• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Anyone own a chicken (or more =P)

Secret

I has a questionnnn.
The other day I stopped by the feed bin and OMG the chicks were soooooo adorable! And fiesty =P one of them attempted (an so cutely failed) to peck my hand. lol.
I decided: I WANT!
Buuuuuuut. I'm not allowed to get any unless I can support them. Soooo.

my question:
If I bought two chicks and a rooster, would I be able to sell their eggs/chicks(?) and have enough to buy their feed for the month??

I had chickens once, but they were just pets back when we could do that kind of stuff and daddykins would be a doll and support them cause lil' Secret couldn't get a job. Therefore, I jsut knew you fed 'em, they laid eggs that didn't hatch at all, and that as that. *blinks* nothing more.
I don't want to dive into something without knowing all I can about it....

anyone?

KitsuneKit

My aunt has a farm with some chickens... I don't know much about them other than she let them roam around in a big pen...
...and that they are tasty.

Secret said:
I has a questionnnn.
The other day I stopped by the feed bin and OMG the chicks were soooooo adorable! And fiesty =P one of them attempted (an so cutely failed) to peck my hand. lol.
I decided: I WANT!
Buuuuuuut. I'm not allowed to get any unless I can support them. Soooo.

my question:
If I bought two chicks and a rooster, would I be able to sell their eggs/chicks(?) and have enough to buy their feed for the month??

I had chickens once, but they were just pets back when we could do that kind of stuff and daddykins would be a doll and support them cause lil' Secret couldn't get a job. Therefore, I jsut knew you fed 'em, they laid eggs that didn't hatch at all, and that as that. *blinks* nothing more.
I don't want to dive into something without knowing all I can about it....

anyone?

I loov baby chickens they are fun to nom on >:3 jk.
I've always wanted some because the babies are like lil floof lovecreatures. I've never owned any I just thought it was funny someone else wanted them as badly as me.
Do you want to buy two babies and one grown up rooster? o_O
Or all babies?
I'd imagine if you have connections or some kind of farmer's market you could sell them I don't know the intricacies of the chicken business though.

Secret

Tiarhlu said:
They're all over Key West. Goodness.

We actually had some long long ago. I must have been 4 or 5. I don't know where they came from, but we did have chickens for a while.

Lol, fun fun. ^.^

KitsuneKit said:
My aunt has a farm with some chickens... I don't know much about them other than she let them roam around in a big pen...
...and that they are tasty.

Lol! Yeah, chickens are yummy, but I dun know if I cold eat something I raised. I'm sure my dad will try and get one of em in a pot if I do get em and raise em. lol. Bad enough I told him I wanted a moo cow and he was like "Steak!" lol

Stevethefox said:
I loov baby chickens they are fun to nom on >:3 jk.
I've always wanted some because the babies are like lil floof lovecreatures. I've never owned any I just thought it was funny someone else wanted them as badly as me.
Do you want to buy two babies and one grown up rooster? o_O
Or all babies?
I'd imagine if you have connections or some kind of farmer's market you could sell them I don't know the intricacies of the chicken business though.

Hehe, yeah, their adorable lil things^.^
All babies *nods*
I'm going to try and bum a ride back to the Feed anster the guy again, lol. I'm curious to how many furs have chickens and get profit from em.

When I was living amongst the islanders of hawaii, wild chickens were rampant in the mountains, and you never messed with or they'd gouge your eyes out. And I don't want to become a blind fox. >.<

Secret

Dead-Zero said:
i used to have a rooster, it kicked ass ^^
unfortunately, mine and my friends chickens got eaten by a snake >.<

Awwwww. *hugs* evil snakey.
I had thirteen rabbits once and a dog came and picked em off one by one.

What do you expect I have trouble not nomming cute lil animals myself *licks chops* They need to stop looking so morselly.

Stevethefox said:
What do you expect I have trouble not nomming cute lil animals myself *licks chops* They need to stop looking so morselly.

I concur. XD Maybe in a few hundred years, they'll evolve poisonous barbs on their talons or something, making them dangerous to raise. Or they're breathe fire! O: Fire breathing, poisonous chickens...hmm...actually, that's not a bad idea for a pet. Count me in Secret. I want a mutated chicken for a pet.

Tarrock

Chicken are filithy.
They smell bad, and there crap is always wet and gets all over.
They tare up the ground.
Not to mention that roosters can be highly aggressive.

Kipper

I lived at a place where the owners had 2 chickens.. They have eggs with or without a rooster, but the two they had only had like 1 or 2 each month..

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Chicken make a lousy house pet!

Go to you're local CO-OP and talking to some farmers and making a trade off for the eggs and feed. If you can't find one while your there post a letter on the bulletin board with you're number and guarantied a farmer would be willing to do a trade with you. Chicken feed is inexpensive.

DarkMeW

All this depends on if you have the area to keep them of course, but the chickens I've had usually produced a couple eggs every few days during the summer/spring months, to several eggs in a single day. The feed for chickens doesn't cost all that much and for only a couple it would last a while, which you can stretch that out by using them as garbage disposals for most of house hold left overs. Now if you want them to nest for baby chicks they won't produce eggs for you, unless you incubate the eggs instead.

