• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your favorite medium?

• acrylic paint

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • watercolors

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • oil paint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • graphite pencils

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • ink and pen

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • clay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
A call out to those few traditional artists within this wide sea of digital artists. :'D

As much as I love digital artwork, I've always been one for traditional medias. I love the feeling of physical paints and inks. :D Most of the people around me are digital artists. I enjoy discussing and sharing ideas with them, but I would like to find some other folks out there that use physical media, rather than digital.

For all those who do use tradition media share with us, what do you use? (acrylics, watercolors, colored pencil, clay, etc) What's your favorite thing about working traditionally? What are your favorite techniques? What inspires you? Feel free to add to this discussion, share your knowledge and inspiration! Also open for those who've never used traditional media, but are interested in learning more about it. ;)

glitchology

train hopping paint cryptid
I use pretty much anything, save for clay and acrylics. My favorites are gouache, watercolor, and oil for paints, though, and graphite/ink for drawing. Digital media for illustrative purposes confuses the #@$% out of me. I just started with it, for class, and man... It does have upsides for sure (ease, portability, cleanliness, and not something you "use up"), but I sort of hate it! Maybe that's just because I'm still yet to really figure it out, but it's easier to me to work with my hands with something tangible. I'm glad to see someone who agrees. So many of my friends that are digital artists make light fun of me because most of my time spent with a tablet is me cursing at it under my breath... it takes me so long just to do a small drawing.. I give a lot of respect to those that can do it well.

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I use pretty much anything, save for clay and acrylics. My favorites are gouache, watercolor, and oil for paints, though, and graphite/ink for drawing. Digital media for illustrative purposes confuses the #@$% out of me. I just started with it, for class, and man... It does have upsides for sure (ease, portability, cleanliness, and not something you "use up"), but I sort of hate it! Maybe that's just because I'm still yet to really figure it out, but it's easier to me to work with my hands with something tangible. I'm glad to see someone who agrees. So many of my friends that are digital artists make light fun of me because most of my time spent with a tablet is me cursing at it under my breath... it takes me so long just to do a small drawing.. I give a lot of respect to those that can do it well.

I have yet to try out gouache. It's been recommended by a friend of mine, but I've never actually used them. Still on my to do list. As for oils, I've only ever used them once, a loooong time ago. As I recall, I was quite put out by the experience, because they took so long to dry xD. But then, I was very impatient back then. Perhaps I'll give them another chance in the future, and really put some time down into learning more about them. My personal favorites are acrylics for painting, watercolors and ink for illustration, and pen and ink for drawing. I also play around with mixed media, which is what most of my artwork on my FA page consists of.
Yeah, I know what you mean when it comes to digital :'D. It's very tricky when one isn't used to it. I've gotten better with it over the years, and even enjoy it, but I'll always hold a special affection for traditional media.

Y

Yukkie

I do both traditional and digital. uwu Only been doing digital for a few months, traditional for four years.

I'm most familiar with simply a pencil and pen (markers if I'm in the mood to color) But I just started doing watercolors, and it is soooo much fun.

And like, music is super inspiring?? You find that one great song and you're just like... "I want to draw how this sounds." LOL

@Coffee Lion What are your favorites???

Edit: Tfw you're late to ask~~

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I do both traditional and digital. uwu Only been doing digital for a few months, traditional for four years.

I'm most familiar with simply a pencil and pen (markers if I'm in the mood to color) But I just started doing watercolors, and it is soooo much fun.

And like, music is super inspiring?? You find that one great song and you're just like... "I want to draw how this sounds." LOL

@Coffee Lion What are your favorites???

Edit: Tfw you're late to ask~~
My personal favorite are a combination of pen & ink and watercolor paints. I've always loved the line and wash style. ;)
I also really like pure ink drawings, where I'll sketch with my pen and add value with washes of ink.
My third favorite technique is mixed media, which for me is a combination of watercolors, acrylic, and colored pencils.
It's good to see someone else enthusiastic about watercolors! :D Also, I agree with the music. I usually have to have a playlist going while I draw. Keeps my mind busy and my creativity flowing. ;)

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I'm relatively new to drawing for practice and improving my skill on a regular basis, but what I've usually done so far is just sketching with pencil and outlining with pen on regular copy paper :p Nothing too fancy for me :)
It's a good start, man. ;) I'm sure pencil and pen on copy paper is how most of us began. Heck, I still draw and doodle on copy paper. Can't go wrong when someone who owns a printing company gives you three huge boxes full of unused computer paper. :D

SniperCoon2882

The insomniatic marksman
It's a good start, man. ;) I'm sure pencil and pen on copy paper is how most of us began. Heck, I still draw and doodle on copy paper. Can't go wrong when someone who owns a printing company gives you three huge boxes full of unused computer paper. :D
Aw, I wish that I had access to that much paper! (At least without taking it from my actual printer that needs it :p)

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I work primarily in graphite. Sometimes I'll do colored pencil or pair the two together. I'm dabbling a bit in charcoal and ink. Well, Sharpies. Ink enough for me. And the closest I care to get to wet media. I do not have the patience to be a painter. Watercolors made from watercolor pencils, maybe, but not any other kind of painting.

