• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Any Other Nonbinary Furs Around Here?

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
To answer OP a bit more, not just rant. I know more people who admit they're ninby than who admit they're furries. You are looking for a needle in a hay stack here - even with the significantly-above-average-LGBT population in this community. What I might recommend is actually searching related terms on FA itself, and finding art of it. I think the pull of this forum is tiny.

Edit: Forgot to finish the thought - this way you can find ninby characters, who may be drawn by openly ninby artists. Best I can do for you.

Last edited:

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Be careful coming out as that. People may get their panties in a twist because REEE TWO GENDERS. I don't have a problem with it though. You do you. I myself am perfectly male.

Certainly no issues here with non-binary, and HERE is actually one of the best places TO "come out" as non-binary, as the odds of acceptance in THIS fandom skyrocket!!! <giggle>

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
What? I just wanted to know if there were some other NB furs out there....

<sigh> You did nothing wrong, and the question was fine! <hugs> Not sure where the "dumpster fire" came from, but I'm not actually seeing any troubles in the posts, misguided advice's and cautions maybe at worst? <shrug>

Oh, as for myself, I'm male but a pretty feminine one overall so not sure if that counts. I'm more of a "feline soul" so if anything, more inner-species fluid more than gender fluid. :)

quoting_mungo

He was implying that some people out there are right royal dickheads who will take offence to things like gender labels and whatnot. So, in other words, he's just letting you know there's people out there who are tosspots.
It is a pity that not everyone is accepting. Really doesn't take much to do that.
We've had our share of those tosspots here in the past. When they crossed the line they got in trouble for it. Which IMO is reason enough that cautioning people that mentioning their gender identity might provoke some bullheaded grumpypants to go on a rant about how gender must be a binary because reasons is a bit... off key? Out of place? Not going so far as to argue that it was deliberate dramamongering, just that it was maybe not entirely motivated.

I mean, I absolutely agree, it costs you (gen) nothing to just, like... use people's preferred pronouns and keeping your mouth shut about whatever misgivings you privately harbor about the validity of their identity.

quoting_mungo

I am seriously struggling with gender and starting to consider that I might be nonbinary.
Best of luck!
It's perfectly okay for it to be a journey/process. Sometimes we need to give things time to germinate before we can either embrace or discard them. There's also many sub-labels under the enby umbrella, and it's possible exploring some of them may help you find clarity.

Pardon the unsolicited advice. ;) Disregard if it's old news to you.

EDIT: Fuck you, autocorrect.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I know a few. Well not exactly here, on this forum, i only know 1 person.
In Discord or Telegram, that's different question. They are rare for sure, but you have better luck finding them there.

In my experience, people doesn't run around, talking about their genders (sexuality on other hand is filling every corner), and most of the servers doesn't allow that option to chose as a role either, so you can't just go around and "hunt" them (mostly understandable why). So it's not easy to spot persons like that.

On second word, if your thread won't turn into a complete warzone, you might going to have some luck with your search.
I still find it astonishing that half the people here think that asking if there are other NB furs will start WWIII... I'm not here to debate the gender binary (which I do think is arbitrary and stupid, but that's not for discussion right now). I was just wondering if there were others like me here.
Hiya! ^W^
Don't be shy!
I am seriously struggling with gender and starting to consider that I might be nonbinary.

Unfortunately I'm not a furry, though. Just here because this kind of thread can exist here and not end the absolute worst way possible.

Git 'em <3
If you want to DM me, you can. Maybe I could help?

AceQuorthon

International Man of Mystery
00101010 01000010 01000101 01000101 01010000 00100000 01000010 01001111 01001111 01010000 00101010 00100000 01001001 00100000 01000001 01001101 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000010 01001001 01001110 01000001 01010010 01011001 00100000 01010000 01000101 01010010 01010011 01001111 01001110

AceQuorthon

International Man of Mystery
Well, this thread made me depressed. I just wanted to find others like me, and it somehow turned into a dumpster fire.
Just read through this thread, I’m sorry about this :C

Ziggy Schlacht

The above is what Ovi meant before people started to tear him into pieces.

And you can respond with the three options - demand acceptance, explain the difference between sex/gender, or ignore them. Because while they could be a troll, they could also literally not get sex/gender/orientation are three distinct categories. Your average person doesn't even know how to question their gender identity (god knows I don't, and I get surprised when my friends prove to be cis/het), because really for 99ish % of the population gender/sex match, and for 93ish% of the population, gender/sex/orientation match what makes sense for biology. So to them, non-binaryism (ninby is so much shorter) is weird because they have never and will never question their gender. So face it, they're not going to understand at first. So you cannot assume they're being willfully mean or intentional ignorant - they may not get it.

Quite frankly, much of the dislike of "alternative gender" is routed almost entirely in its very difficult to understand, and humans tend to fear what they don't get.

So, in this case, that guy could well be a troll, or he could just not get it. In either case, getting hostile with him won't help. You'll either feed the troll, or you'll turn him off of your cause. Neither has a good outcome. If you don't want to take the mental burden of explaining this to him, ignore him. But, if you do, there's actually quite a few anologies that might get there. You know - sex is hardware, gender is firmware, or "think cat OS running on dog hardware" for something perhaps a bit less computery.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
And you can respond with the three options - demand acceptance, explain the difference between sex/gender, or ignore them. Because while they could be a troll, they could also literally not get sex/gender/orientation are three distinct categories. Your average person doesn't even know how to question their gender identity (god knows I don't, and I get surprised when my friends prove to be cis/het), because really for 99ish % of the population gender/sex match, and for 93ish% of the population, gender/sex/orientation match what makes sense for biology. So to them, non-binaryism (ninby is so much shorter) is weird because they have never and will never question their gender. So face it, they're not going to understand at first. So you cannot assume they're being willfully mean or intentional ignorant - they may not get it.

Quite frankly, much of the dislike of "alternative gender" is routed almost entirely in its very difficult to understand, and humans tend to fear what they don't get.

So, in this case, that guy could well be a troll, or he could just not get it. In either case, getting hostile with him won't help. You'll either feed the troll, or you'll turn him off of your cause. Neither has a good outcome. If you don't want to take the mental burden of explaining this to him, ignore him. But, if you do, there's actually quite a few anologies that might get there. You know - sex is hardware, gender is firmware, or "think cat OS running on dog hardware" for something perhaps a bit less computery.
I just reported the troll, though. I have no times for the likes of him.

Night.Claw

I understand what is the thread about, and know what they meant by making it. I even tried to point out, that on a server with more people taking part in a constant conversation, they have a better chance on finding what they are looking for. So i think i meant no harm.

I know what it means to be Non-Binary. I have friends like that, and they are not going to be different because of it.

But if you link the comments above mine, together with the comment i made about the comment Ovi made (Such a twist, yay.) You get what he tried to tell. He and i didn't tell being any gender is bad. He literally said that people like that will comment on the thread because "Lol fun". Every time. I don't think i need to tell you how people works behind monitors. And if you don't count someone who answer in binary language to a thread like this, as a visible troll, we have the misunderstanding at exactly that point, and that's were this discussion actually started. People misunderstanding each other, it happens. Even i can misunderstand you at this exact moment and my comment makes no sense at the end. That can happen too.

I think we both should agree on the fact, that people should be more respectful and if they don't know something ASK or use the good ol's google, before making jokes about someone.

quoting_mungo

I don't think that's quite the whole of it - trans* people get shat on for being the low-hanging fruit of the queer community (by which I don't mean to say that nasty attitudes towards trans* people are in any way deserved, but rather that gay/bi attraction has gained enough acceptance that it's going to be harder to get people turning against them). While I don't personally feel that enbies have to also identify as trans*, many do, and to some degree they've been treated as the low-hanging fruit of the trans* community. It's a very ugly divide and conquer affair.

Now, to some degree what makes trans* people easier to malign is the fact that people fear the unfamiliar and will, as a collorary, resist attack on the familiar. Most people will have a gay friend, coworker, or aquaintance. If you start spouting off that the gays universally want to molest children, you risk a lot of backlash because of this. Fewer people will (at least that they know of) have a trans* person in their circle. This, sadly, makes trans* people an inviting target for bad actors, whether these bad actors are people that don't like QUILTBAGs or people who think it's funny to dehumanize and mock others for kicks.

That, and a cultural/social climate where people attracted to women are encouraged to fear (other people's) dicks. Basically, I don't think negative attitudes towards enbies and negative attitudes towards trans* people are very far, if at all, separated.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I don't think that's quite the whole of it - trans* people get shat on for being the low-hanging fruit of the queer community (by which I don't mean to say that nasty attitudes towards trans* people are in any way deserved, but rather that gay/bi attraction has gained enough acceptance that it's going to be harder to get people turning against them). While I don't personally feel that enbies have to also identify as trans*, many do, and to some degree they've been treated as the low-hanging fruit of the trans* community. It's a very ugly divide and conquer affair.

Now, to some degree what makes trans* people easier to malign is the fact that people fear the unfamiliar and will, as a collorary, resist attack on the familiar. Most people will have a gay friend, coworker, or aquaintance. If you start spouting off that the gays universally want to molest children, you risk a lot of backlash because of this. Fewer people will (at least that they know of) have a trans* person in their circle. This, sadly, makes trans* people an inviting target for bad actors, whether these bad actors are people that don't like QUILTBAGs or people who think it's funny to dehumanize and mock others for kicks.

That, and a cultural/social climate where people attracted to women are encouraged to fear (other people's) dicks. Basically, I don't think negative attitudes towards enbies and negative attitudes towards trans* people are very far, if at all, separated.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why do you put the asterisk after every trans?

quoting_mungo

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why do you put the asterisk after every trans?
Because I'm old, essentially. :p

Back when I was first exposed to trans*-related discourse, something like 15+ years ago, it was considered to be the appropriate way to refer to trans* people, possibly because there was still a shift happening in usage (transgender/transsexual), possibly some other reason - I'm not a research linguist and it was long ago so if the specifics were ever explained to me I don't remember - and the habit stuck.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Because I'm old, essentially. :p

Back when I was first exposed to trans*-related discourse, something like 15+ years ago, it was considered to be the appropriate way to refer to trans* people, possibly because there was still a shift happening in usage (transgender/transsexual), possibly some other reason - I'm not a research linguist and it was long ago so if the specifics were ever explained to me I don't remember - and the habit stuck.
Oh. Alright. Interesting

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
To answer OP a bit more, not just rant. I know more people who admit they're ninby than who admit they're furries. You are looking for a needle in a hay stack here - even with the significantly-above-average-LGBT population in this community. What I might recommend is actually searching related terms on FA itself, and finding art of it. I think the pull of this forum is tiny.

Edit: Forgot to finish the thought - this way you can find ninby characters, who may be drawn by openly ninby artists. Best I can do for you.
I've found tons of art, but I'm looking more for a community than anything else.

Huh, I'm an NB who's not trans. I'm perfectly happy with my male body. I just like looking like a girl and hate being associated with the "manly" men.

Ziggy Schlacht

@FluffyShutterbug Those artists may tag their pages with "NBFurs" or something. I've seen nationality tags and stuff, so maybe? Just trying to do more than turn this into a dumpster fire...

Regarding the second part - I know someone who's biologically female (and okay with she/her/hers from folks) but generally doesn't ID as female. They both fight in armor and knit, and wants to be able to do either without judgement. Stems more from growing up being told "women don't do that" and not liking it. So you're certainly not alone in your reasoning. Unfortunately, I don't know if they're a furry, never asked and at this point would be randomly asking them a bit of a weird question.