• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anyone looking forward to Windows Vista

hypr

I shudder to ask that question but it is open for discussion.

I personally am conflicted whether or not Vista will be good to run everything or not. My major concern is the upgrading problem, once one changes the motherboard or CPU you will have to call the Microsoft service line and re-activate it. I am more of a power user as I like my computers no matter how ancient.

My oldest box is a 386 (I am big on the dos games)

But what do people think of Microsofts new OS, six weeks time it comes out.

My informed reaction is mostly along the lines of *remainder of clause deleted for extreme profanity*, but that's just my opinion. I think I'll wait until I actually need a feature provided in third-party software that requires Vista before even considering what I hesitate to call an "upgrade".

hypr

Yea, I want to but I want to see what others will do before I act, $199 USD is a lot to drop for an OS. They won't even release the starter edition here because of the World Bank regulations...

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
Considering that I run Gentoo Linux, I don't see a need for Vista. Well, other than Vista-tan pics. ^_^

hypr

I am a bit nervous about Vista, I plan on getting a DVD burner and SATA drive soon because SATA's are faster than ATA's

goat

considering it will have DX10 and im a gamer, yes. i have no worries at all whatsoever about vista. not in the least

sasaki

Considering that Microsoft themselves have said that Windows Vista despite being delayed is not quite finished says a lot. Let alone that it took WAY too many people and over a year to make a "shutdown button". No. I'm a gamer, but I will continue to use DX9 on Windows XP Pro even though my GPU is designed for DX10.

tesfox

Nope. Not in the least. IMO, vista is XP with most legacy code removed, bloated up and topped off with Aero, a bad attempt to answer Apple's Aqua. As far as games go, I'm a firm believer in games are meant for consoles, and you can use your computer for more important things. Plus the fact that I run FreeBSD makes the switch meaningless to me.

DavidN

So they're removed the bloat and replaced it with entirely different bloat? Fantastic.

hypr

I wonder how it will stand up to piraters, and the exploiters

Aikon

tesfox said:
bloated up and topped off with Aero, a bad attempt to answer Apple's Aqua.  

Aqua is overrated anyway, I got bored of it within a week's time. I've always wanted to try Aqua Pro, though. But, it's funny, I found a style for XP a few months ago and I fell in love with it (It's based on Aero, too), moreso than Aero OR Aqua. Aero's nice, a hair better than Aqua IMHO, but it goes without saying.

As to Vista in general, I'm more looking forward to getting a computer that will run it nicely. I used RC1 and 2 and both ran kinda sluggish, I'm assuming it will be faster by the time of release, but I like to upgrade once a year (except thisy ear I don't have the $$$).

The part about Vista that ticks me off is search, it was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, then they dumbed it down, according to Microsoft, for the average idiot. Hopefully they bring back the advanced search queries in PowerToys or something.

nrr

It's another expense to pay. That's all. You can whine all you want about it, but Microsoft, you know, will still be releasing it as it is. That's just how they roll.

Though, I was really beginning to like not having to buy a copy of Windows for a few years. Luckily for me, the university gives me non-commercial copies of this stuff for free, so I'm pretty much just given a copy... as long as I don't use it for contract work or whatever.

Hey, I guess we could be using SGI IRIX or something, right? At something like $650 per license, it sure is a real bargain.

Cybergarou

I just got a new computer so I'm getting Vista through the express upgrade program. My old computer won't be upgraded even if my school offers Vista through the MSDN academic alliance. I'd sooner turn it into a Linux box.