Katriel

Heh, I'll enjoy taking back to digital soon as I have the equipment for it ... but traditional is fun too!

I like acrylic and canvas, when I have the workspace for it. For drawings I'm currently using ink pen and watercolor pencils, sometimes with extra colored pencil shading, both normal watercolor and Inktense for less soluble layers. Also like paint watercolor, but I haven't invested as much in that. ;)

CanisOvis

Pissrot
I love traditional art so much more than digital. I still plan on improving my digital skills but traditional is what suits me best. My favorites are pen and ink along with copic markers, like this: www.furaffinity.net: Honeybee Tattoo Commission by AshuraVieh . I am about to start on a gouache project for a local art gallery on wood paneling and I am excited about it!
As for techniques, well, for sketching, I like throwing down a heck load of graphite to the point that erasing it is kinda like painting if that makes sense? I am not really sure how to explain it. I also like just doing a lot of small hatching for inkwork, not so much cross-hatching. Also doing stuff on tonal paper is amazing and I love being able to add white to stuff instead of it already being there.
I really want to experiment more with oils, watercolours and so forth. I have only recently really been getting into color and it's hard.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Do you have a gallery @Coffee Lion ?
I used to work in traditional media, and still have a lot of traditional media drawings and paintings in my gallery, including the painting in my avatar, but I work digitally now.

Luku_Zuku

Still trying to draw, slowly
I've been drawing for quite a while, and I'm just barely beginning to scratch the surface of Traditional. Basically, I've literally only done one decent drawing on Photoshop. Otherwise, I've been drawing Traditionally for about 4 years now, and I have lost count how many sketchbooks I've filled...

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
Heh, I'll enjoy taking back to digital soon as I have the equipment for it ... but traditional is fun too!

I like acrylic and canvas, when I have the workspace for it. For drawings I'm currently using ink pen and watercolor pencils, sometimes with extra colored pencil shading, both normal watercolor and Inktense for less soluble layers. Also like paint watercolor, but I haven't invested as much in that. ;)
Don't think I've heard of Inktense. Is it a brand name? Or a specific kind of medium?

Katriel

Don't think I've heard of Inktense. Is it a brand name? Or a specific kind of medium?

It's a ... specific method of medium done by a specific brand, I suppose, and possibly a trademarked product name? I have only seen it from Derwent. They are fairly bright watercolor-style pencils or blocks that activate with water into ink, rather than watercolor, and after it dries the ink is immune to being reactivated by water.

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I love traditional art so much more than digital. I still plan on improving my digital skills but traditional is what suits me best. My favorites are pen and ink along with copic markers, like this: www.furaffinity.net: Honeybee Tattoo Commission by AshuraVieh . I am about to start on a gouache project for a local art gallery on wood paneling and I am excited about it!
As for techniques, well, for sketching, I like throwing down a heck load of graphite to the point that erasing it is kinda like painting if that makes sense? I am not really sure how to explain it. I also like just doing a lot of small hatching for inkwork, not so much cross-hatching. Also doing stuff on tonal paper is amazing and I love being able to add white to stuff instead of it already being there.
I really want to experiment more with oils, watercolours and so forth. I have only recently really been getting into color and it's hard.
Did some poking around your gallery, your style is amazing! As much as I love using pen and ink, I'm still pretty shaky with the whole hatching and cross hatching technique, it's something I've been practicing lately. Usually I just do line and wash without any hatching. I think I know what you mean by "erasing it is kinda like painting", it's like using the smudging from the graphite to your advantage, yeah?

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
It's a ... specific method of medium done by a specific brand, I suppose, and possibly a trademarked product name? I have only seen it from Derwent. They are fairly bright watercolor-style pencils or blocks that activate with water into ink, rather than watercolor, and after it dries the ink is immune to being reactivated by water.
Did a little bit of researching, I may have to check 'em out sometime. c:

lyar

Its not the human race, its just the human race
I suppose I am a traditional artist however, I haven't tested many different types of ink. I kind of just stick to pencil when it comes to paper. Although as of recently I've been painting on wood which somehow brings me happiness. I like wood. I plan to mess with spray paint some time this summer.

