• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are people interested in history?

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Good day to you sir/madam.

Lately i have observed that more and more people hardly give attention to their history and consider it sometimes almost like fantasy and not important thing at all. i have also met people that are really into history of their origins and also other nations/events/religions but there weren't too many of them.

Just out of clear curiosity i would like to ask what is your opinion about a history. How do you view history? As something that happened and is gone or like me are you fascinated in it?

Have a great day

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
History, for better or for worse, is there as clear indications on what to do and what not to do. What roads to take, and which to avoid.

History is there to learn from so we don't make the same mistakes done in the past.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
History, for better or for worse, is there as clear indications on what to do and what not to do. What roads to take, and which to avoid.

History is there to learn from so we don't make the same mistakes done in the past.

I could not say it better myself.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
I'm ignorant on a lot of facets of history, but it's fun to read about none the less. So damn many nuances to take into consideration too.

There's just so much you can read up on/listen in on in one day. :p

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I'm ignorant on a lot of facets of history, but it's fun to read about none the less. So damn many nuances to take into consideration too.

There's just so much you can read up on/listen in on in one day. :p

History for me is greater good. Discovering history of my nation motivated me to quit hard stuff. It puts a pride in me and understanding history of other nations allows me to stay respectful to others and understanding their point of view in national disputes and staying safe when facing men from countries that openly hate my country for (insert reason here). Unfortunately it happened already few times.
Also it gives me more ideas for drawings :D

Galatur René

Pantsuit Batty Vampire Lady
I am into history, though I'm mostly interested in religions and myths of bygone civilizations, I will look into the history of those civilizations as well. Else I won't get the appropriate context for the myths.
The first part of my username, in fact, is a reference to ancient Sumerian history, particularly pre-Assyrian Mesopotamian concepts of "me" (pronounced "meh") as well as being referenced in some myths of Sumeria as well as being a title within the Sumerian culture.
The concept of the Galatur was wiped out when ancient Mesopotamia was invaded by Assyria and a lot of cultural things changed.
Such as, Inanna (goddess of love and, to a lesser extent, war) became Inanna/Ishtar, became more warlike, and had to magically grow a beard now when she was going to lead people into combat which made sense given all the other aspects of ancient Mesopotamian culture that were erased by the Assyrian invasion... "Gay Pride" marches were not a modern invention. There was a parade to Inanna in which men would dress as women and women would dress as men in celebration of the Kurgarra and the Galatur, two genderless beings created from the divine essence that Enki found... under his fingernails, decending into the Land of No Return to bring Inanna back from the dead.
The marches were changed and only men crossdressed after the Assyrian takeover.

Last edited:

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I am into history, though I'm mostly interested in religions and myths of bygone civilizations, I will look into the history of those civilizations as well. Else I won't get the appropriate context for the myths.
The first part of my username, in fact, is a reference to ancient Sumerian history, particularly pre-Assyrian Mesopotamian concepts of "me" (pronounced "meh") as well as being referenced in some myths of Sumeria as well as being a title within the Sumerian culture.

Ahh the ancient history. Personaly I rarely go back more than 500a.d and focus more on Europe up to Second world war but it seems to be very interesting section. If you ever would like to have historical discussion or to share knowledge i am always open for one.
If you are into mythology i would like to suggest you slightly overlooked mythology. A Slavic mythology. if you have played witcher series you deffinitely encountered many creatures from Slavic mythology. For beggining you could take a look at "Mr Twardowski and the devil" legend but that's only a suggestion.
(also excuse me if i misunderstood something, im not native English speaker)

EmpressCiela

The Empress has Returned
Just out of clear curiosity i would like to ask what is your opinion about a history. How do you view history? As something that happened and is gone or like me are you fascinated in it?
Oh, I'm way too obsessed with history! To me, it's like a constantly rewritten of the memento of the successes and failures of the victors of Man, as well as their core beliefs and doctrines. There's so much to explore and question, especially when you factor in Mythology.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Geological history! C:
Well, fuck me. That's the topic I've been looking to get into these past couple of weeks.

Have any good videos and/or articles and such on the topic?

I

Infrarednexus

History is important. It inspires us to learn more about the world and better improve the future.

I

Infrarednexus

And created National Parks. I love National Parks.