Making enough money off them to pay for feed might be possible but not likely with such a small amount of chickens. You also have to take into account the cost of pen fencing, clean up (if you live in the city you have to keep the pens very clean,) feeding, incubator (even the cost of building your own). So unless you plan of factoring raising them to eat with some lemon sauce, I wouldn't recommend it.

J

Jelly

Wait, I'm confused...do you want to breed chickens or just sell unfertilized eggs or...?

Secret

wrathofautumn said:
Stevethefox said:

I concur. XD Maybe in a few hundred years, they'll evolve poisonous barbs on their talons or something, making them dangerous to raise. Or they're breathe fire! O: Fire breathing, poisonous chickens...hmm...actually, that's not a bad idea for a pet. Count me in Secret. I want a mutated chicken for a pet.

*gigglefits* I nom my kittens ear and he looks at me like i'm insane =P

Hmmm. I'll make a list. If I manage to mutate a chicken, you'll be the first to know =P
lol.

greg-the-fox said:
Don't get a rooster unless you enjoy being woken at the crack of dawn. >_<

Lol, theres a bunch of roosters around here (in all the dark ominous yards I could easily write horrors about, lol). I wouldn't hear them even if they were in the room with me. lol.

Tarrock said:
Chicken are filithy.
They smell bad, and there crap is always wet and gets all over.
They tare up the ground.
Not to mention that roosters can be highly aggressive.

They're manageable, though. The crap dries out, the cage can be cleaned. a bit of work, but it'd be worth it, right? And they dun tear up the ground too bad. The rabbits were worse.

and roosters can be kicked =P.. hehe, no, I wouldn't kick it unless I had to. maybe i'll get lucky and get a rooster like the one I had for a month a bunch of years back, lol.

Kipper said:
I lived at a place where the owners had 2 chickens.. They have eggs with or without a rooster, but the two they had only had like 1 or 2 each month..

They do? *seriously needs to do some research* lol, interesting. When I had chickens, we had a rooster too, so I was't sure. But, I forgot everything I had known about them (almost nothing anyways).

Lobar said:
Chicken make a lousy house pet!

I have an acre and a... quarter or something. They wouldn't be in the house, lol.

sateva9822 said:
Go to you're local CO-OP and talking to some farmers and making a trade off for the eggs and feed. If you can't find one while your there post a letter on the bulletin board with you're number and guarantied a farmer would be willing to do a trade with you. Chicken feed is inexpensive.

CO-OP?
Trade doesn't sound like a bad idea, really. I hadn't thought of that. Thanksies! ^.^ *hugs*

DarkMeW said:
All this depends on if you have the area to keep them of course, but the chickens I've had usually produced a couple eggs every few days during the summer/spring months, to several eggs in a single day. The feed for chickens doesn't cost all that much and for only a couple it would last a while, which you can stretch that out by using them as garbage disposals for most of house hold left overs. Now if you want them to nest for baby chicks they won't produce eggs for you, unless you incubate the eggs instead.

Making enough money off them to pay for feed might be possible but not likely with such a small amount of chickens. You also have to take into account the cost of pen fencing, clean up (if you live in the city you have to keep the pens very clean,) feeding, incubator (even the cost of building your own). So unless you plan of factoring raising them to eat with some lemon sauce, I wouldn't recommend it.

Hmmm. Alrighty. I'll have to look into incubators if just eggs dun help at all.
For the pen, I might have the material right in my backyard. We've got a lot of stuff back there that might help. I live in the desert, so I dun think they'd complain much. Other people on the block have chickens (not teh type of people I want to talk to, though). Wait, building my own incubator? lol, is there a way to get the layout for one?
I'm still looking into it, chewing on it, but if it all works out, I might get more than two chickens. but that all depends on who/what/when/where/thelike.
thank you very very much for the help ^.^ *hug*

jellyhurwit said:
Wait, I'm confused...do you want to breed chickens or just sell unfertilized eggs or...?

Both

Poink said:
Chicken are superior race
I WISH I HAD ONE

LOL! what's keeping you from getten one?

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
my neigbors have chickens... they always flap up and chill out in the plum trees. One of their roosters escaped and lived in my yard for about a week befor it wandered back home.

A Co-Op is the place were farmers get there feed tools equiptment, ect.
I personally want a mini pot belly pig as a pet, Id name it Shnoshage, or a skunk, I would probally name it Rose:)

Secret

BijouxDeFoxxe said:
my neigbors have chickens... they always flap up and chill out in the plum trees. One of their roosters escaped and lived in my yard for about a week befor it wandered back home.

hehe, nice ^.^

sateva9822 said:
A Co-Op is the place were farmers get there feed tools equiptment, ect.
I personally want a mini pot belly pig as a pet, Id name it Shnoshage, or a skunk, I would probally name it Rose:)

Ahhhh, like the feed bin down the street *points two diff ways to teh two diff feeds* I'm gonna try and get to the feed store tomorrow, actually. One is just within walking distance, though it'll be humid since the rareness happened and we had a storm. ^.^

Secret

Poink said:
Secret said:
LOL! what's keeping you from getten one?

The house where I live :C
And my absence of garden

awwwwwww. I sowwy *pouts* That would suck *nods*