• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anyone in your family know you're a furry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thohi Torok

Furry - and proud of it..
it's fucked up that we have to hide ourselves in the dark...persoanlly i don't...i would rather be known and hated for what i am...then walk up to someone and tell thm what i am them go: what's a fur?*facepaws* i've heard that so many times i wanna pull my fur out! I am personally tied of the fur community not being known...and i am wanting to make us widely known thoughout the usa to start off...but meh...it won't work if no one willback me up..so i'll just shut up now...:mad:

I can only agree with you that it's sad that so many furs hide in shame. Like I said earlier, I don't. I wouldn't say I flaunt my furryness, but I don't hide it. Everyone I know, knows. My friends, family, coworkers and boss.

A lot of people don't understand what furry is, and as long as furries hide like most do now, they never will understand, and stories like Vanity Fair and C:S:I will be all that's known to the public..

Khensu

My mom may have an idea about it. She grabbed the AC flyer out of my back pocket that I had completely forgotten about and asked me what it was. I just replied that it was kind of an artist's gathering and left it at that. So if she Googled Anthrocon, she'd have a pretty good idea. Of course there's far worse sites she could've visited, so I'm not all that distressed. Besides, my parents are pretty cool and I doubt they'd really care if I did tell them.

Ruiisu

My parents don't even know what the hell furries or antro is.
Usually the said the antro's original specias and then add man to If for example, If then saw an antro for they'd just call It Fox-man. XD like the did with pokemon. Pokeman.

Anyway, I'd say my sister knows I like furries and same goes for my friends but they'd consider me a furry-fan than just conpletely furry.

I tend to balance out my fandoms so one of them doesn't get to out of hand.

Last edited:

Thohi Torok

Furry - and proud of it..
"hell no. they don't even know what furries are, etc."

and i'd like to keep it that way >:[

Yeah, I think it's really great that most furries seem to be ashamed of being furry.... <_<

G

Greenbunny45

I just read this whole thread in one sitting O.O

I'm quite surprised at some of the responses your parents had. Since my bedroom is in my house's bonusroom, I don't have much privacy on the computer during the day, so I'm sure I will be asked what I am drawing eventually. I seriously can't think of any reason how they could respond negatively if I explained what anthropomorphic art is and that there is a geeky fandom revolving around it :)

but then again my family is very liberal and I am sure my mom would be cool about that kind of stuff (except sometimes she's ... TOO cool, if you know what I mean :|) We are also a pretty open minded family and we also don't watch crap TV like CSI and reality shows.

Also I am usually very secretive around my family. I mean, if my parents even listen to the music I own, I get nervous and uncomfortable :| (even though they don't like or dislike it) and I'm sure them seeing what I draw would be a hell of a lot worse (or going to draw, I should say... I've been learning to draw and just recently ordered a graphic tablet)

As for my sister, I have seen her browsing through deviantart sometimes so I am sure she knows about anthropomorphic art, and maybe even about the fandom, but I have NO idea how she would react when she inevitably sees my art. She's the stereotypical vegetarian, fake-emo (she says its called "scene"... but its really just fake emo to me xD), teenage middle school girl, so there is no way to forsee what she would think.

Basically I'm sure my family (or at least my parents) would be very accepting of it, but the problem would be that I would still feel uncomfortable.

What I have been really confused about in this thread is how people are treating this like coming out as gay... Maybe I'm not engulfed into the fandom enough to understand, but it seems a hell of a lot different to me :|

Whew... bed time -_- 4:29 am is waaaay too late :|

EDIT:

Ok this has been running through my head and I can't get to sleep... so:

I think the big issue some of you are having here telling your parents is that if you take it seriously, they take it seriously. So don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunnerboy

all but my brother, cause he is an idiot

Shomti

The Oft Mispronounced
My sister's known. She finds it absolutely repulsive, so I try to ignore her and her cracks about animals when it comes up. Funny thing, she has no problem with me being bi, but when I mention I'm furry she flips out. o_O

My parents know now, because I brought up a convention with them a week or two ago and I made sure to give them a good impression of it this time. So they don't care. :D They're the conservative ones, too, so I would have pegged them--the Christian, anti-gay kind--to have a problem, rather than my sister--the Satanist (no joke), pro-gay, anti-Christian, liberal kind--to be the haters in my family. My brother may have a minor understanding of it but I don't talk with him about it that much.

And I have decided from past experience that it is, in fact, better to keep your family in the dark about relationships. Especially when--as mine is--it's with a guy.

Zorro101

Budzz
My cousin might.... because he goes on a few other forums that have furry related things, but not sure... but don't want any one to know not even some of my friends.

