• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are feral furs more likely to be jerks than anthro furs?

SwiftDog

Smdh
Banned
Now, here is an interesting question. I myself am a feral. And I am quite sure of myself, sometimes condescending, generally hard to get along with. I get that. But what I don't understand is why many other feral furs are like this. It is *especially* true for feral discord server owners, which is who I'm really basing this on. All (literally all) of the feral discord servers available are invariably run by absolute wankers. Attention and power hungry, they run miniature sex cults and immediately quell any and all dissent, and are some of the most authoritarian chat rooms around.

Any idea why this is, or is it simply the type of personality required? You have to be an asshole to want to run a server fetishizing animal art? Might be the best explanation.

D

Deleted member 82554

The only reason why they could possibly be bigger jerks is because they get more discrimination from the fandom in general based on their interests or beliefs..

Kinare

RAWR
I can't say I've ever observed this myself, though I've not come into contact with many who consider themselves feral only.

I would say I have seen people be asshats when it comes to fetishes they feel they need to defend, so your theory of needing to be an asshole to run a server for fetish art may not be that off. Ferals may especially be defensive considering art depicting ferals doing the act is viewed as zoophilia, something the fandom is viewed down for and thus the rest of us wish didn't exist.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
Any idea why this is, or is it simply the type of personality required? You have to be an asshole to want to run a server fetishizing animal art? Might be the best explanation.

If you're running a server centered around somthing that's morally and ethically very debatable, yes, then you're usually an asshole.

quoting_mungo

I think it depends on your circle. Sometimes there will be multiple sub-communities associated with a particular interest with very little crossover, and that will change perceptions depending on which one you have interactions with. I also think that to some degree, what you say about Discord server owners, plural, is a key factor.

Whether or not the first one started is rainbows and sunshine, chances are subsequent ones will be created by people who in some way think they can do better. This could be either because the extant one is actually bad, because they’re chafing against some rule, or because of something else. At some point, the likelihood of the reason involving ego is going to rise (because other reasons would have already been covered by existing servers).

These things also change over time. When I was an ikkle new furry, most or all dragons I encountered shared some very similar (unattractive) personality traits. This no longer seems to be the case. The demographic has shifted.

Either way, what you’re looking at is correlation, and I highly doubt there’s any causation involved. (Also consider that people with iffy social skills, as are common in fandom, are liable to display that lack of social fluency more when feeling flustered or defensive. So if people keep picking on “feral” (I don’t personally like that word being given that meaning) furs, you’ll probably be seeing more of their social inadequacies than you would see Vanilla Vole’s.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 82554

yah but you're not an asshole feral so you're good.
I don't know fam, his response was kind of arseholish. To me it came across as if Ovi was trying to censor free speech, and that's just not on. Feral furs is a controversial topic and people will discuss it regardless of how others may feel.

Just saying...

Chomby

It's Spooky Month!
Okay here's my own theory:

I think many feral furs are assholes because many of them are internally misanthropic. They think that because they stay truer to an animal's anatomy and behavior, they are better than anthro furs. Like they think they have a stronger connection to animals.

I don't have any issue with ferals or feral smut btw, and I am not saying that all feral furs are assholes, but I've definitely seen a trend in my own experiences. Many are incredibly egotistical and controlling.

Last edited:

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
I'm a feral aswell. The question If I'm a jerk is to be judged by others, I guess.

kiroku

OP is only talking about feral attitudes and not the great debate :tm: between anthro and feral.
In my experience, yeah, ferals do stand out more "strongly" than others. But this can be also be that feral characters are easier to steal/pretend as and not every feral avatar you see on the internet is exactly a representation of the community.

Maybe anthro characters are "nicer" because they're more human-like and easier to empathize with and ferals can do whatever because what are you really going to tell a dog?

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Can I be an idiot for a moment? <grin-blush>

What is the difference between "feral" and "otherkin" in this context? Or for that matter, how does that contrast with a "non-feral" as the sonas are all animorphic animals ?

I'm not as familiar with the term and just want to try and understand exactly what we're talking about here. <giggles and hides his face behind his tail embarrassed>

Thanks, and proceed. <shyly backs up away from the conversation meat>

D

Deleted member 132067

[...] they run miniature sex cults [...]
Isn't that what most furry server owners do?

Anyway, I'm sure there's not a big difference between the rudeness of anthro and feral furs, not as far as I noticed. If it makes you feel any better I can hurl a few insults your way to change the statistics <3

SwiftDog

Smdh
Banned
Can I be an idiot for a moment? <grin-blush>

What is the difference between "feral" and "otherkin" in this context? Or for that matter, how does that contrast with a "non-feral" as the sonas are all animorphic animals ?

