• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Appreciation thread for the new pride flag--

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
So while talking to my favorite furs, this came up. And I'm really stoked about the new pride flag--
new-pride-flag.jpg

It was created by Daniel Quasar (xe, xem, xyr) to represent the forward progress of the LBGTQA+ community.
Xey are raising money to get this flag mass produced and out there. I highly suggest checking it out--

The tri-color in the left corner stands for minority trans folk in the community.

I think its fitting also because of the history of Gay Pride in the United States. All queers should know their history, so I will provide a little snippet here for you.

A black trans woman, Martha P Johnson, was an activist and was credited for starting the riots at Stonewall in NYC. These riots sparked the conversation about LBGT rights because, at the end of the day, people's rights are never peacefully given. If people's rights are being denied, it is because of some oppressive power bearing down on them, and usually, this oppressive power never will peacefully relinquish what was not theirs to begin with.
Sylvia Rivera, a trans latinx, was also with Johnson and is also credited for a lot of action in the community. However, she was eventually murdered.​

Black and brown minority trans people have been erased from LBGT history for an egregiously long time. As an NB minority person myself, I'm really stoked about this flag~.

In the meantime, yall can collect some cool LBGT history things here if you want. I'm interested in what you might find. I'm quite sure there was some action before Johnson and Rivera, and action in other countries.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

I've had the flag in my avatar for ages, at least a year now.

i like this one as to me it covers all angles.

it's also one of the fastest ways to weed a conversation.

if someone has an issue with it they'll either leave the conversation or get so heated they break the rules.

either way they won't be a problem for very long.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I've had the flag in my avatar for ages, at least a year now.

i like this one as to me it covers all angles.

it's also one of the fastest ways to weed a conversation.

if someone has an issue with it they'll either leave the conversation or get so heated they break the rules.

either way they won't be a problem for very long.
I'm glad Daniel's been making leeway with it for the past year or more then =u=//

I'm kinda waiting for the day when it's widely accepted.

theWiitch

I appreciate the hell out of this, we needed one to include everyone.

Le Chat Nécro

most thugged-out dope hoe
Hmmm.... to be brutally honest here.... I like the original one better.... as there was enough colors on there already, IMO.
That's actually not the original original. The actual original from 1978 had 8 colors, each with a different meaning- pink was for sex, red for life, orange for healing, yellow for sunlight, green for nature, turquoise for magic, indigo for harmony and violet for spirit.
713awv9QsJL._SX466_.jpg

Over time, the flag was modified for various reasons and I think this new version is a fine addition to a vibrant history.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
That's actually not the original original. The actual original from 1978 had 8 colors, each with a different meaning- pink was for sex, red for life, orange for healing, yellow for sunlight, green for nature, turquoise for magic, indigo for harmony and violet for spirit.
713awv9QsJL._SX466_.jpg

Over time, the flag was modified for various reasons and I think this new version is a fine addition to a vibrant history.
=u=//
Apparently, this was credited to Gilbert Baker who only got $1k for the flag (in 1970s dollars, lol. It'd go a bit farther back then).
Heres a source-

According to Baker's memoir, he was commissioned by the first openly gay city official in San Fran to make it. Nice bit of queer history~.

Le Chat Nécro

=u=//
Apparently, this was credited to Gilbert Baker who only got $1k for the flag (in 1970s dollars, lol. It'd go a bit farther back then).
Heres a source-

According to Baker's memoir, he was commissioned by the first openly gay city official in San Fran to make it. Nice bit of queer history~.
Yup. He purposefully never copyrighted the design because he was committed to making a flag for everyone.

jffry890

With the seemingly infinite number of sexualities, having any arbitrary number of colors to represent everyone is ridiculous. The rainbow covers all colors (in theory) so that should be good enough already. The seven bar flag is fine the way it is because it's easier to manufacture that rather than fading through the range of colors. Possible digitally, impractical physically.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Yup. He purposefully never copyrighted the design because he was committed to making a flag for everyone.
Thats great~. I was talking to some of my favorite furs about gay grandpas and grandmas. -And how there are so few of them for egregious reasons.
Pride kinda gets dominated by younger people, but, I think it's real important to recognize and listen to people who had to survive a lot of bullshit. They have a lot of great wisdom to impart to us.