CanisOvis

Pissrot
Did some poking around your gallery, your style is amazing! As much as I love using pen and ink, I'm still pretty shaky with the whole hatching and cross hatching technique, it's something I've been practicing lately. Usually I just do line and wash without any hatching. I think I know what you mean by "erasing it is kinda like painting", it's like using the smudging from the graphite to your advantage, yeah?

Ah golly, thanks so much! Your stuff is also amazing and so pretty ahhh. I've been dying to try doing washes. They come out looking so wonderful. And yeah, that is what I meant! It's so fun.

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I suppose I am a traditional artist however, I haven't tested many different types of ink. I kind of just stick to pencil when it comes to paper. Although as of recently I've been painting on wood which somehow brings me happiness. I like wood. I plan to mess with spray paint some time this summer.
Wood painting is awesome! I like getting smooth plywood for my acrylic paintings. I prefer it over canvas. c:
I haven't messed with spray paint since college art club. I hope to get the opportunity again in the future.

ShamonCornell

I used to be purely traditional, but several things basically put a stop to it:
1.) No art supply stores in Northern Virginia, worth the title
2.) Michaels' selection is crap, A.C. Moore's is WORSE. And NONE of it is in stock.
3.) Ever since Grumbacher discontinued their artist pen line, I have yet to find a drafting pen with lines as fine as I need, as dark as I need, and with ink as permanent as I need. I can use any damn 0.5mm HB mechanical pencil, I NEED MY DAMN PENS.
4.) NO scanner will scan colors 100% accurate. Scanners lit by a fluorescent bar, will eat your blue-green contrasts, while LED systems will eat your yellow-red contrasts. Give you an example, Minsha's hair in my avatar? The red lowlights is almost black it's so dark, while the highlights are the brightest, yellowest orange I have. Otherwise, it would be a single-shaded blob of "red-orange".
5.) Lastly, scanners are too small for my sketchbooks and Bristol boards. The ones available for most private use, are intended solely to be used as glorified fax machines, or to upload family photos and the like. As such, images get warped at the edges, light doesn't reach the outsides, and so on.

As such, for me, it's simply no longer tenable to work in traditional media, if I ever want to share my work...outside of the wargaming miniatures I build, paint, and customize. My markers all have to be gotten online, because Michaels doesn't keep anything in stock. I have to order canvas frames online, because Michaels doesn't even SELL them anymore, and even then, I have to drastically alter what tools I use and pray to whatever dead gods will listen, that the colors will scan at least CLOSE to how I intend them.

Coffee Lion

Caffeine Headache
I used to be purely traditional, but several things basically put a stop to it:
1.) No art supply stores in Northern Virginia, worth the title
2.) Michaels' selection is crap, A.C. Moore's is WORSE. And NONE of it is in stock.
3.) Ever since Grumbacher discontinued their artist pen line, I have yet to find a drafting pen with lines as fine as I need, as dark as I need, and with ink as permanent as I need. I can use any damn 0.5mm HB mechanical pencil, I NEED MY DAMN PENS.
4.) NO scanner will scan colors 100% accurate. Scanners lit by a fluorescent bar, will eat your blue-green contrasts, while LED systems will eat your yellow-red contrasts. Give you an example, Minsha's hair in my avatar? The red lowlights is almost black it's so dark, while the highlights are the brightest, yellowest orange I have. Otherwise, it would be a single-shaded blob of "red-orange".
5.) Lastly, scanners are too small for my sketchbooks and Bristol boards. The ones available for most private use, are intended solely to be used as glorified fax machines, or to upload family photos and the like. As such, images get warped at the edges, light doesn't reach the outsides, and so on.

As such, for me, it's simply no longer tenable to work in traditional media, if I ever want to share my work...outside of the wargaming miniatures I build, paint, and customize. My markers all have to be gotten online, because Michaels doesn't keep anything in stock. I have to order canvas frames online, because Michaels doesn't even SELL them anymore, and even then, I have to drastically alter what tools I use and pray to whatever dead gods will listen, that the colors will scan at least CLOSE to how I intend them.
Yeah, art stores are kind of few and far between, which is why I buy everything online. I recently moved, so I don't have a good art supplies store near by anymore. I miss the convenience of having a store where I could at least buy some nice paint brushes.