I'm not as familiar with the term and just want to try and understand exactly what we're talking about here. <giggles and hides his face behind his tail embarrassed>

Thanks, and proceed. <shyly backs up away from the conversation meat>

Feral in this context just means furries using characters that are wild-type in nature. Like instead of having a cheetah that walks on their hindlegs, they walk on all fours and chase antelope. Etc.

What's interesting is that feral are very likely to be otherkin. I think there is a strong crossover between people who believe/feel they are animals, and people who just like playing animal characters.

Isn't that what most furry server owners do?

Anyway, I'm sure there's not a big difference between the rudeness of anthro and feral furs, not as far as I noticed. If it makes you feel any better I can hurl a few insults your way to change the statistics <3

Ahh, yes, except insulting me is what I like. The more insults I receive, the more attention I'm getting, and the bigger my ego is. Hate and love are closely related emotions after all, so bring it on owo

SwiftDog

Smdh
Banned
If you're running a server centered around somthing that's morally and ethically very debatable, yes, then you're usually an asshole.

Yes, but you don't seem to understand the difference between reality and fiction, which I find quite concerning. You should probably avoid violent video games, don't want that stuff getting to your head.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
This is a curious question: Over the years, I have met some feral furs with pretty 'bold' personalities :p In part, such egos may well be fueled by the way a sector of the fandom views them in a controversial light. To me, fictional animals are fictional animals; Bambi, The Lion King and so many other cartoons near and dearer to furries feature them, as does art and illustration, and I don't see anything unethical about it. I've never quite seen what the fuss is all about, with finding feral furs 'immoral'.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Feral in this context just means furries using characters that are wild-type in nature. Like instead of having a cheetah that walks on their hindlegs, they walk on all fours and chase antelope. Etc.

What's interesting is that feral are very likely to be otherkin. I think there is a strong crossover between people who believe/feel they are animals, and people who just like playing animal characters.

I see, so their character in essence "thinks" more primal'ly and instinctively then? Yeah, I can see where crossover with otherkin would fit right in...it would feel more natural to them.

As for the OP's point of controlling assholes or not, I think it might just be coincidence. After all, if the character is the type that doesn't want to be "civilized", then it stands to reason that their territorial natures would kick in, and their civil tact and politeness would seem less and less necessary. They would want their character to be the portal to free them from that limitation in life, and thus as soon as the human mask comes off they simply decide to lose the control that humanity brings on purpose. They COULD restrain themselves and be polite, but it would feel at odds with the mental and social freedom gained by instinctual feral behaviour.

By almost literal definition, that's a self-absorbed un-empathetic asshole. <giggle> Note that this is not relevant to all feral or otherkin in the slightest...only those that chose to let the civility slide on purpose as an escuse to be a dick. I'm otherkin and never felt the need to be an asshole or controlling because of it. Your feral self is still yourself, and if all your animal side wants to do it chase and take and snarl, then that's an issue to work on probably. <grin>

Now naturally they could be NICE animals and simply be feral and primal but maintain the joy and curious aspects and try hard to suppress the "roar" side so to speak, but again humans are dicks sometimes and it doesn't take a lot to give some people what they see as permission to do whatever the hell they want!

SwiftDog

Smdh
Banned
I see, so their character in essence "thinks" more primal'ly and instinctively then? Yeah, I can see where crossover with otherkin would fit right in...it would feel more natural to them.

As for the OP's point of controlling assholes or not, I think it might just be coincidence. After all, if the character is the type that doesn't want to be "civilized", then it stands to reason that their territorial natures would kick in, and their civil tact and politeness would seem less and less necessary. They would want their character to be the portal to free them from that limitation in life, and thus as soon as the human mask comes off they simply decide to lose the control that humanity brings on purpose. They COULD restrain themselves and be polite, but it would feel at odds with the mental and social freedom gained by instinctual feral behaviour.

By almost literal definition, that's a self-absorbed un-empathetic asshole. <giggle> Note that this is not relevant to all feral or otherkin in the slightest...only those that chose to let the civility slide on purpose as an escuse to be a dick. I'm otherkin and never felt the need to be an asshole or controlling because of it. Your feral self is still yourself, and if all your animal side wants to do it chase and take and snarl, then that's an issue to work on probably. <grin>

Now naturally they could be NICE animals and simply be feral and primal but maintain the joy and curious aspects and try hard to suppress the "roar" side so to speak, but again humans are dicks sometimes and it doesn't take a lot to give some people what they see as permission to do whatever the hell they want!

That's a real interesting take on things, I like it. I think we can take things a step further: discontent with society, possibly in general, and being an animal, a literal animal, is an ideal escape from that. In fact I've often thought like that, even as a child, I wanted to be a dog or a cat or such. The idea has always had a fair degree of appeal to me, since as my life progressed, things were often hard for me. So still the idea of being a wild animal roaming around in the forest, far away from human civilization often felt a great way to escape.

Discontentedness with society can certainly contribute to someone being a bit of a jerk, there are likely some overall resentment issues going on there.