This place makes me feel at home!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL

~secret~

Banned
Banned
My parents would probably think it was a bit childish, if I ever tell them it'll probably involve explaining that furs like animals, Disney films and drawing. I dont think they would mind, they know nothing of the dark side:). Infact I dont need to tell them, they already know I like these things anyway.

It's your internet using friends you have to worry about.

Mystical-Ferret

The ferret overlord
No... just like they don't know any other odd things about me... in my family, that would be grounds for me to be disowned =(

Alblaka

Restless and lonely Dragon
No... just like they don't know any other odd things about me... in my family, that would be grounds for me to be disowned =(

o_O Yeah.. in my, too, i think
And it would be a reason for them to call emergency, i think -.-
They only know, i "like" dragons and write fantasy storys (with dragons)...
About my secret wish to be one they have no plan.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Funny thing just happened, I was taking to a fur on MSN when I decide to go make coffee. My mother takes the laptop while I'm downstairs and when I come back up she asks me what FA is. I tell her and she said 'oh, okay.' and gave me back the laptop.

So now my family knows and everyone's okay with it.

Alblaka

:(
Why everyone has so nice parents...
My would kill me... or do the things i've written before...

~secret~

Banned
Banned
:(
Why everyone has so nice parents...
My would kill me... or do the things i've written before...

Alblaka they cant be that bad, they're your parents. They'll probably be mad for a while but then they'll remember that you're the same good person they knew before you told them.

Alblaka

Alblaka they cant be that bad, they're your parents. They'll probably be mad for a while but then they'll remember that you're the same good person they knew before you told them.

-.-
*thinking a while*
Maybe, my father could understand, but my mother is really... old-mooded *or however you can call that...*
*thinking more*
Damn, difficult to explain...
But she really would think, i'm mentally ill or simply would forbid me, to go on PC anymore -.-, thinking it's just a forum... and not a life-style...

~secret~

Banned
Banned
-.-
*thinking a while*
Maybe, my father could understand, but my mother is really... old-mooded *or however you can call that...*
*thinking more*
Damn, difficult to explain...
But she really would think, i'm mentally ill or simply would forbid me, to go on PC anymore -.-, thinking it's just a forum... and not a life-style...

Whatever you decide it's up to you. I planned on not telling my parents after much deliberation. Maybe they will find out themselves and be okay with it, I hope so anyway.

Alblaka

Whatever you decide it's up to you. I planned on not telling my parents after much deliberation. Maybe they will find out themselves and be okay with it, I hope so anyway.

I think, i will simply wait some years. Maybe then my mother will accept, that i'm old enough to make my own decisions -.-

~secret~

Banned
Banned
I think, i will simply wait some years. Maybe then my mother will accept, that i'm old enough to make my own decisions -.-

That seems like a smart idea, more mature than some ideas I've heard.

I can't imagine a German being outraged at you being a fur though. I have a friend who went to Germany for a month on exchange and he says everyone he met was very nice and extremely tolerant. His friends grandfather even gave him money anytime he saw him:).

Vesuro

~Such a Rush~
Everyone. Except my dad, but I haven't spoken to him for years.

Alblaka

That seems like a smart idea, more mature than some ideas I've heard.

I can't imagine a German being outraged at you being a fur though. I have a friend who went to Germany for a month on exchange and he says everyone he met was very nice and extremely tolerant. His friends grandfather even gave him money anytime he saw him:).

^^ I think there are more "cliches" for example the leader pants or the Sauerkraut.
In northern germany both you won't see often ^^
And our grandparents are often that way, normally only to their grandchilds *right?*, but that, what you've written... nice ^^
The tolerance is pretty easy to explain: After the holocaust you get taught in germany everywhere intolerance is the worsest thing ever (what is right!). for example we have it in history hours at least 3 years in a row... -.- ok, that got boring, after the first year...

~secret~

Banned
Banned
^^ I think there are more "cliches" for example the leader pants or the Sauerkraut.
In northern germany both you won't see often ^^
And our grandparents are often that way, normally only to their grandchilds *right?*, but that, what you've written... nice ^^
The tolerance is pretty easy to explain: After the holocaust you get taught in germany everywhere intolerance is the worsest thing ever (what is right!). for example we have it in history hours at least 3 years in a row... -.- ok, that got boring, after the first year...

History for me sucks, I'm on the British educational system and every year it's the same old crap. I'm tired about hearing about WWII, and those books always make it seem that every German person was a bad guy at the time.

I haven't got a GCSE in History, I have one in Nazi Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.