slightly towards where it looks towards (so here, on the left)
  6. Add the place where the eyes will be. The eye more to the front will be bigger than one more towards the back. Add nose.
  7. Add eyes and draw where the mouth will be (in there, more or less at the middle of the muzzle in term of height)
  8. Add ears and don't forget that the skull is not really circular, it's a bit elongated towards the back of the head, that's why I added some length there.
  9. Add details. Thick lines for the upper part of the eyes will make it look more feminine. Eyes are spheres so the eyelids will often follow that sphere. Adding lips helps bring out the feminine looks too.
  10. Don't forget that ears, nose and around the eyes are black for pandaren

Olivitree

Local Bizartist
Practice hard at observation skills, drawing from life is a brilliant way to teach your hand to draw what you're looking at or what you want it to, it will also help you understand why things are the shapes they are and grasp three dimensionality of complex shaped objects like heads, hands, etc.
References are your friends! Don't necessarily copy them exactly but if you have a page of pandas open, it'll show you what they look like from various angles so you have something to keep you on track while you're working.
Contrary to what our brains tell us, we don't generally have any idea what something looks like, not well enough to draw it accurately, unless we've built up that image library in our heads of things that we know how to draw.
Same works for a particular style, but its best not to copy one style entirely, but draw ideas from lots of styles to develop your own unique way.

So I'd suggest have real photos of pandas, images of the styles you want to draw inspiration from, and finally a reference of the character you want to draw, maybe make sketches from all those until you know where you're going with it.
Always found this useful: