• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any Help Appreciated

AcerbicSeth

Tetched In The Head
Hello!
I'm trying to redesign the purple bozo, Acerbic, whom you can see in my profile pic.
(...he's not really a bozo)

I'm not too happy with how he is right now...
I'd like him to be more cartoony and have a few more colors.

Before you get all worried, I already have a picture like that drawn up of him, I'm not asking for someone to just draw him from scratch here, I'm looking more for pointers on how to improve it (not the profile pic, a different one).

First off, some background on my artistic abilities (feel free to skip this section if you'd like, it's mostly irrelevant).
Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a pretty damn good artist... when it comes to being a printer.
I'm really good at realism and traditional art, but really bad at designing stuff without photo reference.

I've been practicing, and trying to remedy that fault for about a year now, though not a whole lot of progress has been made.
After a while I can get something 1/2 way decent sometimes, but that's due more to persistence than skill (I pass more than 20 revisions of construction lines sometimes... it'll usually be 3-4 days of tweaking before I have something I'm satisfied with).

I've been using GIMP for awhile now, along with my mouse and keyboard to make everything. Tried out a tablet for awhile (it was a Wacom Intuos Pro) but didn't like it--I'm actually much more accurate with the mouse than I was on that.
The way I draw is I do my construction lines--all scratchy and inaccurate, then I go over them again in a new layer at about 1500% zoom and just form everything out of a bunch of tiny little straight lines... very tedious. Especially when I want any form of line-width variation.

So now that my rambling is finished, I'll get to the point of this thread.
If anyone is up to the task, it'd be great if I could send you the file to take a looksie at, so that I could get another pair of eyes to see if they can figure out where I messed up.

I somewhat forgot to mention, the drawing is done, but something just looks off, and I can't figure out what.
I'm just looking for someone to help point out what that is so I can go ahead and fix it up.
The weird thing is that it looks decent up close--it's from far away things start looking funky.

If not, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually... it'll just take a really long darn time.
Or maybe I'll just restart... :/

MissNook

@AcerbicSeth Hi there!

With what you said, I think you've just reached the limitation of the mouse if you don't work your elbow/wrist accuracy to be able to do accurate lines with big movements. So in my opinion it would be good to work on your line (check this lesson if you're interested: drawabox.com: Lección 1: Líneas, Elipses y Cajas )

You may also want to use the path tool in GIMP. It will allow you to do the outlines with more ease than your previous method. It may not please you, so just give it a try to see if you like it or not :)
And maybe doing your sketches in traditional and scan them after, could help you save some time too?

You can send me the file, I'll help you to the best of my abilities ^^

AcerbicSeth

Tetched In The Head
@AcerbicSeth Hi there!

With what you said, I think you've just reached the limitation of the mouse if you don't work your elbow/wrist accuracy to be able to do accurate lines with big movements. So in my opinion it would be good to work on your line (check this lesson if you're interested: drawabox.com: Lección 1: Líneas, Elipses y Cajas )

You may also want to use the path tool in GIMP. It will allow you to do the outlines with more ease than your previous method. It may not please you, so just give it a try to see if you like it or not :)
And maybe doing your sketches in traditional and scan them after, could help you save some time too?

You can send me the file, I'll help you to the best of my abilities ^^
Hey! Thanks for the reply.
You might be right about the mouse thing, though I like to think I've gotten pretty dern good with it, I've been practicing with it for a year now.
I've already scrapped that drawing and moved on to a new one, and this one seems like it's turning out much better.
I can still send you the file though, might get a good laugh out of it :p

And I do use the path tool every once in a while, mainly for the really long lines.
For some reason, I just usually like the way lines look more without the paths. More organic looking.

MissNook

Hey! Thanks for the reply.
You might be right about the mouse thing, though I like to think I've gotten pretty dern good with it, I've been practicing with it for a year now.
I've already scrapped that drawing and moved on to a new one, and this one seems like it's turning out much better.
I can still send you the file though, might get a good laugh out of it :p

And I do use the path tool every once in a while, mainly for the really long lines.
For some reason, I just usually like the way lines look more without the paths. More organic looking.
You're welcome! You can send me this file or a new one if you need another pair of eyes. I'll be happy to help ^^
I agree for the paths, they are less organic. I've seen some really cool drawings with them though, they can be quite interesting with some styles!