• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are fur cons as bad as some people make them out to be?

SparkyWolf

I'm relatively new to the fandom, but I've been to several Fur-meets and such. And when I posted the thread asking for tips on fur-meet conduct last month, I got 'mixed' responses. Some people (Not gonna name names, you know who you are), were eluding to the potential for... Things I wasn't going to the meet to find. But when I got there, I found everyone (probably 15 some odd people) I talked to was quite nice, and in fact I had several intellectual discussions with some people there. There was no talk of yiff, no creepy or fandangos people, none of that. And I've been back sense then and found the same to be true. I've heard talk of how "Bad" fur cons are, is that true? I have no indication of that, but I know rumors originate from someplace. So have I been lucky? Are cons far different from meets? Whats the story? And don't go trolling me, I wasn't born yesterday.

dirtypaws

STRETCH ARMSTRONG
i've been to several, and i think you're underestimating how big they are. It's a get-together, and with any get-together you're going to have people who go for all different reasons. i have friends who go to score, friends who go to do drugs, friends who go to fursuit, and people like me who go to just catch up with people you don't get to see every day. There's a little bit of everything there.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
No, people like to over react about things that are different. I'm going to one next week and it's going to be a blast.

vermillion

Banned
Banned
You have to realize that most of the people on these forums are self-loathing cunts who slit their wrists and hate themselves everyday WAAAHHHH I HATE FURRIES FURRIES ARE BAD I'M A BRAINWASHED MEMBER OF SOCIETY.
In reality, meets and cons can be pleasant environments.

Crunchy_Bat

Incoherent Babble Master
You have to realize that most of the people on these forums are self-loathing cunts who slit their wrists and hate themselves everyday WAAAHHHH I HATE FURRIES FURRIES ARE BAD I'M A BRAINWASHED MEMBER OF SOCIETY.

You are crazy in a nutshell.

the only thing reasonable about that statement is that cons can be pleasant environments.

ZettaBit

Caffeine Addict
RF was fun even though I did not know anyone there, but the new friends that I made there made it quite the experience. Even being the introverted guy that I am, I managed to let loose and have fun. I am really looking forward to next week.

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox

Awww aren't you just a sweet heart <3
As for The OPs question no cons aren't as bad people on here like to joke around so dont take everything we say seriously

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
What you don't want gay "fun"?

But in all seriousness I doubt it is all that bad. Like any con there are creepers but you can pretty much say that about any event. I will eventually go to a fur con but mostly just to see and interact with all the suiters. Thinking about getting my own suit but want to make sure I enjoy the atmosphere first.

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
It's not fun w/o friends, but just go to one and find out for yourself. It's almost exactly like an anime or comic book convention. You've got a dealer room where artists sell their work or take commissions along with a shitload of other people selling comics, merch, dragon dildos, etc. Panels on all kinds of stuff and hotel room parties to crash.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
The bashing of furcons doesn't make sense to me. Everyone goes to have fun, and only to have fun, so of course it's going to be fun. There will be a share of weirdos and assholes, and that's what you'll hear about, no doubt. People always forget to mention the good parts.

I've only been to FC and I will be attending it next week, and while it was a bit of a shock the first year I attended (I didn't even consider myself a part of this fandom), the things I hear about it are blown out of proportion. No, you're not going to be raped and no, not everyone who attends is a delusional pervert.

It's insulting to the more... sane folk who attend.

Joey

Cons are always worth it. I wanted to attend FC this year, but I'm saving my money for Califur.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
Not nearly as bad as people say...things do get a little creepy at times, but that's every convention in general regardless of the fandom.

SparkyWolf

Awww aren't you just a sweet heart <3
As for The OPs question no cons aren't as bad people on here like to joke around so don't take everything we say seriously

More or lees what I thought. People on FAF (And I think most forums in general) LOVE to exaggerate/troll/not take stuff seriously, so you have to learn to take stuff with a grain of salt. I'm going to be going to a con in September as a member as the photography staff/security staff, so I think I'm pretty safe. Also Someone should go get Torj on here, this is the sort of thread is what he excels at.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

You know most of the members here are being facetious when they say that right?

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
I've never been on a furry con and I'll (most probably) never be, but I can tell you - basing my experience on the at least 20 fantasy cons - that there are furry cons and furry cons.

On some of the cons you were having the people of the age of 25-40+ discussing literature, trends, art and books with the authors and people who were into reenactment and mature RPG. And on some of the cons it was neverending party and teens fucking and taking drugs/drinking alcohol in the tents on the lawn in front of the con building.

It all depends on the con and the people who are organising/supervising it.

My counsel? Ask people who were attending to the said con before and make reconaissance.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I know, and it's bugging me. :-(

It just makes a little more sense to wait until Joey is done before I go to another con.
Makes sense, and you'll save money on gas.

Welp, see ya at Califur!

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
I've been to several ACs and it was a blast. The weirdest shit I've seen are some creepy fursuits.

I've heard horror stories of some cons though.

Mighty_Mohawk_Monster

"the coolest"
I went to furry fiesta for the first time last year, it was pretty cool, one thing that bothered me was this one guy who just sat in the corner of the lounge drawing; same guy, same spot, every time I went down there, no matter what. Maybe he was like a moderator or something, but that doesn't explain how he's always there or why he has his full computer set-up. like, why did you even come here?