• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anyone having problems with FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
so wait, everything newer than 6 days old is gone?

It's like I said from the beginning: they don't want to give information they're not sure about. What they KNOW is that everything older than 6 days is safe. What they DON'T know is how much - if anything - newer than that was lost, so they're not ready to commit to an answer on that question yet. It'll all get sorted out, like it always does :)

GamerFox

That's not very comforting. If there's the remotest chance of data loss, don't you think you should tell them ASAP?

homie

the homiest of the homies
That's not very comforting. If there's the remotest chance of data loss, don't you think you should tell them ASAP?

Not if they're caught up in fixing the issue at hand.

Keep in mind nearly everyone here will potentially overreact if they announce data may have been lost if it really hasn't.

shadow42

Caption Fluffybutt
n

no because that would start a panic that they would have to deal with on top of the site being down. and if it is recoverable and they tell people it gone then that is bad too. in the long run, it sucks to be in the dark but it happens

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy

Not really. Because if there is a "remote chance" of data loss, then there's nothing end users can do about it except worry more, and if it's only a chance, that means there's also a chance that the data is completely safe and/or recoverable. So it's better to wait until more information is known, and dispel any rumors in the meantime. The reason I was trying to get an answer from Neer on that is because Flayrah News and other outlets were already making massive speculations, and people were freaking out about it. That's usually the best time for a "here's what we do know." Neer said what he knows, and beyond that, he doesn't want to feed speculation. I don't like it either, but knowledge really isn't power at this point, because there's nothing anyone on this side of things can do about it anyway.

GamerFox

You're just trading off "oh no, my stuff might be lost" for a whole bunch of "hey, my stuff is gone, you asswipe" later.

Calax

What are you all so scared about? It's not like you uploaded every picture, every document etc to Furaffinity and have no local backup xD

If any data of a said timespan of 6 days is lost, it's most probably just a few notes and a few pictures, which you can definetly easily re-upload without much trouble

I don't really see the big deal here

Warwick

So I thought I'd try another art site, and it offers an option to import from FA. Obviously, just when that seems like a good idea... you can't. Haha.

At least I could upload the doodle I'd intended to upload to FA to cloud it somewhere.

Yeneeko

What are you all so scared about? It's not like you uploaded every picture, every document etc to Furaffinity and have no local backup xD

If any data of a said timespan of 6 days is lost, it's most probably just a few notes and a few pictures, which you can definetly easily re-upload without much trouble

I don't really see the big deal here
Because this type of stuff doesn't affect one or two people and it doesn't mean one or two notes or picturesor a journal. This affects money and personal information. People work off of this site. It's a lot more important than your trivialization of this situation.

That being said, it's probably not that serious, and if it is - neer will let us know once things are figured out in more detail.

Pingu2002

Unless neer confirms it in an official post, it's not what's happening and is only speculation.

I know it's speculation, but its our only info. A guy said he found a exploit, and no admins said they did anything to fix it. We don't even know if the guy reported it or not. And yes, while he could be bluffing, the old saying goes "When there's smoke, there's fire."

Yeneeko

I know it's speculation, but its our only info. A guy said he found a exploit, and no admins said they did anything to fix it. We don't even know if the guy reported it or not. And yes, while he could be bluffing, the old saying goes "When there's smoke, there's fire."
Well there's obviously an issue, it's getting quantifiable information first. I just think making people worry more is probably not a good idea.

maxgoof

I do find the wording a bit of a concern, however.

"We will provide more information on the downtime once we are able to do so."

Well, clearly they are able to do so, now, but are waiting until they have an answer or a fix or something before telling us what it is. Why they feel it necessary to wait is beyond me.

The statement says it is temporary. That says it is fixable. If it is fixable, that says they know the likely reason why the problem occurred. It would be nice to know at least that.

wolfbeast

Even if full transparency can't yet be given at this point in time, it would be nice to know something. Was it a technical failure, was it an attack, or was it something else?
I understand the need for keeping details under wraps if there's an investigation ongoing for an attack, but letting us know what type of temporary issue we're dealing with here might help us understand better why there's extended downtime, and be more understanding as to the time needed to fix it (and potential need for repairs by artists).

Bruce

Neer is most likely diagnosing this all remotely from a backdoor Admin-only terminal connection to the server farm - that makes it a bit more difficult because you can't just page through the terminal and see what's going on. And if you reset the wrong thing you can make it much worse real fast. Got to be slow and methodical.

It would be lovely to get a detailed status report - but he has to figure out the status first, and by that time he's 2/3 of the way to the solution anyway - so you get that started, then you update the status... And you don't want to panic the Chicken Littles. "My Data is gone!!"

6 day old full backup means be careful not to reset the storage with all the changes since the last backup. Incremental backups are often a pain to work with.

If the storage server is viable but the index got corrupted, or one drive in a RAID Array dies, you have to give it time without any traffic to reindex the data or rebuild the array with a hot spare. Because if you lose a second HDD while the first is still rebuilding onto the hot spare... It can get real bad. And if there aren't any hot spares in the server someone has to go to the hosting site or put in a request for the staff to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.