• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are Foxes The "Dumb Blondes" Of The Fandom?

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
I've never heard it put quite like that but foxes are arguably the most traditional species in the fandom due to robin hood; lots of us recognize the early cartoon as foundational and thus the fox was the first furry character we saw as cool and relatable. Thanks to zootopia the next/current gen of furs are likely to have the same experience.

The result of this is that foxes as a character are highly develop, always being portrayed as smart, clever, sly, adventurous, daring, etc, all of which is attractive to someone looking for a species. Compared to that, my chosen species, the Jackal, is all but unknown in popular media so it's difficult for someone to be attracted to them, or indeed exposed to them at all. I'd say the cat, dog, and perhaps the wolf have pretty good exposure but beyond that you're on your own.

So, is a fox sona generic dumb default etc? No. It's just very popular, for better or worse.

quoting_mungo

I think it depends on what circles you move in. I've seen a good measure of the "slutty fox"/"bottom fucktoy" stereotype, which can but doesn't have to come with some degree of bimbo airheadedness. Most of the time in my experience, it's to some degree played up for laughs (there's a story by I want to say Kyell Gold about "the fox with the broken sex drive" which IMO is a hilarious pastiche/homage to traditional fables, but which my husband hates because it plays to stereotypes and that's not a kind of humor he appreciates very much). There's enough other archetypes to play into out there, though, that if it's not your thing you can always do you and no one's got footing to tell you that you're "foxing wrong" or whatever.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I think it depends on what circles you move in. I've seen a good measure of the "slutty fox"/"bottom fucktoy" stereotype, which can but doesn't have to come with some degree of bimbo airheadedness. Most of the time in my experience, it's to some degree played up for laughs (there's a story by I want to say Kyell Gold about "the fox with the broken sex drive" which IMO is a hilarious pastiche/homage to traditional fables, but which my husband hates because it plays to stereotypes and that's not a kind of humor he appreciates very much). There's enough other archetypes to play into out there, though, that if it's not your thing you can always do you and no one's got footing to tell you that you're "foxing wrong" or whatever.
The interesting thing about me and my fursona is that I'm not a bottom. I'm actually a switch in most cases, and am the designated dom in my relationship.
Although I will sometimes say that there are some days where I can't help but not be bred and I demand to be dominated, lol.... XD

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
How about all the stereotypes? Witty and seductive. Oozing charisma and a sultry little bottom with some very noticeable assets. Not to mention, just oh so clever, I've got it all bay bee, right here in one magnificently cliche package.
I should be more ashamed of being a living stereotype, but when life hands you lemons, well I just add a little vodka and make it a date.

Last edited:

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
How about all the stereotypes? Witty and seductive. Oozing charisma and a sultry little bottom with some very noticeable assets. Not to mention, just oh so clever, I've got in all bay bee, right here in one magnificently cliche package.
I should be more ashamed of being a living stereotype, but when life hands you lemons, well I just add a little vodka and make it a date.
Assets? owo

Brooks Dotson

Lost in Transition
I've never heard it put quite like that but foxes are arguably the most traditional species in the fandom due to robin hood; lots of us recognize the early cartoon as foundational and thus the fox was the first furry character we saw as cool and relatable. Thanks to zootopia the next/current gen of furs are likely to have the same experience.

The result of this is that foxes as a character are highly develop, always being portrayed as smart, clever, sly, adventurous, daring, etc, all of which is attractive to someone looking for a species. Compared to that, my chosen species, the Jackal, is all but unknown in popular media so it's difficult for someone to be attracted to them, or indeed exposed to them at all. I'd say the cat, dog, and perhaps the wolf have pretty good exposure but beyond that you're on your own.

So, is a fox sona generic dumb default etc? No. It's just very popular, for better or worse.
Not me though because i never saw robin hood and personally don't get why people made them out to be so popular otherwise, although this is coming from a scalie so don't tanke my word for it :p

Brooks Dotson

Lost in Transition
Speaking of which i wonder what made Robin hood so great anyways? Just looks like another generic disney animated movie, like aladdin :confused:

Z

ZeroVoidTime

I am more amazed Dalmatian furries are not stereotyped as slutty as an infamous artist on the main site puts one of their characters into depraved smutty situations. :] Not that I watch this artist or anything...... *ahem* Besides that I am more amazed that fox furries are not stereotyped as tricksters or trickster mentors as that would be more in line with most classical mythology around the world.

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
I guess every fandom has its sterotypes. I've seen a lot of memes that put foxes (and sometimes hyenas) in a pretty bad light along with the "femboy fox" jokes. But I wouldn't take what wikifur says seriously when it comes to their opinions since each page is usually only updated by a handful of people at best. I wouldn't worry too much about it

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Ah, I've known a wide variety of very wonderful foxes! I think, as a switch, what I love about them, is their ability to turn the tables. To be tricky, and to love getting the upper paw here and again, and then, getting in trouble for it :p Thus, I'd say even the stereotype about foxes being easily submissive is not wholly true; many know the best of both worlds, and go about things in a way that is at once sensual, comedic, and creative.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I guess every fandom has its sterotypes. I've seen a lot of memes that put foxes (and sometimes hyenas) in a pretty bad light along with the "femboy fox" jokes. But I wouldn't take what wikifur says seriously when it comes to their opinions since each page is usually only updated by a handful of people at best. I wouldn't worry too much about it
Lol, uh, I actually kinda liked being part of a species known for being promiscuous idiots. XD
And, femboy foxes, you say?
Femboi_Foxes.jpg