I dunno what Daniel is gonna do with this design. If xey decide to make money off it, as another starving artist, thats great too. This will give xem the means to create more great things.

Le Chat Nécro

Thats great~. I was talking to some of my favorite furs about gay grandpas and grandmas. -And how there are so few of them for egregious reasons.
Pride kinda gets dominated by younger people, but, I think it's real important to recognize and listen to people who had to survive a lot of bullshit. They have a lot of great wisdom to impart to us.

I dunno what Daniel is gonna do with this design. If xey decide to make money off it, as another starving artist, thats great too. This will give xem the means to create more great things.
We must respect our elder gays. :)
I'm definitely pro supporting queer creators making queer designs.

With the seemingly infinite number of sexualities, having any arbitrary number of colors to represent everyone is ridiculous. The rainbow covers all colors (in theory) so that should be good enough already. The seven bar flag is fine the way it is because it's easier to manufacture that rather than fading through the range of colors. Possible digitally, impractical physically.
The colors do not represent individual sexualities. As it stands, the standard rainbow flag is red for life, orange for healing, yellow for sunlight, green for nature, blue for harmony and purple for spirit. The original was 8 stripes, but was moved to 7 since hot pink was a hard fabric color to get in the 70's, and then down to 6 for symmetry reasons. The number of stripes included was never about representing everyone, since the flag as a whole was meant to be that, not the individual colors.

The added chevron to this new flag are just meant to draw attention to minority groups within the LGBTQIA+ minority. The blue, pink, and white are literally just taken from the trans pride flag and the black and brown stripes were first introduced in 2017 by the city of Philadelphia. I feel like it's less about fixing an inclusion problem with the current flag, and more about reminding people that the community is supposed to be inclusive to these groups.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
TBH I think the color scheme of this new one is kind of ugly. It just clashes with the bright saturated colors and looks off to me.

I prefer the original design.

jffry890

I feel like it's less about fixing an inclusion problem with the current flag, and more about reminding people that the community is supposed to be inclusive to these groups.

A community of love and acceptance shouldn't have to be "reminded" to be inclusive to people. I think that says a lot about unspoken problems within the community.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
A community of love and acceptance shouldn't have to be "reminded" to be inclusive to people. I think that says a lot about unspoken problems within the community.
Yep! Thats the point.
People have to be constantly reminded where they came from and what they should be about. I made this thread cause I felt like this flag marks a real Sankofa moment.
It is very wise to go back as a community and retrieve what you have lost.

However, it seems like you have some sort of grievances. Are you part of the community, friend?

D

Deleted member 111470

at this point, it's becoming about who can come up with more ways to stand out, rather than acceptance

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
at this point, it's becoming about who can come up with more ways to stand out, rather than acceptance
Insightful...?
I mean, are you even part of the community or are you on the outside looking in.

Catdog

I caused a little stir.
I really like the design!! I tend to just use the flags relevant to me rather than a single standalone flag myself (trans/nb/pansexual or bi flags) but I like the inclusive nature of that flag.

Le Chat Nécro

I mean, every community has problems and we are no different. I've already talked about some of them in my pride month thread. It's less unspoken and more overlooked by non-queers.

quoting_mungo

I don't feel up to opining on the flag as such, but would like to hear any thoughts you have about the crossover (best word I can think of) with demi flags in symbology. Best interpretation I guess is by using the wedge symbology already present in demi flags it's creating some demi inclusion. At worst (ish?), it could take the symbology of the black wedge of the demi flags some dark places.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I don't feel up to opining on the flag as such, but would like to hear any thoughts you have about the crossover (best word I can think of) with demi flags in symbology. Best interpretation I guess is by using the wedge symbology already present in demi flags it's creating some demi inclusion. At worst (ish?), it could take the symbology of the black wedge of the demi flags some dark places.

I think that these designs risk looking a little cluttered. A simple design that promotes the idea of inclusion might have a greater endurance as a symbol.

It's a bit like with the lgbt acronym having an increased number of letters appended to it; failure to include extra letters can sometimes be perceived as a snub to those who aren't mentioned, but the consequence is that the acronym grows increasingly complex.