Wish I could bring him back from the dead to knock some sense into the greedy businessmen who make attempts to get their grimy little hands into the National Parks.
I plane to work with wildlife in a national park when I graduate. I'll be sure to keep an eye on any crafty businessmen that wonder by. It's what Teddy would have wanted.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I'm mostly interested in European history and the enlightenment during the 18th century. Would've been one hell of a time to be alive.

Mind if i ask which events exactly and which area? or did you meant entire land?

Wolfstin

I view history as a reminder of learning for the mistakes made, what we can accomplish with the great achievement we know, and what obstacle people can overcome.

I like the history of great and bad men, how a nation was built, but I'm more interested of the history of war.

G

Ginza

I enjoy history immensely. Specifically, the history of lawmaking, culture, and human psychology. So yes, perhaps more sociology, but studying how humans have progressed is intriguing, to say the least.

Oblique Lynx

The nationalist conservative lynx
Banned
History is both important and fascinating

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Well, fuck me. That's the topic I've been looking to get into these past couple of weeks.

Have any good videos and/or articles and such on the topic?

Darwin's lost world, by Martin Brasier, is a very well written book which documents Brasier's career untangling the early history of life and seeking an explanation for the great burst of evolution known as the Cambrian explosion.

The Book's available for about £7 on Amazon (~70 NOK?)

Edit: I converted to Euros instead of Krona. Fixed now.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Darwin's lost world, by Martin Brasier, is a very well written book which documents Brasier's career untangling the early history of life and seeking an explanation for the great burst of evolution known as the Cambrian explosion.

The Book's available for about £7 on Amazon (~70 NOK?)

Edit: I converted to Euros instead of Krona. Fixed now.
£7 ain't much. Will check it out. £7 should be about 75 NOK at current rates. For our Americans on the forum, that's about $9.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I'm very much into history. In fact, my 'sona is even a historical themed character. I'm most interested in American history and the history of Western civilization, but I have a special focus on the twentieth century and the world wars, and the period from about the 1900s to the 1950s.

I also have a strong interest in aviation history.

Also, I see Theodore Roosevelt has been mentioned here. +1 on that. He was indeed one of the most badass figures in American history, and one of my favorites. He was like the Chuck Norris of his day, except that he actually did all the awesome shit that he was credited with, and had a list of life accomplishments that few men in history can hold a candle to. He was a statesman, outdoorsman, adventurer, soldier, trust buster, "father of conservation", professional ass kicker, and our 26th president. A man who was such steel hard, stone cold badass that he literally got shot in the chest by a would-be assassin, shrugged it off like it was nothing, and gave a speech for two hours before seeking medical attention. I'd like to see any modern day political figure try to do that. TR was exactly the kind of manly man that every boy should aspire to be when he grows up. Few people have embodied the rugged, fearless spirit that use to characterize America like TR did. We need a president like him again. He was awesome.

Badass of the Week: Theodore Roosevelt

I have heard many thing about mr Roosevelt but i would have to read more about that man.
In my country we also have many great men but unfortunately they do not get the recognition they deserve (outside of my country of course).
Zawisza Czarny (the black knight) was most likely the hardest man to ever set foot on Polish ground, born as poor man has rose to size of legend, Teutonic nightmare, honorable, one of the reasons why Polish-Hungarian friendship did not collapse in early XV century, party animal to the point that leaders from entire Europe were coming over, generous man. On one instance Pope has cursed him (by order of Teutons) and instead of walking away he boot the pope's door open and threathened him with even worse thing than a curse if he will pull back his insults. Killed in religious war (even if he he wasn't really religious) as he was protecting his men while they retreat. We had much more people that were made of steel like Mieszko 1, Wladyslaw Jagiello, Stefan Czarnecki or Josef Pilsudski.
Btw if you are interested in American history you might be interested to read about Tadeusz Kosciuszko, Casimir Pulaski and many more people.

Every nation has got great instances and that is what fascinates me.
my sona is also historical themed as a XVII Polish-Lithuanian nobility

Have a great day sir, I will have a drink in Sir Roosevelt's name

S

Some Moron

I think history is pretty neat. It's something to learn from, so we don't get another crazed dictator with too much power.