Of course these things can't go smoothly. The upgrade site had a bug and couldn't look up the city/state info. As a result it deleted my Windows certificate information, presumably to prevent piracy. It took a week of sending e-mails to costumer support before they fixed the bug and restored the certificate database.

foreverwhiteknight

Floppy Disks!
personally Vista does sound like a lot of bloated-ness but like everything else it'll eventually be pretty much required to run anything new at one point. I had even heard at some point that eventually you'd be required to have Vista to even access the internet, but then again I dunno how true that is. It's been a while since I heard that ^^;

Though it will be a while before I get Vista, simply because my computer now couldn't run it. Really it shouldn't even be able to run XP Pro but it does it pretty well. I'll have to upgrade A LOT, pretty much starting from scratch and building a PC before I even consider Vista seriously.

hypr

I am split on getting it, my video card, and virus scanner state that there may be issues as well as a few other things, I may get a SATA hd as they are faster.

But I am contemplating on wiping everything off and starting fresh on January 1, 2007

Kougar

hypr said:
Yea, I want to but I want to see what others will do before I act, $199 USD is a lot to drop for an OS. They won't even release the starter edition here because of the World Bank regulations...

Yes, there is a Starter Edition, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it. http://www.starter2007.com/

hypr said:
I am split on getting it, my video card, and virus scanner state that there may be issues as well as a few other things, I may get a SATA hd as they are faster.

But I am contemplating on wiping everything off and starting fresh on January 1, 2007

What is the video card? I've run full Areo Glass on an 9600XT, and run Vista without Areo Glass on an old PCI ATI 7000 card, in both cases with no apparent performance issues. I think the majority of AV companies already offer Vista compatible versions of their programs as well.

I am looking forward to Vista, the only reason I'm not using it now is I need XP for all the programs to review hardware with on my system. I see this whole debate as just a cycle, a great portion of the same things were said, on both sides of the fence, when XP was introduced 5+ years ago. I think it is time for a change, and the original XP code is old and has been poked/hacked/patched/modified more ways then I'd care to know. Vista was built from the ground up, which includes the networking stack.

Back in it's day XP required some moderate to serious computing power that left some out in the cold, and granted while Vista requires a bit more this time around I don't see it as any different. Users can stick with XP or upgrade as they please, although with the issue that gamers will be missing out on some serious additions to almost every game currently on the market, without DX10 to use with them.

Ignoring the aesthetics, I've found Vista to include a good deal of common sense in the interface changes that I quickly grew to miss when having to go back to XP, breadcrumbs being just one example. Having DX10 completely redo how the ATI/nVidia control panels work is a huge plus as well. It took some getting used to, but I only plan to use Vista... Any of those pre-RTM versions are good for free fo use until about June of 2007 anyway (Assuming ya helped test at least one of the beta versions), and RC2 on up isn't to bad. Anything pre-RC2 should be avoided though.

Finally, Microsoft has worked on crash recovery – WDDM is much more efficient at rescuing driver and/or hardware failures. If the display driver crashes, WDDM will just kill the process responsible for the crash, rather than causing the obligatory blue screen of death or operating system hang.
Taken from http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/11/30/directx10_future_of_pc_gaming/1.html It's  a very good read for any gamers out there.

Hasta la Vista, XP. :p

eb7w5yfe

Title Goes Here
I actually use Linux most of the time, but if I did use Windows I'd be tempted to upgrade to Vista. The feature I like the most is one you don't see mentioned too often: they've finally implemented I/O prioritization. You know how you can be playing some music, a movie, or a game, another program accesses the hard drive, and your music/movie/game stutters? That should be much less of a problem in Vista.

There has been CPU prioritization for quite a while. When it works correctly, the program you're using basically gets first pick of the available CPU cycles (to a point). The problem is that access to the hard drive has not been prioritized the same way, so if a program needs to load some more data, it has to wait in line along with all the other programs reading data. This is not the best situation: interactive programs should have a higher priority than ones running in the background, so that user interaction remains responsive.

Myoti

Thanks to the intership I'm in at my school, I got to play the beta. Main things I noticed:

-it's sleek and shiny (with alot of... black).
-start button is round for some reason.
-fancy new way of showing thumbnails in folders.
-Inkball.

So overall, no, I see no reason for getting it.