• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anyone else collect books?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
What do you collect? What are some of your prized books?

Having been an English major who has worked in a bookstore and a library they sure have accumulated.

I collect a lot of American and world literature and fiction, 1800s to present, as well as art, architecture, wine, music, antiques, history, psychology and a mish mash of other things.

My prized books include a signed first edition of James Baldwin's The Price of The Ticket, his collected essays, as well as a signed copy of Gary Paulen's Hatchet. ('classic' young adult fiction is another genre I like, along with reprints of old comic books: Plastic Man, Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu, Batman, Spiderman, Krazy Kat, &c.)

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
What do you collect? What are some of your prized books?

Having been an English major who has worked in a bookstore and a library they sure have accumulated.

I collect a lot of American and world literature and fiction, 1800s to present, as well as art, architecture, wine, music, antiques, history, psychology and a mish mash of other things.

My prized books include a signed first edition of James Baldwin's The Price of The Ticket, his collected essays, as well as a signed copy of Gary Paulen's Hatchet. ('classic' young adult fiction is another genre I like, along with reprints of old comic books: Plastic Man, Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu, Batman, Spiderman, Krazy Kat, &c.)
You should let me tell you the sad comic book tale some time.

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
I don't have any rare or valuable books, but when I was working in a thrift store I used to bring home a lot of random books that I liked. I re-donated most of them a few years ago because they were taking up too much space, but I still love my little collection.

I especially liked collecting books with interesting illustrations or photos. This one really charmed me because of how passionately focused it was. The author goes on for 250 pages about the science of iridescent colours, and lovingly illustrates it herself with coloured pencil because photos couldn't capture the effect to her liking.
IMG_20200716_141040892.jpg IMG_20200716_144551514.jpg
This one is about how and why certain forms and patterns come about in nature. It's pretty dry, but the illustrations are so alien and fun to look at!
IMG_20200716_141203281.jpg IMG_20200716_141311315.jpg

quoting_mungo

I have too many books (and yet not enough to not have a pile more on my wishlist). I don’t know that I have anything that I would consider particularly prize volumes, though I’m pretty pleased to have collected a full set of a particular publishing run of The Black Stallion (and sequels etc) which was before my time. I keep coming back to a few of my Mercedes Lackey books. And there’s a particular series of animal encyclopedia type books that I really like (gorgeous illustrations, plus nostalgic value) and will take any opportunity to add more volumes of to my collection.

I’m just sad that for all that I love books and stories, I’ve read probably less than five books in the last several years - even less if you don’t count textbooks for my studies.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I have a 1936 copy of Goethe's Faust that a teacher gave me

aomagrat

I have hundreds of books. Mostly history books, mostly military history and historical events, and fiction books that I really enjoyed. I hate to throw any book away. One of my most unusual books is a signed collection of cartoonist John Dempsey's Playboy cartoons. John Dempsey was a freelance cartoonist who's cartoons appeared in magazines like Saturday Evening Post, Cosmopolitan, Collier's and most famously Playboy. One or two of his cartoons appeared in every issue of Playboy from 1954 to his death in 2002. This book is special because on the inside front cover is an original watercolor cartoon by him featuring my great uncle, who was a friend of his. I inherited it when my great aunt died.

M

ManicTherapsid

I have a ton of Battletech novel books and source/rule books. Also have a bunch of other random books, mainly history.

Magnuswolf

Lost in an internal soundtrack
I have a decent collection of leather covered classics. The Art Of War, The Illiad, The Complete Works of Shakespeare etc. I like the unique designs for the covers of those.

I also have a collection of survival/trapping books. I don't hunt but I've always thought those kind of books were interesting to read or just look at. Some were passed down through a couple generations too so maybe that's what got me started.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Nice to see some fellow antiquarians of various stripes!

I hear @Izzy4895 has a very nice 78 volume set of A History of Vulpine Mischief, of which at least two volumres are dedicated to his own antics. :p

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Lol, reading and I have a love hate relationship. When I was younger I couldn't read because I just couldn't understand it. But I eventually got there and I started reading books by Rick Roirdan. And reading kinda took off after that, and I made sure to read EVER SINGLE one of his books. Does anybody else like his works?

Last edited:

Pomorek

Hyena-Addicted Antelope
I don't collect books. I hoard them. Actually, you made me realize I may have a little problem here... *trips on a book pile, one of many*

But seriously, this is getting out of hand, just slightly. I don't have that much storage space, yet I have no heart to discard books just like that. And their numbers are growing rather than dwindling. The most I can do is to "expatriate" the least interesting ones to the cellar. And then, if they lay there for so long that they start falling apart, then, ugh, maybe it's time to say goodbye... :/

I really should make a sort of triage but again, can't bring myself to it. It would have been easier if I had somewhere to donate, but it's not necessarily that easy around these parts.

Can't say I have anything particularly precious, though.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
There was a time when I collected science fiction and fantasy novels. Word got out, and people started giving me their old books. That was great, but I eventually had to get rid of most of them. Many of which I never got around to reading. Books can be a big hassle when trying to move.

On the one hand, I like the idea of e-books. They weigh nothing, and only take up digital space. On the other hand, I like to have a physical book in my hand.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I used to collect comics/graphic novels by the Mexican-American comic book artist Jhonen Vasquez. I was really obsessive and had dozens of signed near mint first prints and such. It was during my teenage goth phase and I'm a bit embarrassed by it. I went totally fangirl. I was terrified that my books and comics would get damaged somehow and I handled them with kid gloves. It was a bit of a nightmare.

REAL books, that I actually read, I don't exactly collect and I tend to abuse them horribly. A dog eared, wrinkely, stinky old book is my kind of book. It's a sign of love. I love damaged old books with character.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

My parents collect books. Operative word is collect. Not read.
Why bother to collect them if they are not being read?.... (Trade value or is it for you?.......)
Incidentally almost all the reading I do now is via logins online.
I read on my Kindle I got for Christmas last year and I'm reading a certain book written by Mary Trump right now from time to time.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Why bother to collect them if they are not being read?.... (Trade value or is it for you?.......)

I read on my Kindle I got for Christmas last year and I'm reading a certain book written by Mary Trump.

They hoard. They cannot resist buying things.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Yes. I have stacks of books for Warhammer and tons for tabletop RPGs, plus many different fantasy and sci fi settings in general.

Izzy4895

Bad Fox
I have quite a few books. I just wish I had time to read all of them.

D

Deleted member 111470

Boox r 4 nerdz lmao

I just have a few that I like. I really want to have them in English, but sadly - my favorites are only sold in my language. It isn't a big deal with some, like the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, but then there are others like the books by Dan Brown, where some phrases and words only make sense in English.

My best alternative is buying a Kindle so I can get the titles I like the most in English.