• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are human beings animals?

Animals or not?

• Total voters

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
From a strictly biological perspective of course we are but when moralists, psychologists, sociologists, priests, philosophers etc. start talking, depending on the argument we aren't.

What do you think or believe? State your opinions as to what we are and why outside of a merely biological context.

JadeFire

Mmm...gunpowder...
Yes, we are. We are, however, the only sapient animals that we're aware of, so we still get points for that.

Enwon

Nihilistic Atheist
Humans are animals. All psychology and the aspects of the human "soul" can be explained through the actions of chemicals and neurons in the brain. There really isn't much explanation to humanity outside of the biological context, unless one adds religion or some other external form of thought to it. Humans are merely animals who have evolved the ability to give their own meanings to things, such as their species.

FoxPhantom

Yes and No, in the way I think, we are acting like animals through primal instinct, yet at the same time, we thrive off of today's society.

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
Yes. We are not a higher species, however, as we don't have balance in our society. Other animals (such as primates, wolves, or lions) are clearly much more balanced. They eat, they fight for dominance, and they have babies. Humans rape, kill, maim, torture, etc. etc. I'm so proud. :<

Sauvignon

aynil
Yes. We are not a higher species, however, as we don't have balance in our society. Other animals (such as primates, wolves, or lions) are clearly much more balanced. They eat, they fight for dominance, and they have babies. Humans rape, kill, maim, torture, etc. etc. I'm so proud. :<

Other animals kill, rape, main and torture their own kind. They just accept it as the circle of life, while us humans have to apply our morals to it.

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
Other animals kill, rape, main and torture their own kind. They just accept it as the circle of life, while us humans have to apply our morals to it.

They do it because they need to survive. We do it because we're fucking bored.

You're all wrong.
Humans are animals because we function like other animals: We must eat, sleep, and fuck to survive. Just because we possess traits that are unique to other animals doesn't mean we're separate from the animal kingdom itself (in fact it's the unique traits of animals that cause speciation).

Yes, we are. We are, however, the only sapient animals that we're aware of, so we still get points for that.
Because if we can't be proud of our giant maiming claws we can at least be proud of our evolved intelligence.

Yes and No, in the way I think, we are acting like animals through primal instinct, yet at the same time, we thrive off of today's society.
Thriving off society is instinctual. Humans aren't loners as a species.

wtf is balance? There's never balance in nature, that's why it's always changing.

Last edited:

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Fighter of the Nightman
Biologically yes, mentally no.

Tally

They do it because they need to survive. We do it because we're fucking bored.

So animals play with their prey because they... need to survive?
They hunt something, injure it and then leave without eating it because they... need to survive?

And guess what, if someone robs someone on the street and takes whatever they had in their wallet, it probably is for survival.

So oh noes, other animals are not better than humans!!1!

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
So animals play with their prey because they... need to survive?
They hunt something, injure it and then leave without eating it because they... need to survive?

And guess what, if someone robs someone on the street and takes whatever they had in their wallet, it probably is for survival.

So oh noes, other animals are not better than humans!!1!

True. I don't know that humans are "better" than animals, though.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
yes, we are. we act by primal instincts, too just like any other critter out there.
also, i look at it from this perspective: every animal has a "feature" that makes it special. birds can fly and have awesome vision, a fish can breathe under water, sharks can sense electric signals with their nose and we are sentient. with our huge brain we can actually manipulate our surroundings to our own advantage

Maisuki

@OP:

By requesting that the results be based off "pure biology," you may have skewed what could have been an accurate assessment of people's opinions, thus defeating the purpose of a survey.

Fay V

Lost to this world
We are animals. Other animals are intelligent, look at any number of experiments with corvids, or apes. Other animals are even better at us in some intelligence tests. For example there are seals that solve certain IQ tests faster than the average human. Chimps have amazing memory in some cases. We are not unique in our emotions. People love to whine about how humans are the most inhuman and will rape, have wars, blah blah blah and are the only species to do it. We aren't. Other species have wars, other species kill just for the sake of it, take a look at dolphins sometime. Those are some mean mammals.
There's even research that shows dolphins understand basic grammar and how the position of words in a sentence will change the meaning. There's theories that dolphins, cuttlefish, and octopi have a language of their own, however basic.
Other animals have tools and many other "human" accomplishments.

the only thing I can think of that we have and they do not, is a writing system, a way to preserve things without word of mouth. Go us!

Fay V

Lost to this world
Aposable (sp?) thumbs. 'Nuff said.
Opposable. A quality shared by old world monkies, all great apes, pandas and opossums.

Also on the list with opposable digits (thought not technically thumbs) Koalas, a species of frog, and I'm pretty sure every bird species has at least one opposable digit on the feet.

Tuss

Stoopid Scalebutt
Yes. We have nipples and hair of some sort, therefore are mammals, therefore we are animals.

Anyone who thinks not should be slapped by science.

Aremay

Armour-Plated Centrist
We are, biologically, animals. But we often try to rise above that - to be, as Terry Pratchett said; "where the falling angel meets the rising ape." We like to think we're superior; even if we are freakishly hairless, pink, defenceless sacks of delicious mush bumbling around on just two limbs. I'd take the OP and say that moralists etc try and ask if we're animalistic as opposed to animals per say.

L

LizardKing

We're animals with CPU and RAM upgrades :V

Plus some much bettermore complex programming

Love!

Banned
Banned
we're animals who haven't sorted out all our conflicting instincts yet
given a few more centuries of evolution we won't even need to wonder about this

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
Humans are minerals.